Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Work in progress Pinnacle of Evolution
Bronzedragon316 Offline

Threads: 5
Pinnacle of Evolution

Pinnacle of Evolution

A few years ago one man put together a team. The goal was to achieve perfection for everybody. After years of constant research their dream has finally been achieved. The only thing left to do was celebrate.

As one of the team members you have to finish cleaning the rooms up before the closing meeting can be held by your boss. Seems simple enough...

[Image: Amnesia_2013_02_23_11_26_49_30.jpg]
[Image: Amnesia_2013_02_23_14_14_10_54.jpg]
[Image: Amnesia_2013_02_23_14_29_47_11.jpg]

Hello there, this is a work in Progress (obviously) so for now I'll I've got to give you is a "demo" of the first three area's I've built. Hope you enjoy it I'm open to any and all criticism's as long as it's constructive and not needless hate

http://www.mediafire.com/?mnwwnj101c8iw8x

My goal for this project is, first of all, to see my capabilities as a map designer, this project was originally going to be a side thing for me and my friends, unfortunately shortly after making the story they all quit on me.

What I'm trying to achieve with this story is what the old RE games did. It made you wonder what was behind the next corner, whether it was actually in your best interest to advance. I've also tried to lessen the "linearity" of the game by adding side doors to go into. One hidden key for a bonus door is in right now. It should be pretty easy to get.

The Monster right now is staying as a grunt but I'm hoping to change that up. I've given him custom voices done by yours truly Hope you enjoy and I'll be happy to hear what you think of it.
[/font]

One of by buddies is working on my grammar in the notes so for any Grammar Nazis out there I ask you to just hold on it's being fixed!
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2013, 12:01 AM by Bronzedragon316.)
02-23-2013, 11:59 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42
RE: Pinnacle of Evolution

I like the story but those screens look really... Plain. You should add a lot of detail to make it look better.
02-24-2013, 01:16 AM
Find
youngblood128 Offline

Threads: 2

Agree there's a lot of open space in those images so maybe consider some more detail. The story sounds pretty good I'm looking forward to it. I'm just getting started on doing lets plays so to help publicize myself I'll play your map so I hope to see it's release soon Good Luck!

TechOFreak128
02-24-2013, 04:17 PM
Find
Bronzedragon316 Offline

I'll try and fix them up them up then. Would the third image be more towards what you're thinking of?
02-25-2013, 05:36 AM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

(02-25-2013, 05:36 AM)Bronzedragon316 Wrote: I'll try and fix them up them up then. Would the third image be more towards what you're thinking of?

The floor is still plain, everything is nice and in order. You should try to create a mess, you know: Bread on the floor, turn them around, some rocks, particle systems, etc. There are so many ways to make your map better.

Okay, I just downloaded the demo and tried it out. Where to begin..

- The rooms are all the same. It looks like you copy + pasted them and just changed the furniture around. The desks are copied at least, because in every drawer in every desk was 1 tinderbox. Try to play around without the grid on (Little magnet in the level editor) so it won't look as straight and neat every time.

- The hallway was plain. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be scary, but it's not. It's mildly frustrating when you reached the final room (Without finding anything) to walk all your way back to research every room. You should try some stuff out, put some candles on the tables, books, place shields on the wall, etc. Just make it look a bit more appealing

- Note placement. You could try out different places. Every time on the desk is getting boring. I was like: "Okay, I'll check the desk first because of the note.." And of course, there it was.

- Lights. I noticed you used pointlights on the chandeliers in the rooms, but if you make them too big, they'll glitch trough the wall, making them visible in other rooms. Try to fix that.

- And I guess you're a bro? Because the first 3 items you start with are: Note, key and a golden (stephano) statue. I'm sorry to tell you, but Felix isn't going to play this CS.

I'm being very harsh here, and I know it. But I know it's the best for this CS.
I liked the story. You just have to create a better atmosphere to make it scary.

I hope you learned from this, and good luck fixing everything Wink
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2013, 08:10 AM by OriginalUsername.)
02-25-2013, 07:53 AM
Find
Bronzedragon316 Offline

I am a bro, but the golden statue was put there for my buddy, he wanted to play it first and I put in a golden statue cause he likes to play around with it like Pewds does. I forgot to take it out.

I like your advice, harshness is not a bad thing at all, easier to help me when it's not sugarcoated. I get your thoughts about placement. I guess my excuse would be that since, in the beginning, nothing bad has really happened I would make the rooms neat and tidy because the character's would have been. but I'll try to work on something in between.

Yeah I'll definitely work on the hallways. I'll make sure these first three area's are up to par before I work on other maps. Thanks for the info
02-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Find