Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Could it work?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes it could work
33.33%
2 33.33%
other - specify
16.67%
1 16.67%
No it is too complex
50.00%
3 50.00%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Molotov cocktail animation
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87
Molotov cocktail animation

I was wondering if it would be possible to replace the lamp with a Molotov cocktail?

What I would want it to do (when the player picks it up):

When the player picks it up I plan on having this happen:

The player actually picks it up with the hand then the other hand lights the wick with matches.

When the player actually is holding it:

-have the wick move around (when the player moves) and the lit fire move too.
-have the fuel in the cocktail move and reflect the environment

And finally when the player wants to light up the area (I am not sure if this is possible with the engine):

The player will use the primary mouse button and then the player will throw it on the ground (note this is for lighting only - this is not meant for combat!). The flame will stay lit for awhile and then die out. If the player walks into it after 5 seconds the player will die.

So is it possible?

02-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42
RE: Molotov cocktail animation

I don't think its possible.. If it is, it's really hard and i doubt someone would do it for free
02-26-2013, 09:08 AM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

'other - specify'

Some of it is possible I think, the animation for lighting it, the wick/flame moving (though perhaps not directionally as it should) is possible but difficult.
The fuel would probably never look right, if indeed it is possible at all.

Throwing it will not be possible. If you wanted to do that they would need to be objects in the environment that you could grab/throw, that is certainly possible. But there is no way that I can think of for removing the thing from your hand and having it become an interactible object again. Doing that would require creating a new molotov at the player when they choose to remove it - not only is there no event capture for mouse clicks (when not interacting with entities, that is) but there is no good way of getting the players position in order to generate a new entity at their position reliably.

Thing is - if your not using it as a weapon, why do you want it to be a molotov cocktail? It would almost be easier if you did want to use it like that, making an object that you can grab/throw and make explode would be far simpler.

02-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Find
tonitoni1998 Offline

Threads: 54

it is definitely possible. but also definitely very complex. not even the lantern has such a neat behaviour.

When you are looking for someone, to do the scripting for your Custom Story, ask me!
02-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

(02-26-2013, 05:25 PM)tonitoni1998 Wrote: it is definitely possible. but also definitely very complex. not even the lantern has such a neat behaviour.

I don't think it is. I see no way you can make a handheld item into a interact able item. Not without a LOT, and I mean A FRIGGIN LOT of scripting..
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2013, 08:36 PM by OriginalUsername.)
02-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Find
tonitoni1998 Offline

Threads: 54

(02-26-2013, 08:36 PM)Smoke Wrote:
(02-26-2013, 05:25 PM)tonitoni1998 Wrote: it is definitely possible. but also definitely very complex. not even the lantern has such a neat behaviour.

I don't think it is. I see no way you can make a handheld item into a interact able item. Not without a LOT, and I mean A FRIGGIN LOT of scripting..

thats what i mean. he could do everything. he could rescript the whole game. but thats just not capable for one person.

When you are looking for someone, to do the scripting for your Custom Story, ask me!
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2013, 07:55 PM by tonitoni1998.)
02-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Find