Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Slender: The Arrival Beta
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Slender: The Arrival Beta

Quote:Also the story is written by the Marble Hornets people, so I'm sure it'll be weird as hell.
I think this is cool but also worrying. I love marble hornets. Or, at least I love the first 20 entries... Later when they actually get more into pushing a story, they fall into some pretty cliche horror tropes.

Either way. The game itself has some wonderful visuals so far and the trailer looks nice. I think a lot of people are underestimating its potential based solely on the limitations of the original and its uninspired knockoffs.
02-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Find
Heurell Horribillis Offline

Threads: 1

Yeah it looks alright, but as a soon Slendermythos-ARGer/ARG fan I only became interested when the creators of MarbleHornets became involved.
However, it still doesn't seem to have much relating to the Big Three and their storylines.
I still have a slight disliking of the game for the huge waves of crap it brought into the mythos, and how every female PewDiePie fan seems to want to get f**ked by 'him'.
Besides, the game doesn't have
[Image: tumblr_inline_mhqycuXkAt1qz4rgp.png]

[Image: tumblr_me6k4aKtFr1rj8ss0o3_500.gif]
02-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Website Find
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2

I don't see why people let youtubers like Pewdiepie affect their view on a game. They also cover Amnesia and plenty of indie horror games in general. But they aren't representative of the game itself or the developers' intentions.

It'd be like condemning Portal just because 'The Cake is a Lie' meme is disgustingly overused.
02-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

(02-21-2013, 06:57 PM)Heurell Horribillis Wrote: I still have a slight disliking of the game for the huge waves of crap it brought into the mythos

I can hardly believe this argument because I went back into the Mythos all the way down to Victor Surge's original photoshops on Something Awful. There are like 2 good ARGs (Marble Hornets and EverymanHybrid) and the 4 good Slender blogs there all stopped years ago. It brought waves of crap? It brought slightly more crap into a mythos that by that point had already devolved into mindless, ridiculous and terrible copycatting and had long since gone past its high point. You're a bit late to the scene if you're still going to ARG about it now.

That's just my opinion though, I found maybe a few things from the Mythos interesting and most of it contradicted itself. It's an odd thing to say about a Mythos that was 100% community driven in the first place to say someone caused it to be ruined.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2013, 08:17 PM by rtjhbfvsrry.)
02-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Find
Heurell Horribillis Offline

It wasn't PewDiePie who brought the rubbish, it's just that there are loads of people making up some pretty disturbing stuff about a character they know nothing about.
I suppose that isn't exactly the fault of the game, but the original never gave credit to the YouTube series.
And there are still quite a few decent ARGs going that aren't as well known. In what way is it mindless?

[Image: tumblr_me6k4aKtFr1rj8ss0o3_500.gif]
02-21-2013, 09:02 PM
Website Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

No, I meant Parsec and his original Slender game. You said it brought the waves of crap.

Not sure why it would have to credit the YouTube series since even Marble Hornets didn't credit any of the original Slenderblogs and CreepyPastas nor Victor Surge who is the creator of Slenderman. Like I said, the Slenderman Mythos is and has always been a 100% fan creation. Even Marble Hornets is in essence fan fiction in video form and all of it is ridiculously contradictory. For example, one story would have Slenderman never coming close and people disappearing without explanation other than knowing he was close, others would have him actively dismembering people. This mythos was a mess of disgusting proportions well before the game or any youtuber came along - it's in fact part of the charm. Slenderman is a mysterious figure and nobody knows the real thing.

I do agree that some of the newer ones are truly awful - Slenderman protecting little girls? What? The game itself is pretty faithful.

EDIT: Wait a minute, it mentioned Marble Hornets in the credits and I think in the readme as well.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2013, 10:01 PM by rtjhbfvsrry.)
02-21-2013, 09:58 PM
Find
NightSshadeGaming Offline

Threads: 3

First of all the first slender was much harder. The map (or at least from what I saw) was much bigger than Arrival. Also, there were almost no paths, so you had to wander around the woods without ANY sense of orientation... In arrival, the notes were really easy to find, I found 4 in 2 minutes... I still didn't manage to finish the game because it lagged for me (14 FPS) since I recorded the game, but for the graphics/detailing part, arrival totally beats the original slender (although I believe slender isn't about graphics because I'm quite sure everyone will agree that a scary game doesn't necessarily have mega-fancy graphics). I find the new slender fun to play, and it will be updated alot (the creator himself said that), so I'm looking forward to seeing the story behind it Smile

As for which game is better - I prefer the original one.

Second Scary/Funny montage :P Even better than the first one!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3a89LPxvBk
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2013, 06:36 AM by NightSshadeGaming.)
02-22-2013, 06:36 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(02-21-2013, 04:55 PM)Exostalker Wrote:
(02-21-2013, 03:04 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Crazy combination:
Play Slender, Slender: The Arrival, Penumbra: Overture, Penumbra: Black Plague, and finally Amnesia one after the other. YOU CANNOT SLEEP FOR 2 MONTHS!

Remove all the slenders from this list and THEN you won't sleep for 2 months.
Wait, Play these games in an order
Penumbra: Overture, Black Plague, Requiem, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Silent Hill 1, 2, 3, And Fatal Frame 1, 2 and 3.
(If possible, include the upcoming AAMFP.)

"You won't sleep for a half year." - The dude who tried.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2013, 07:16 AM by PutraenusAlivius.)
02-22-2013, 07:16 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I dunno how games manage to make people lose sleep. I know you're probably joking with that post, I'm just talking about people who say they actually lose sleep over a videogame. With a movie or book or short story I can understand because you're being presented a story that you're not actively part of so when it ends it's easy to apply aspects of it to your own life, but with games I'm only really scared when I'm actually in the game.

Posting Freak
02-22-2013, 09:06 AM
Website Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(02-22-2013, 09:06 AM)Kman Wrote: I dunno how games manage to make people lose sleep. I know you're probably joking with that post, I'm just talking about people who say they actually lose sleep over a videogame. With a movie or book or short story I can understand because you're being presented a story that you're not actively part of so when it ends it's easy to apply aspects of it to your own life, but with games I'm only really scared when I'm actually in the game.

Games can make you to loose sleep. Thanks to your Brain, it can be brought using either nightmares or imagining a monster being there, although it's not. I usually sleep at 10PM, but this one day after playing Amnesia, i slept in line 00.04 PM. I was told by my sis.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
02-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Find