Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

praise of Penumbra Overture
blau Offline

Threads: 3
praise of Penumbra Overture

I finally found the time to play Overture after buying it earlier this winter.

It's a nice game, with a good script and an effective artistic ambientation.

Music and audio effects are particuraly good, the graphics are somewhat simple, which I expected, being an older game. I have not tinkered with advanced graphics settings so far. It runs on Linux flawlessly.

The storyline is very effective in creating a creepy, misterious, dark and unsettling atmosphere with only minimal game elements. I later read that the game engine is named after H.P. Lovecraft and in my opinion this literary heirloom is well deserved.

The game's weak spot is enemy combat which I never felt at ease with. It's quite clumsy and difficult to control, in my opinion, so that it is better to avoid direct confrontation with dogs and spiders when possible. That being said, it is in some sense a part of the game distinct character, not a FPS zombiekiller, but an introspective, paranoid and meditative experience.

The game is complex, but not very hard to solve provided you are very curious and inquisitive. It's not overly long.

I'm playing The black plague this nights, so far it seems even better than Overture, although a bit unsettling in its hints of physical violence.
02-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Find
maarten12100 Offline

Threads: 0
RE: praise of Penumbra Overture

The game's weak spot is enemy combat which I never felt at ease with.
It's quite clumsy and difficult to control, in my opinion, so that it is
better to avoid direct confrontation with dogs and spiders when
possible. That being said, it is in some sense a part of the game
distinct character, not a FPS zombiekiller, but an introspective,
paranoid and meditative experience.

That is the essential of the series.(don't run don't fight, hide)
You will enjoy BP I found it more scary than amnesia personaly as it was a constant threat the monsters were always there hunting for me. #turngait
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013, 11:29 PM by maarten12100.)
02-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
RE: praise of Penumbra Overture

(02-04-2013, 11:28 PM)maarten12100 Wrote: The game's weak spot is enemy combat which I never felt at ease with.
It's quite clumsy and difficult to control, in my opinion, so that it is
better to avoid direct confrontation with dogs and spiders when
possible. That being said, it is in some sense a part of the game
distinct character, not a FPS zombiekiller, but an introspective,
paranoid and meditative experience.

That is the essential of the series.(don't run don't fight, hide)
You will enjoy BP I found it more scary than amnesia personaly as it was a constant threat the monsters were always there hunting for me. #turngait

Like he said, the monsters are constantly after you... the Amnesia monsters will disappear after awhile.

I loved Penumbra Overture and Black Plague. Requiem, the expansion pack for Black Plague, doesn't really add to the story but has great puzzles.

Also, it's spelled Tuurngait. Why they have the extra 'u' I'm not sure.
02-05-2013, 01:21 AM
Find