Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Restrict sprint or keep it free?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Free Sprint
57.69%
15 57.69%
Restricted Sprint
42.31%
11 42.31%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Restricted Sprint?
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37
RE: Restricted Sprint?

(03-08-2013, 03:52 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Maybe have some shadows to past at low sanity? Meanwhile, what a nice font, eh? Now look at signature.

hurts my eyes, maybe make it smaller Smile

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
03-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(03-08-2013, 03:59 PM)DogFood Wrote:
(03-08-2013, 03:52 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Maybe have some shadows to past at low sanity? Meanwhile, what a nice font, eh? Now look at signature.

hurts my eyes, maybe make it smaller Smile
Fine. Have it your way.

Now it's really small.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2013, 04:00 PM by PutraenusAlivius.)
03-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Find
3dge Offline

Threads: 3

I like the idea with the whole adrenaline and so on, but it becomes too gimmicky in my opinion, having a adrenalin boost you can just activate at any time would go against what Amnesia tries to do. Amnesia tries to mimmick human mindset, thinking and behaviour, I don't think any humans have a switch they can use to run longer/faster. Maybe just keeping it sanity related, when you hit the 2 last stages of sanity right before you hit the ground, unable to do shit, you can run faster and longer, your heartbeat sound gets louder, every other sound is muffled and the screen is fading to black to returns quickly as your heart beats, like a end of the line you are going to faint in 2 seconds thing.

I don't got any answers. I wanna be with Marlene... But I gotta fight. 'Cause if I don't, the planet's gonna die... So I'm gonna keep fightin'!

- Barret
03-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Website Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(03-08-2013, 05:05 PM)3dge Wrote: I like the idea with the whole adrenaline and so on, but it becomes too gimmicky in my opinion, having a adrenalin boost you can just activate at any time would go against what Amnesia tries to do. Amnesia tries to mimmick human mindset, thinking and behaviour, I don't think any humans have a switch they can use to run longer/faster. Maybe just keeping it sanity related, when you hit the 2 last stages of sanity right before you hit the ground, unable to do shit, you can run faster and longer, your heartbeat sound gets louder, every other sound is muffled and the screen is fading to black to returns quickly as your heart beats, like a end of the line you are going to faint in 2 seconds thing.

I agree fully. When a human feels or knows his life is at stake he doesn't care if his lungs are going to burst or if he gets tired.
I accidentally voted for the wrobg option, but I do agree with this.
03-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Find
The Raining Brains Offline

Threads: 0

If you are running away from something then eventually your fatigue is going to have some kind of bearing on your speed. The sprint should not run out but perhaps gradually slow down slightly so that the monster eventually gains on you if you fail to escape. The warning sign being your character's out-of-breath panting. Then, once you stop and are no longer in sight of the monster, your ability to sprint would be temporarily disabled until youve been given sufficient time to rejuvenate. It would maintain realism but also discourage players from abusing the sprint function.

It would have to be handled with subtlety though.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2013, 09:04 PM by The Raining Brains.)
03-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1

Pre-comment - I didn't have time to read the whole thread so I'm just replying to the first bit.

Wait, what problem exactly are we trying to solve? You know, other than "these kids are too damn scared"? What benefit would a sprint mechanic have in the game?

I'm not a fan of game mechanics that limit you. It's transparent, annoying and breaks immersion, and I think the free running works fine. This game is supposed to send you running for your life. This game is not designed to kill you if you make a mistake. It's not made to challenge and punishment for failing. It's built for immersion in horror and story, to make you feel fear.

Here's the clincher: You know what has a fatigue mechanic? Slender. I don't think anyone made it through a game of that without screaming that the goddamned obese chick you're playing needs some fucking excercise.
03-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

(03-08-2013, 01:32 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: I read in an interview, that when it was first implemented, going insane had real gameplay repercussions (like decreased walking speed or something like that). However, Frictional felt that this was more annoying than anything else, so they reduced it to an almost purely atmospheric feature.

I think this could also work for fatigue. Like, say, you're running away and you start hearing your characters heartbeat become faster and louder at some point, you hear his breath become ragged or maybe other sounds get muffled and you get that ringing in your ears you sometimes get when you're close to collapsing. The point being to make the player feel like he won't be able to go on for much longer without actually enforcing it. It could add another layer of tension to chase sequences without being frustrating and risking more frequent player death.

I actually love this idea. That would seriously make for a fantastic atmospheric feature! Smile

^(;,;)^
03-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Find
AdamD Offline

Threads: 7

(03-08-2013, 08:59 PM)The Raining Brains Wrote: If you are running away from something then eventually your fatigue is going to have some kind of bearing on your speed. The sprint should not run out but perhaps gradually slow down slightly so that the monster eventually gains on you if you fail to escape. The warning sign being your character's out-of-breath panting. Then, once you stop and are no longer in sight of the monster, your ability to sprint would be temporarily disabled until youve been given sufficient time to rejuvenate. It would maintain realism but also discourage players from abusing the sprint function.

It would have to be handled with subtlety though.

I disagree. The human body is capable of what you may think is impossible, thanks to adrenaline. If someone is running for his life, take for sure he will until his muscles explode (sometimes literally).
For example; a few years, in my town, a car ran down a kid and he went trapped under it. Then his mother, no more than 1.60 m and about 50 kg, was able to lift up the car so other people could take the kid away)

"Dreaming is easy. Waking up is hard..."
03-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Find
3dge Offline

(03-08-2013, 09:11 PM)Funderbunk Wrote: Pre-comment - I didn't have time to read the whole thread so I'm just replying to the first bit.

Wait, what problem exactly are we trying to solve? You know, other than "these kids are too damn scared"? What benefit would a sprint mechanic have in the game?

I'm not a fan of game mechanics that limit you. It's transparent, annoying and breaks immersion, and I think the free running works fine. This game is supposed to send you running for your life. This game is not designed to kill you if you make a mistake. It's not made to challenge and punishment for failing. It's built for immersion in horror and story, to make you feel fear.

Here's the clincher: You know what has a fatigue mechanic? Slender. I don't think anyone made it through a game of that without screaming that the goddamned obese chick you're playing needs some fucking excercise.

I will sum it up, we basically used our time to evolve the original idea and make it truly sanity related, and after reading everyones comment I gotta say that this is a thing that's gotta be handled with absolute care, if one thing is wrong then you basically ruined the game and have to implement a new patch as soon as possible.
When it comes to slender I've screamed countless times that this fucking high on MC Donald-manate gotta go to the gym, that is a sprint mechanic gone horribly wrong.

I've been thinking, and adding some sort of restriction on the sprint would make the game unrealistic, in Amnesia people don't sprint for long enough duration for this to even take effect, people can do amazing stuff when high on life and sprinting is on the first page of super powers.

I feel this thread is kinda concluded here, we've walked around the pourage trying to find a solution, but it really is just a mechanic that shouldn't be touched.

I don't got any answers. I wanna be with Marlene... But I gotta fight. 'Cause if I don't, the planet's gonna die... So I'm gonna keep fightin'!

- Barret
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2013, 06:39 AM by 3dge.)
03-09-2013, 06:38 AM
Website Find
Gunslingerjh Offline

Threads: 48

I think the adrenaline you get when you're running away from a monster is high enough to keep you sprinting for hours Big Grin. Though in game they should make the monster a little faster than you so it doesn't ruin the experience.

03-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Find