Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia and Virtual Surround Sound?
mail3diplo Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Amnesia and Virtual Surround Sound?

I just recently ordered a pair of surround sound headphones (Plantronics Gamecom 780). These headphones use virtual surround sound technology, as opposed to true surround sound. I got these because my computer is a laptop without real surround sound capability. Now, I've heard that virtual surround sound doesn't work with some games.

I haven't received them yet, but I was just curious as to whether or not someone has any experience with this particular headset and amnesia? I was really looking forward to playing some amnesia custom stories with surround sound. I would be bummed if it didn't work.

EDIT:
Quote:With just under 82% compatibility in my series of tests, the GameCom 780 easily meets the mark for a passing grade, though there's still plenty of room for Plantronics and C-Media to improve their drivers. Stereo was the rallying cry for the handful OpenAL titles that were tested, including all of the Unreal-based games that didn't implement a separate audio engine. There were also issues with the id Tech 4-based games, which count on the Windows speaker configuration being set to 5.1. Though Plantronics did include a 5.1 layout in the Windows control panel, since it's listed as 5.1 side and not 5.1 rear, Quake IV and Prey both failed the test.

What is openAL, and does amnesia use it? This is saying that games that use openAL, only have stereo support for these headphones.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013, 12:22 AM by mail3diplo.)
02-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Amnesia and the Platronics Gamecom 780 headphones

Have you read this?

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-4313.html
02-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Find
mail3diplo Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Amnesia and the Platronics Gamecom 780 headphones

Yes I have, but isn't that for real surround sound? I know the word "openAL" (which I'm not even sure what that is. I'm guessing it's what controls all of the sound), was metioned there, as it was also mentioned in the article I quoted. What I ordered uses software to deliver the surround sound, as opposed to hardware. It pretty much emulates surround sound.

I'm confused as to whether or not I will get surround sound on amnesia with it.

I'm just gonna link the article here:

This tells you a lot about the headset and how it works: http://www.everythingusb.com/plantronics...21467.html

If you scroll down on this one, you will see the compatibility thing I'm talking about: http://www.everythingusb.com/plantronics...467-2.html
02-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Virtual surround is...virtual which means that it is done on the fly via the headphone. I don't think the game has to be changed for that. When it comes to sound probably Jens knows the most.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2013, 11:23 PM by plutomaniac.)
02-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Find
mail3diplo Offline

It uses a usb, and I think the computer creates the sound with software. I think it registers as a surround sound device on the computer, but I'm not sure.

I guess I will find out for sure when I get the headphones.

EDIT: I think I was wrong. I think Virtual Surround sound actually converts stereo sound, to surround sound, or something like that. I'm not sure though...
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013, 03:12 AM by mail3diplo.)
02-03-2013, 11:37 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Amnesia and Virtual Surround Sound?

OpenAL is short for Open Audio Library. And if you got it, use it on Amnesia. It may or may not work. But hey, not everything is perfect. Even humans are not perfect.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
02-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Find
mail3diplo Offline

Okay, I think I have it figured out. When it comes to gaming, virtual surround sound is incompatible with certain API's. API's control the audio that we hear. Stereo sound is always compatible, so for certain games, I will be stuck with only stereo. However, my particular headset, is surround sound compatible with most games, there are just a few that I'm stuck with stereo on. From what I've read, any game that uses openAL, can only use stereo.

So this is my question, does amnesia use OpenAL? Because I read this: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-487.html

And that makes me think they use OpenAL, but I'm not sure. I now know that openAL stands for open audio library, thanks to the person above me. However, I'm still confused as to exactly what it does, or if amnesia uses it.
02-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Yes it does. All the information you need is here: http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenAL

If you want Amnesia to use the latest OpenAL library, download the .dll and place it with Amnesia.exe. The game will then load this library, instead of the Windows directory one.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013, 12:42 PM by plutomaniac.)
02-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Find
mail3diplo Offline

(02-04-2013, 12:42 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: Yes it does. All the information you need is here: http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenAL

If you want Amnesia to use the latest OpenAL library, download the .dll and place it with Amnesia.exe. The game will then load this library, instead of the Windows directory one.

How would downloading the latest .dll help me?

EDIT: Okay, so is openAL the actual surround sound software on a game? I think I get it now.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013, 10:58 PM by mail3diplo.)
02-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

You don't need to update it as there hasn't been a new version since summer 2009. The game is from 2010.
02-05-2013, 10:31 AM
Find