Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

PS4 Revealed
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8
RE: PS4 Revealed

Quote: given that microsoft are american
wut.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
02-22-2013, 11:15 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

American Megacorp = Greedy, common sense.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2013, 11:19 PM by the dark side.)
02-22-2013, 11:19 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(02-22-2013, 11:19 PM)the dark side Wrote: American Megacorp = Greedy, common sense.

*cough*Valve*cough*ArenaNet*coughcough*

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
02-22-2013, 11:22 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

@Darkside: Ignorance is bliss

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
02-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

err, valve isnt a megacorp, it is a small company, it hires 200 guys. Megacorps are people like activision and microsoft. real life OCP's. i dont know arena net so i cant comment, in the mean time, i am giving those sites HELL for the incorrect information over PS4, i am a strong beleiver in the Honor systemm sony has been besmirched... and now i will set that right.

i am now only boycotting the games, not the hardware.
02-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Dark side, there is no such thing as a greedy megacorp in gaming. It's a niche market at best and designing games is very time consuming, difficult and unprofitable in general.
02-23-2013, 09:11 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

i beg to differ bridge.

look at EA or Activision, the same game, over and over, rushed out, full of bugs, baseline playable due to all the glitches, only gets a good review because the publisher paid for it, 500 tons of DLC at 8 pounds a pack, despite the fact all the content is on disk and has technically already been purchased...what is that if its not greed?

also. designing a game isn't difficult,. ive "designed" several, its programming them thats the swine, and seeing as most of todays developers are too damn lazy to do anything but rush out a quick and nasty clone of a certain massive selling warfare franchise, your design often gets thrown out the window for something that would be easier for there lazy designers to programme and cheaper for them to make, so the publisher can fleece more money from the punters via Overpriced map pack DLC, wich is actually just a code to unlock multiplayer maps, already on disk, based around 5 or 6 rooms of an SP level, again, greed.

sorry bridge, ive HAD real life dealings with games publishers, trying to get them to "lease" an IP, with no results, as it "wouldnt appeal to american console players" (GENUINE publisher reaction from a canadian company whos name starts with U!) despite the lease clearly saying the IP has to be PC exclusive owing to console controllers not having enough controll functions. its just they look at the sales of Black Ops and think "MMS genre, Bias to Consoles=sales record= massive profits for minimal effort" without stopping to think about the fact the Console MMS genre is oversaturated to the point of collapse.

I have seen with my own eyes just how greedy they are, if it isnt going to give them at least 2 billion bucks in profit, they dont want to know. you dont need 2 billion bucks in profit. thats just greed. 40,000,000 is more than enough, the average AAA game costs only 8-10 million bucks to make... thats still a good 30 million bucks profit! and you can get that with only 1 million steam sales at $40 a copy!. even an indie 2d platformer can overtake that number!

so i am afraid i have to agree to disagree on that one.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2013, 09:45 PM by the dark side.)
02-23-2013, 09:13 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

You are too biased to even further a good discussion DarkSide, sorry to tell you but that's how it is, you can't have an objective discussion without throwing your unrelated personal preferences in there, and it's getting really annoying.

Quote:look at EA or Activision, the same game, over and over, rushed out, full of bugs, baseline playable due to all the glitches, only gets a good review because the publisher paid for it
Interplay made buggy games, black isle did buggy games, troica made buggy games. And they were all the same (semi-turnbased isometric RPGs), so you are telling me that they suck?

Quote:500 tons of DLC at 8 pounds a pack, despite the fact all the content is on disk and has technically already been purchased...what is that if its not greed?
Tell me, how many times have this happened? You know what, less than 10 times since forever and people have been bitching about it all over the world (and rightfully so). You are exaggerating the problem to easier pound your point through and it make you look silly, because everyone knows you're downright misinformed.

Quote:also. designing a game isn't difficult,. ive "designed" several, its programming them thats the swine, and seeing as most of todays developers are too damn lazy to do anything but rush out a quick and nasty clone of a certain massive selling warfare franchise, your design often gets thrown out the window for something that would be easier for there lazy designers to programme and cheaper for them to make, so the publisher can fleece more money from the punters via Overpriced map pack DLC, wich is actually just a code to unlock multiplayer maps, already on disk, based around 5 or 6 rooms of an SP level, again, greed.
The devs want to make good games, but the publishers are pushing them back with time restrains and limited creative freedom, you are once again mixing things up, I'm suprised you don't understand that very basic concept (that have been a problem in the entertainment business for decades and decades) considering you are supposedly making games.

Quote:sorry bridge, ive HAD real life dealings with games publishers, trying to get them to "lease" an IP, with no results, as it "wouldnt appeal to american console players" (GENUINE publisher reaction from a canadian company whos name starts with U!) despite the lease clearly saying the IP has to be PC exclusive owing to console controllers not having enough contrill functions. its just they look at the sales of Black Ops and think "consoles=sales record" without stopping to think about the fact the Console MMS genre is oversaturated to the point of collapse.
*cough*Kickstarter*couch*, or Publish the game yourself Online.

Quote:I have seen with my own eyes just how greedy they are, if it isnt going to give them at least 2 billion bucks in profit, they dont want to know. you dont need 2 billion bucks in profit. thats just greed. 40,000,000 is more than enough, the average AAA game costs only 8-10 million bucks to make... thats still a good 30 million bucks profit! and you can get that with only 1 million steam sales at $40 a copy!. even an indie 2d platformer can overtake that number!
You seem very naive to think that a big company will publish a game made by some dude they've never heard before (and don't have a recognizable name even in the indie industry) and throw a lot of money on something that will most likely not give them any profit in return, and then to call them greedy? You sir, don't understand how business work, times have changed, old time FPS is not wanted by todays standard. But if you desperatly want your games to be out there, then go ahead and publish it yourself and promote it on forums and sites. Crying over a publishers because they don't want to throw their money on something that won't give them money in return is extremely ignorant.

02-23-2013, 09:58 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

yes, they do suck. any game that is buggy is unfit for release, it is as simple as that. when i pay money, i expect what i have purchased to work correctly, if it does not, I DEMAND my money back, same as when my PS3 packed up after 12 months, i could have it it replaced, but no, i had my money back instead, because i didn't get what i had paid for. a RELIABLE WELL MADE PRODUCT, wich my PS3 wasn't, and thus, in my opinion, was not fit for sale to me. ok, i was biased a bit by only having one, not very good, game on it, but still, when i have a NES that still works as good as day one after 20 years, for a new system to die in one year, despite being used very rarely, is just unacceptably shoddy workmanship in that one unit.

also, all those Developers are bankrupt, doubtless because of there own ineptitude.

it isnt being restricted, its lazyness, most of the original founding fathers of many development studios, angered at all the time restraints and creative restrictions foisted on them by the megacorps have walked out to form, new, indipendant companies, those who have stayed on are just lazy/incompetant sods who know that they canot make a good game to save there bloody lives and know they can use things like "creative restrictions" to disquise there own shortcomings, Titus software being a Perfect example of this. It wasnt DC restrictions that crippled them, they didnt help matters no, but the core issue was a lazy, incompetant development team.

or. look at gearbox, colonial marines, a game hated on by most of the community for beign short, broken, lacking in AI, outdated in looks, and Not being sure if it was an old time FPS (medkits and no gun limit) or a Modern Military Shooter (corridors, ADS, xpand hairs, controll hints, waypoints, QTE and Partial health regen) and ending up appealing to neither crowd. They had 6 years to make it, and over 20 million dollars to spend.
And dont say games like borderlands got in the way, as they were handled by the "A" dev team. Marines by "team B" and the godawfull DNF by Team C. for a team to only churn out badly made, schizophrenic nonsense after 6 years is such blatently obvious incompetance a child could see it!. come on, they couldnt even decide if they wanted an MMS or an FPS, leaving the game with a Bi-Polar mix of both, that is the ultimate incompetance, you either admit to being elitst and make an FPS, or you sell out to greed and make an MMS, you dont try to mix both or youll just anger both crowds and fail to sell to the majority of either. how did they fail to see that fundamental issue, a lack of clear target demographic? answer, incompetance.

two issues. 1. Kickstater can offer, at most, 500,000 pounds, the game needs, to be developed to an acceptable standard, at least £3,000,000. 500,000 wont even buy the graphics engine! let alone the whole game! self publishing offers even bigger issues as i can raise, at most, 10,000 pounds, not even enough for an 8 bit platformer. thats a gameplay demo at best.

you are being biased now, COD is the one that is not wanted on PC, sales of MMS on that platform have fallen through the floor, they only sell in ludicrous and unwarrented numbers on consoles due to the sheer number of "n00bs" on those systems, if you look at STEAM, you will see the main selling genres on that service are. .Platformers, Puzzlers, old Time FPS, and RPG games.

do your research before you attempt to bash me. i dont have TIME for call of duty excusionists sprouting crap like "old time fps isnt wanted by modern standards",. that is IGN propoganda, and pro console stupidity. all you need to do is look at steam,. and you will see that PC still prefers old time FPS over the VASTLY INFERIOR modern excuse.

again, its megacorps like activision and Ea PAYING people like IGN to sprout propoganda about how much cooler games like COD and Battlefield and Nu-NFS are to older games, despite them actually being vastly inferior, so those games are baught by "new gamers" who dont know how bad the games are because they naievly trust the paid trolls at places like IGN, to increase there Profits, again, GREED.

Also, nackidno, you are now on ignore.

now, kindly all stop with the bashing on my opinions, so i can shut down my account here in peace as i am no longer willing to be a member of this community as a disturbing majority of its members, although thankfully, not all, are too "modern" and "casual" to fit with my viewpoints and are only leaving me feeling disgusted, harrassed, and about as welcome as a bacon sandwich in a mosque!, without having to defend myself from people endavouring to make me look like a damn troll every 5 seconds, when all i have done is politely disagreed with someone for saying somethign that goes against my own personal experiences with the industry , so i can move to a considerably more elitist forum or a blogsite to start my own blog "The Depressed Old Time FPS Elitist". thank you!

call me crazy, but i cant quit while im feeling bashed, id feel like i was "pussying out!" and that, to me, is the ultimate insult!
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2013, 11:02 PM by the dark side.)
02-23-2013, 10:17 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Like I said you are too biased to forward a good discussion, I'm not even going to answer to what you just said, and I'm out.

EDIT: I'm not bashing you, I'm trying to rationalize with you, but you are too full of yourself to see that. And exposing the flaws in how you view the state of the industry makes you feel uncomfortable, and it's sad.

EDIT2: Removed unnecessarry profanity

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2013, 11:05 PM by eliasfrost.)
02-23-2013, 10:21 PM
Find