Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Level Editor Help Level editor won't set a sound entity to a sound element
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7
Level editor won't set a sound entity to a sound element

It's me again. I tried to place some sound points in the level editor, but it seems it will not let me select a sound. When I click the "..." button to choose a file, I can see the list. When I've selected a file and clicked "Load", it doesn't appear in the field (it remains blank). Same when I type the entity name by hand, it disappears as soon as I hit the enter key (unless the entity name given is invalid).

After saving my work, I also checked my map with a text editor. The sound elements are still there, but the field SoundEntityFile="" is empty. If I fill them in directly from the text editor it works fine when playing the map on amnesia, but they get all emptied as soon as I open the map with the level editor.

Any input? Undecided
01-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Find
TheGreatCthulhu Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Level editor won't set a sound entity to a sound element

Where are the snt files located (somewhere within the installation folder, special folder, desktop)? If you try to add the snt files from the game itself, does it work? Are you browsing for the snt files before you place the sound entity on your map, or after, from the Sound tab (nut sure if there's any difference, but - select sound entity, switch to Sound tab, browse for a file from there)? When you browse, does the sound play when you press the "Play" button, before loading? Also, try searching the forums, there probably were similar problems.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2013, 11:19 PM by TheGreatCthulhu.)
01-11-2013, 11:17 PM
Find
felixmole Offline

Yep, I searched the forums a few days ago, and I believe I've seen somebody else who had the same problem as me, but I cannot remember where it was exactly (Nobody answered them, anyways, in my memory).

So, to answer your question:

(01-11-2013, 11:17 PM)TheGreatCthulhu Wrote: Where are the snt files located (somewhere within the installation folder, special folder, desktop)?
They are inside the installation folder, at their normal place (FG's assets).

(01-11-2013, 11:17 PM)TheGreatCthulhu Wrote: If you try to add the snt files from the game itself, does it work?
I am not sure what you mean - from Amnesia? Well, I did not know I could do that, and don't see how. However, the sounds do work when I edit the .map with a text editor to add the entities sounds manually in the game only (and are kind of reverted as soon as I reopen the map with the lvl editor). So it is definitely not a problem with the sound files, they do work fine.

(01-11-2013, 11:17 PM)TheGreatCthulhu Wrote: Are you browsing for the snt files before you place the sound entity on your map, or after, from the Sound tab (nut sure if there's any difference, but - select sound entity, switch to Sound tab, browse for a file from there)?
I did it both ways, no difference: the sound entity file field will remain blank whatever I do.

(01-11-2013, 11:17 PM)TheGreatCthulhu Wrote: When you browse, does the sound play when you press the "Play" button, before loading?
The sounds do play correctly from the browser.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2013, 11:39 PM by felixmole.)
01-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Find
TheGreatCthulhu Offline

Threads: 10

(01-11-2013, 11:35 PM)felixmole Wrote:
(01-11-2013, 11:17 PM)TheGreatCthulhu Wrote: If you try to add the snt files from the game itself, does it work?
I am not sure what you mean - from Amnesia? Well, I did not know I could do that, and don't see how.

No, no, I meant, if you were using your own snt files, does the editor load the sound assets that came with the game - but those are the ones you're using.

Maybe the operating system denies write privileges for the installation folder to the editor app? Can you right-click, then run as admin (not sure if it will work)? Has this sort of thing happen before? If you save the map to, say, desktop (for error testing purposes only), does the sound SoundEntityFile attribute remain set?
01-12-2013, 01:34 AM
Find
felixmole Offline

Nope, it doesn't work. In fact, I am entirely relying on TDD's assets (for now). I just launched the LevelEditor with gksudo to allow me to run it as root (linux admin), but the behaviour remains the same.

I wonder if this problem is specific to the linux version of the editor.
01-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

If the placing doesn't work, you will have to deal with notepad++:

Open the .map file with notepad. Then, search this:

<Entities>
<Sound Active="true" Group="0" ID="0" MaxDistance="5" MinDistance="1" Name="Sound_1" Rotation="0 0 0" Scale="1 1 1" SoundEntityFile="sounds/00/00_creak.snt" Tag="" UseDefault="true" Volume="1" WorldPos="0 0 0" />
</Entities>

If you read, you can see that it is a sound entity. Place the sound in the level editor and put the desired sound (with text!) in "SoundEntityFile".

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
01-17-2013, 10:39 PM
Find
felixmole Offline

Yep, that's what I think I'm going to do. It's not too much of a problem in itself; what is less convenient though is that everytime I open the level editor all the sound properties are emptied... :/
01-17-2013, 11:43 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

I mean putting the sounds name in notepad++.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
01-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Find
felixmole Offline

Sorry, I may not have been clear enough: I meant that yes, your solution does work (obviously). I can put the sounds' names with a text editor. But all these properties are cleared as soon as I reopen the map with the level editor. I suppose I'll have to take care of the sounds when I'm completely done with the map... Thank you for your input.
01-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

I think Your Computer will be able to fix your issue better than I do. You could try to delete the level editor and then re-installing it.

I'm sorry, this is all I can do Sad

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
01-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Find