Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A newcomer who looks for work
draanexle Offline

Threads: 2
A newcomer who looks for work

Hello forum.
I am a newcomer to the forum, but far from new to the Frictional Games.

So, let me introduce myself.
My name is Draanexle and I've had, literally, huge interest for Amnesia ever since I saw this funny video about this guy going nuts.
I assume everyone has seen it, but in case you haven't - search for "Holy shit wtf amnesia" on youtube and it should be the first result (since I assume I won't be able to post links since I just created my account).

Since then, I have been watching far too many hours of Amnesia, and played a little of Penumbra and Amnesia aswell. I can easily say that I've watched over 100 hours of Amnesia, and because of that I've aswell started to realize how some custom stories are... Kinda "meh".

I can't make my own custom maps, because I haven't learned how to make the maps and I am not that much in mood of it, so instead I would like to find a "team" who could fix something together (or just someone who needs help with something).
I would love to try to figure out good stories and actually attempt to make the story great, and I wouldn't mind practicing to make different voices for voice acting, and I think and feel like because of how much I've been watching, playing and reading about just Amnesia and some other horrors, then I feel like I should atleast be somewhat useful.

I have lots of plans in mind alredy, and I "type down" inside my head what seems to be considering as horror to others + myself, and try to find it great.
I am willing to use lots of time for a custom story to make it special, and to make it remarkable.

I am sorry if this text is a bit misleading.

Sincerly,
Draanexle.
02-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: A newcomer who looks for work

Well, as advice to you, if you're looking into getting into modding Amnesia AKA making custom stories. You should practice with the editors, and such first.

If such areas are not what you're looking for, and writing, voice-acting, and/or music is more of your thing, and you're looking to join a team, or be "hired", post samples of work work for everyone to see so they'll know what you're capable of better.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
02-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

What Kreekakon said.

Additionally, you should know that in order to contribute well to a project, you need to at least have a good familiarity with the tools and the process that goes into mod creation, even if your planned role is just in concept / writing. There are certain limitations to any game engine, knowing the constraints of the platform is very important, to weed out elements that are not implementable before you spend too much time thinking about them, and to make sure that what you plan makes best of the advantages of the engine you have.

Quote:"I haven't learned how to make the maps and I am not that much in mood of it"
"I have lots of plans in mind alredy"
Additionally-additionally, you should know that everyone gets into game/mod making because they have awesome ideas. If you are not able, or even willing to learn how to do the practicle part, it does not bode well. Plus, the making part is super fun when you get into it, you might love it! But you gotta try Smile

02-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Find
draanexle Offline

@Kreekanon:
"Well, as advice to you, if you're looking into getting into modding Amnesia AKA making custom stories. You should practice with the editors, and such first.
If such areas are not what you're looking for, and writing, voice-acting, and/or music is more of your thing, and you're looking to join a team, or be "hired", post samples of work work for everyone to see so they'll know what you're capable of better."

Hmm well, I thought at first that I should of course maybe work my way through from bottom to top of course, and I shouldn't expect far too much since the engine is in fact limited Smile
I will most likely attempt myself onto building the maps sooner or later, but as of right now I don't have much thoughts about doing so. But well, I doubt it's so hard when you've really learned it, it's just to get the more perfection which will be a little harder to master ( no glitches in the walls etc).

@Adrianis:
"What Kreekakon said.

Additionally, you should know that in order to contribute well to a project, you need to at least have a good familiarity with the tools and the process that goes into mod creation, even if your planned role is just in concept / writing. There are certain limitations to any game engine, knowing the constraints of the platform is very important, to weed out elements that are not implementable before you spend too much time thinking about them, and to make sure that what you plan makes best of the advantages of the engine you have.
Quote:Quote:"I haven't learned how to make the maps and I am not that much in mood of it"
"I have lots of plans in mind alredy"
Additionally-additionally, you should know that everyone gets into game/mod making because they have awesome ideas. If you are not able, or even willing to learn how to do the practicle part, it does not bode well. Plus, the making part is super fun when you get into it, you might love it! But you gotta try [Image: smile.gif]"

- Yeah, as I said in the previous response. I know that I shouldn't have too high goals in the beginning and work my way upwards, and I shouldn't have too many expectations since there probably is somewhat hard to make new good custom stories now without modding a lot, considering how long it has been etc.

I assume I should maybe try to fix the story for myself kind of, and try to practice a little and when the AAMFP comes out I'll try to make something then Smile

New question:
Is there someone who could post some links which are very helpful for starters? I would prefer guides with text, and not videos, but videos are ofc ok aswell.
Yes, I can search myself, but I think it's always better to ask since someone might redirect me to a good guide which I wouldn't find otherwise.

Aswell, have you done any work yourself / tried to play around?
02-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(02-11-2013, 05:37 PM)draanexle Wrote: New question:
Is there someone who could post some links which are very helpful for starters? I would prefer guides with text, and not videos, but videos are ofc ok aswell.
Yes, I can search myself, but I think it's always better to ask since someone might redirect me to a good guide which I wouldn't find otherwise.

Aswell, have you done any work yourself / tried to play around?

The entire dev wiki:
http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/

Read, and memorize slave!!

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
02-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

... or more specifically,

http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tut...tutorial_1

That's a good intro for the level ed, probably the best place to start, the following tutorials are on the same place in the wiki

At the bottom of that tutorial listing is also a couple of folders full of simple script tutorials/examples, their probably a good place to start scripting, with this page http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn..._functions being the almighty source of all available script functions. You'll want to at least glance over all of them in time, because you'll need to know what you can do even though you can't possible memorize all of them (contrary to what our peer (above) suggest)

Good luck, mate Smile

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2013, 09:13 PM by Adrianis.)
02-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

If this is your first try, study it. Learn more about the Level Editor or Scripting. If you do that, maybe in the near future, you will go as some famous people. The key is learning.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
02-12-2013, 05:58 AM
Find
Miss Rigi Offline

Threads: 3

As someone whose entire mode of contribution is what you're aiming for (i.e. writing, voice acting, conceptual work) I can tell you that looking to make a team is going to be much, much harder than looking to join one. Additionally, I've been working in Timorem for over a year and only yesterday did I finally look into the level editor and really regret waiting so long. It's worth it to play around, even if you don't end up mapping or scripting for your group. Get to know your medium really, really well. It's worth it.

Vos rapio meus spiritus absentis.
Voice Actress
02-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Find
draanexle Offline

Thanks for all responses, will try starting playing around with it when I get some extra time.
02-14-2013, 08:43 AM
Find