Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Puzzles, what are they good for?
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184
Puzzles, what are they good for?

Some thoughts on puzzles in games that try to tell a story.

http://frictionalgames.blogspot.se/2013/...d-for.html
02-21-2013, 08:22 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Puzzles, what are they good for?

I kind of agree. And the puzzles were actually to heighten the player's sense of presence? I thought they make the game a bit more challenging. And thank you for the CoCBig GrinCOTE spoilers.
EDIT: AND YOU HAVE TO DELETE PUZZLES IN THE SUPER SECRET PROJECT?! WHY?! I have a feeling that it isn't horror....

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2013, 11:04 AM by PutraenusAlivius.)
02-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

People should concentrate on the "The whole is greater than the sum".
02-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Find
Brosive Offline

Threads: 9

(02-21-2013, 10:50 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: I kind of agree. And the puzzles were actually to heighten the player's sense of presence? I thought they make the game a bit more challenging. And thank you for the CoCBig GrinCOTE spoilers.
EDIT: AND YOU HAVE TO DELETE PUZZLES IN THE SUPER SECRET PROJECT?! WHY?! I have a feeling that it isn't horror....

Well, in Frictionals Penumbra: Requiem...
Spoiler below!
their was nothing, but puzzles and it wasn't even horror and it wasn't made to be horror, it was just a puzzle game.

[Image: avenged_sevenfold_banner_by_pngsforfree-d48nxnc.gif]
02-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1

I enjoyed the puzzles in Amnesia immensely because they gave me a reason to go forward. Whenever I didn't have a clear objective I'd question whether or not I should go forward and just get terrified again.

I also liked the puzzle design because they were either based on logic and observation or common sense. First time I played it I actually got stuck several times because I was thinking far too "gamey". I'd go What item do I need to find so I can actually set this explosive mixture off? and then proceed to run around for half an hour in the dark, wasting all my oil, then throwing a rock at the thing in frustration and get blown up because I was absolutely flabberghasted at how simple the solution was.

HUGE improvement over old school adventure game puzzle design. "The only way to open this door is to put a fish on the hinges! Why? Because we say so!"
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2013, 05:52 PM by rtjhbfvsrry.)
02-21-2013, 05:51 PM
Find
Diz Offline

Threads: 4

I also enjoyed the puzzles in The Dark Descent. I became stuck on some of them, but other than that, I felt they added a nice touch to the game. Even if some puzzles are considered easy, they still force you to use your mind a little and not merely try to conquer your fear.

As long as puzzles are not too hard, I think it is both fun and interesting trying to solve them while being scared and anticipating that something might happen underway. Puzzles in Amnesia add interaction so that you actually get to do something other than walking around. As Funderbunk mentioned, the solution to something appeared quite simple in the end, and at the same time, thinking like that is not always easy when terrified, which makes it even more interesting and fun to try, in my opinion. =)

Radidsh is my alternate name. Hungry for horror games? Check out my channel!
02-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

why do i have a REALLY bad feeling about super secret project?
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2013, 08:28 PM by the dark side.)
02-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1

Because you're a huge pessimist?
02-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

probably,. im worried its going to be a very easy game... im not so happy about that, i dont like easy games, i like to Work for my ending cutscene! if i wanted to just experience a "story"... id watch Robocop.. if you know what i mean Smile
02-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

@the dark side, thomas already explained why they don't make their games hard. Main focus of their games is immersion and experiencing the story. If a player keeps dying on 1 same location and is forced to repeat the same sequence all over again 15 times it 1. breaks immersion 2. annoys the player

FG games are not something that you say "I managed to complete it", its more of a "i managed to experience it"

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
02-21-2013, 10:40 PM
Find