Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia: Where did the Servants Come From
bluel0bster Offline

Threads: 11
Amnesia: Where did the Servants Come From

As I understood it, servants were a result of Alexander locking them in the wine cellars and poisoning them, turning them into what they are (as hinted at by the flashback dialogue of the servants talking in the cellar). I always understood this as being a one-time event that took place sometime between when Daniel took the amnesia potion and when Daniel wakes up at the beginning of the game.

I assumed this because it doesn't seemed probable that the servants were the same way we see them in the game as there's no way Daniel would have stayed in Brennenburg had the servants been as deformed as they are in their current state.

However, I just ran across a note from my second play through, which reads:

Unfortunately, only a few of the servants have been remedied as the procedure proved difficult. The others will perish, and eventually I will have to create more of them to keep my experiments running.

which seems to suggest that the process of turning servants into gatherers is an on-going process.

Any insight on what's going on with the servants, where they came from, and when/how they were turned into gatherers?
02-15-2013, 04:07 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Amnesia: Where did the Servants Come From

Alexander's servants are said to be soldiers who abandoned their duty and got lost in the woods during the Thirty Years war. From the beginning, Alexander's servants were already malformed when Daniel came in to Brennenburg. However, to hide their monstrous appearance, they use a cloak as said by Daniel in a diary or note: There's some servants who are skulking, and sneaking.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
02-15-2013, 04:37 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

As I understood it, Alexander took some people, fucked them up, and gave them vitae to keep functioning and doing his will

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
02-15-2013, 04:39 AM
Find
bluel0bster Offline

Threads: 11

(02-15-2013, 04:37 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Alexander's servants are said to be soldiers who abandoned their duty and got lost in the woods during the Thirty Years war. From the beginning, Alexander's servants were already malformed when Daniel came in to Brennenburg. However, to hide their monstrous appearance, they use a cloak as said by Daniel in a diary or note: There's some servants who are skulking, and sneaking.

I thought about this, but I find it hard to believe Daniel could have lived in Brennenburg for any extended period of time and not notice that the servants were basically very mutilated, slightly more intelligent zombies.

Additionally, how did they know to attack Daniel after he took the amnesia potion? There's no sign Alexander communicates with the gatherers, they kinda just wander around the castle. And even if he does, it took a ways into the game, way after the first encounter with a servant if I remember, for Alexander to even realize what Daniel was doing (i.e. trying to kill him).
02-15-2013, 05:00 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

(02-15-2013, 05:00 AM)atilathegun Wrote:
(02-15-2013, 04:37 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Alexander's servants are said to be soldiers who abandoned their duty and got lost in the woods during the Thirty Years war. From the beginning, Alexander's servants were already malformed when Daniel came in to Brennenburg. However, to hide their monstrous appearance, they use a cloak as said by Daniel in a diary or note: There's some servants who are skulking, and sneaking.

I thought about this, but I find it hard to believe Daniel could have lived in Brennenburg for any extended period of time and not notice that the servants were basically very mutilated, slightly more intelligent zombies.

Additionally, how did they know to attack Daniel after he took the amnesia potion? There's no sign Alexander communicates with the gatherers, they kinda just wander around the castle. And even if he does, it took a ways into the game, way after the first encounter with a servant if I remember, for Alexander to even realize what Daniel was doing (i.e. trying to kill him).
Have you finished the game? If you're not done yet, then don't see spoilers below.
Spoiler below!
Near the end of the game, Alexander talks to you telepathically, right? Well, maybe that's how he commands his servants.
And the servants probably used a hood or cloak or something to hide their monstrous appearence, and also, a diary or note says that some of them are sneaking and skulking. Besides, when they are
Spoiler below!
torturing people,
Only Daniel did it and Alexander that told him to. The servants never showed up.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
02-15-2013, 05:11 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

It's been discussed before that Daniel is having this mental disease, where his sanity goes crazy in the darkness.

Maybe he was hallucinating all the way through the game. Maybe they were just normal men, which Daniels mind turned into monstrous beasts.

Trying is the first step to success.
02-15-2013, 06:52 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

(02-15-2013, 06:52 AM)BeeKayK Wrote: It's been discussed before that Daniel is having this mental disease, where his sanity goes crazy in the darkness.

Maybe he was hallucinating all the way through the game. Maybe they were just normal men, which Daniels mind turned into monstrous beasts.
If Daniel were hallucinating them all along, then why these "normal" people be in absurd places? In a cellar, a storage, a prison. But then again, this is a theory, so....

"Veni, vidi, vici."
02-15-2013, 06:54 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(02-15-2013, 06:54 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote:
(02-15-2013, 06:52 AM)BeeKayK Wrote: It's been discussed before that Daniel is having this mental disease, where his sanity goes crazy in the darkness.

If Daniel were hallucinating them all along, then why these "normal" people be in absurd places? In a cellar, a storage, a prison. But then again, this is a theory, so....

Because they were sent by Alexander to go get Daniel, wherever he was.

Trying is the first step to success.
02-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1

According to a diary, Alexander's cloaked servants always remain out of sight. Maybe he assumes Alexander has taken in lepers or something?
02-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

(02-15-2013, 10:50 AM)Funderbunk Wrote: According to a diary, Alexander's cloaked servants always remain out of sight. Maybe he assumes Alexander has taken in lepers or something?
waht is lepers?

"Veni, vidi, vici."
02-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Find