Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

"The most exciting RPG games you've ever played"-thread
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16
RE: "The most exciting RPG games you've ever played"-thread

(02-07-2013, 02:56 AM)nackidno Wrote:
(02-07-2013, 02:51 AM)failedALIAS Wrote: Arkham Horror is fun for me. If you're playing with people who actual give a shit.

I've seen it a few times in my local games shop (they recently started to buy in board and P&P games) but I've never really thought about it, is it worth getting?

Do you have friends? If yes, are they dicks? They require a respect for fiction and role-playing.

Otherwise, yes.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2013, 02:58 AM by failedALIAS.)
02-07-2013, 02:58 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

I know a few that love HP Lovecraft so yeah Tongue

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
02-07-2013, 03:04 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

Then it's worth getting. Be warned you may have to adjust the rules for your style (particularly those of monster spawning).
02-07-2013, 03:05 AM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

(02-07-2013, 02:45 AM)nackidno Wrote: Don't get me wrong, I think JRPGs are great for what it is (just look at it's popularity, it's by no means bad objectively) I just don't like them and I don't think they are RPGs by the real meaning of the word RPG, it's to create your own role in a world that is given to you, not to be given a role, because that's a whole different thing. I'm not bashing JRPGs as a genre, I'm bashing it as RPG.

That is where I would tend to disagree.

Role Playing Game means you play a role. I understand where you are coming from; however, I tend to think of it as such:

JRPG - You are playing the role of a main character who has his/her story laid out in fate in front of him. You are playing as him, as if he were you. You meet characters along the way. You are playing a role in the story that has already been decided.

The story is provided, it's essentially a fun storybook with the ability to customize, explore, choose, etc. Usually a little bit on the linear side, unless you are talking about something like Xenoblade, Shadow of the Colossus, Chrono series, //.hack series, etc.

ARPG - You are playing the role of a character of your choice. The story isn't laid out for you, you find your story. The game only continues when you continue it, if you can find it (hinting to Daggerfall, Morrowind and Fallout 3). Oblivion was a little less obscure, Skyrim handed it to you on a silver platter. You decide everything, but your role in the story may not necessarily be a strong one (hinting to most of the Fallout series).

You find the story, it's more like real-life.

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
02-07-2013, 03:18 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

You don't have to agree, but the fact is that JRPGs don't follow traditional RPG formulas and that's the thing I find difficult to understand why they are called RPGs when they do the complete opposite.

I suggest you play the older RPGs such as Baldurs Gate 2, Fallout 1&2 (not 3). The most involving cRPGs I've played are Planescape Torment and Arcanum.

And ARPG is a different genre, Diablo is a classical ARPG (Action RPG), I might come across as a purist but I don't count them as RPGs personally, I would say Skyrim and Fallout 3 fall into this genre in a lot of ways.

Quote:You find the story, it's more like real-life.
And that's the core of the Roleplaying experience, to create the story yourself and immerse yourself in the world as the character you create. Playing an already defined role is not roleplaying, even though the term is a bit vague, you do play a role but you didn't create it, thus it's not your role, which is the premise of the RPG genre since it was first invented in the 70's. JRPGs generally break these rules, and it's actually one of the core elements of JRPGs, to not create your character but be given one.

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2013, 03:34 AM by eliasfrost.)
02-07-2013, 03:29 AM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

(02-07-2013, 03:29 AM)nackidno Wrote: And that's the core of the Roleplaying experience, to create the story yourself and immerse yourself in the world as the character you create. Playing an already defined role is not roleplaying, even though the term is a bit vague, you do play a role but you didn't create it, thus it's not your role, which is the premise of the RPG genre since it was first invented in the 70's. JRPGs generally break these rules, and it's actually one of the core elements of JRPGs, to not create your character but be given one.

I was using ARPG for American RPG. Action RPG could work, too. You are disregarding the fact that a roleplaying game is a game where you play a role as a character. JRPG is a completely viable RPG genre. You are playing the role of a character in a story, whether or not you want to agree with that. Thus, JRPG is still an RPG, regardless of what you say.

Darksouls is a JRPG. You still get to completely customize your character.

American RPG's (anything with full customization, regardless of whether you want to do it or not) is so open ended, it could also not be considered an RPG. Instead, it's more of a life simulator with RPG elements, if you want to get technical.

I'm sorry, but if you disregard this fact, that JRPG's are still RPG's according to the rules of playing the role of a given character in a given environment, leveling up, expanding options, progressing storyline, obtaining new and unique weapons, getting to choose different paths of a story, etc... Then you are clearly being too close-minded. JRPG's are still role playing games. They may be a bit more linear than your traditional American RPG, but they are still an RPG, not an action game with role playing elements.

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
02-07-2013, 03:50 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Fair enough, I still don't agree with you. Seems we are just in a "yes-no" situation here. Wink

02-07-2013, 03:55 AM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

(02-07-2013, 03:55 AM)nackidno Wrote: Fair enough, I still don't agree with you. Seems we are just in a "yes-no" situation here. Wink

Wink

02-07-2013, 04:10 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Kinda reminds me of the Loot thread over at the Path of Exile forums, it's over 470 pages long with two groups of people yelling at each other.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/392

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2013, 04:18 AM by eliasfrost.)
02-07-2013, 04:17 AM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

(02-07-2013, 04:17 AM)nackidno Wrote: Kinda reminds me of the Loot thread over at the Path of Exile forums, it's over 470 pages long with two groups of people yelling at each other.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/392

I AM NOT YELLING!!!! YOU ARE WRONG, ALWAYS WRONG.

(massive sarcasm here)

02-07-2013, 04:24 AM
Find