Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Work in progress Enjoy Your Stay at Hotel Brennenburg!
No Author Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10
RE: Need Map Designer!

(02-10-2013, 06:05 AM)NaxEla Wrote:
(02-10-2013, 05:46 AM)NotchsNemisis Wrote:
(02-10-2013, 05:42 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Looks nice. I have a few things in screenshot #3.
Don't put huge amount of [SANITY POTION], [LAUDANUM], and [OIL] in a map. It will look weird. Make the [SANITY POTION] scarce.
Use logic. One does not simply put a statue in a table! Put it in a cabinet or something.
the ones in the brackets ( the []) are items.

I don't know what happened last night, I think I met for the statue to act like it's reading the bible...

The letter on the desk also states that the castle is on lock down and the hotel's employees came around and gave everyone necessary equipment for the evacuation process, in case you encountered a decoy. If it's still odd I will definitely remove it, since this is my first custom story I have no skill in mapping, and I don't like doing it Confused.
Thank you!

Everyone is bad when they start off. You're never going to get better at mapping if you don't make maps.

Agree. If you don't like mapping, well your custom story is an unfinished CS.
You'll have to practise your mapping.

[Image: the-cabin-in-the-woods-masked-people.jpg]
02-10-2013, 06:12 AM
Find
NotchsNemisis Offline

Threads: 2

(02-10-2013, 06:07 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: You can also PM me too. But, in other CS's, you usually play as a ordinary man, not a CIA agent or something. Like Thomas said on a blog post, other so-called horror games have the main character as a secret agent or something. Also, add a backstory. What is the player's name? What is the thing he must take care of? Why did the hotel made an lockdown? Story Matters. Well, that is all i have to say about this CS.

I know not many people like slow starting stories, but I find them more interesting as you always want to know why you're playing it exactly. I am trying to connect this to the main story. I will also put the players name and maybe change the CIA Agent thing after I think about it the less it makes sense.

(02-09-2013, 04:50 AM)NotchsNemisis Wrote: I am currently in the progress of making a custom story, I have the scripts all working as I like, but, I am a horrible map designer and I have absolutely no experience with this program.

I can script the whole story as well.

Here's what the story is about:

You are a detective by the name of Blane, working to investigate the unknown events at Brennenburg Castle from the 1800s. Night has come after the first day of investigation, so you decide to stay at a hotel which is a replica of a castle, and something strange occurs and the hotel employees run to alert everyone, you find many strange happenings while leaving the hotel, are these the events that happened at Brennenburg? You must escape the hotel, but first, take care of one thing.

The story takes place in a castle hotel, if anyone is willing to help, I will do all the scripting and give you much recognition! PM me if you're interested.Big Grin

I'll also post what I've made so far below.

[Image: BfSGADk.gif]
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2013, 06:16 AM by NotchsNemisis.)
02-10-2013, 06:12 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Scares and sounds are also important.
For sounds, add some cars driving, someone talking, elevator going up/down.
For scares, have a guy to walk mysteriously, or have a woman scream, then someone gets out of that room, or just some guy walking to the elevator.
FYI, there is an elevator.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2013, 06:17 AM by PutraenusAlivius.)
02-10-2013, 06:17 AM
Find
NotchsNemisis Offline

(02-10-2013, 06:17 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Scares and sounds are also important.
For scares, have a guy to walk mysteriously, or have a woman scream, then someone gets out of that room, or just some guy walking to the elevator.

I think on the second floor I'll have a woman scream and a monster walk out and into the Mess Hall.

I forgot to add ambiance Angry

On the second floor I have 1 scare that you can pick out as soon as you enter it, I might spice it up a tad.Big Grin

02-10-2013, 06:22 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

(02-10-2013, 06:22 AM)NotchsNemisis Wrote:
(02-10-2013, 06:17 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Scares and sounds are also important.

I think on the second floor I'll have a woman scream and a monster walk out and into the Mess Hall.

I forgot to add ambiance Angry

On the second floor I have 1 scare that you can pick out as soon as you enter it, I might spice it up a tad.Big Grin
Yeah, but don't make those cheap jumpscares like naked dudes suddenly appearing, or a monster spawns when you picked up a key. Those scares are predictable and really bad. Make the player to experience something they never do.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
02-10-2013, 06:25 AM
Find
No Author Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

If you want a good scare, check how FG made their map.

[Image: the-cabin-in-the-woods-masked-people.jpg]
02-10-2013, 06:40 AM
Find
NotchsNemisis Offline

(02-10-2013, 06:40 AM)No Author Wrote: If you want a good scare, check how FG made their map.

I've got 1 scare so far and it's even scared me when I'm not paying attention!Big Grin

02-12-2013, 03:00 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: Enjoy Your Stay at Hotel Brennenburg!

From the screenshots, everything looks very empty and way too bright. Try looking at FG maps for color # values and techniques used to achieve realistic lighting and detailing.

Its a good start, though Big Grin

I rate it 3 memes.
02-12-2013, 03:10 AM
Find
NotchsNemisis Offline

(02-12-2013, 03:10 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: From the screenshots, everything looks very empty and way too bright. Try looking at FG maps for color # values and techniques used to achieve realistic lighting and detailing.

Its a good start, though Big Grin

Thanks! I'm starting to look at more maps and add more objects to get rid of the empty feeling, and I'll work on the brightness as well Big Grin

02-12-2013, 03:21 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Use the enemies from Amnesia: Justine. Those monsters makes sense since in [SECRETSECRETSECRETSECRETSECR] are naked, you should use the Suitors. It does make you think;
"Are they still alive? Because i saw one."

"Veni, vidi, vici."
02-12-2013, 07:22 AM
Find