Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Are Amnesia players adults or teens?
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Are Amnesia players adults or teens?

(03-08-2013, 03:19 PM)Diz Wrote: If you think about it for a moment, Amnesia is not really intended for younger audience. It is not an action game, it is a game with great yet very grotesque story, containing torture methods and the absolute dark side of the human psyche, dragging you through an intense atmosphere which never lets you go from start to finish of the game.

Players react differently based on personality and their ability on immersion and, not least, interest, not necessarily on age. There are many players who find Amnesia to be quite boring, either because they crave for action or because they simply fail to immerse themselves. If you were genuinely thrown into this world and it truly became you who woke up in the start of the game, clueless about what is going on while wandering the halls of a dark castle, hearing a lot of creepy sounds and ending up spotting things, chances are you would piss yourself and eventually faint or go insane. This is also a reason why a lot of players, including myself, feel that Amnesia is such an excellent horror experience - we feel that we are actually in the game, and it eventually drives us insane.

When playing it, you do have to help with the experience. You must allow yourself to be immersed, and you must turn off all the lights and play with loud sound (preferably with headphones).

If you have a hard time imagining a computer game terrifying an adult player, then these kind of games may not be for you. You can be certain, however, that many adult players deem Amnesia as the scariest and creepiest game to date, implementing true horror from start to finish of the gameplay. =)
It is that scary. Although i immersed myself when i play, i never turn off the lights (I keep the volume to max.). If i do, i have to change an underwear and pants about 5-10 minutes later.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Find
AdamD Offline

Threads: 7

(03-08-2013, 03:20 PM)felixmole Wrote:
(03-08-2013, 02:24 PM)jiersk Wrote: Hello everyone,

On these forums I read that almost everyone is scared by the game, so I wonder if the people here are adults ( older than 18 ) or teens ( between 12 and 18 ). Because I can't inmagine people being scared by a game when they are an adult. I don't mean to insult anyone if they are adult , but I have made my father and brother both play the game and they didn't even react at all, so I wonder if that also counts for other adults.

Ps. You don't have to tell your age or anything, I just want to know if anyone knows if the Amnesia players are adults or teens.

Thanks.
Well, as said before, it all relies on immersion. Perhaps when you get older, when you play less video games, you do not immerse yourself correctly.

Also, I'd say, when you are older, you are less likely to scream. As far as I'm concerned, I didn't scream or jump out of my chair while playing it, though that didn't prevent my heart from fibrillating or my eyes from opening wide as I played TDD.

Same here, man. I just shouted a little "Ah!" once after a grunt surprised me, but I did not jump or scream...

"Dreaming is easy. Waking up is hard..."
03-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

(03-08-2013, 03:24 PM)AdamD Wrote:

On these forums I read that almost everyone is scared by the game, so I wonder if the people here are adults ( older than 18 ) or teens ( between 12 and 18 ). Because I can't inmagine people being scared by a game when they are an adult. I don't mean to insult anyone if they are adult , but I have made my father and brother both play the game and they didn't even react at all, so I wonder if that also counts for other adults.

Ps. You don't have to tell your age or anything, I just want to know if anyone knows if the Amnesia players are adults or teens.

Thanks.
Well, as said before, it all relies on immersion. Perhaps when you get older, when you play less video games, you do not immerse yourself correctly.

Also, I'd say, when you are older, you are less likely to scream. As far as I'm concerned, I didn't scream or jump out of my chair while playing it, though that didn't prevent my heart from fibrillating or my eyes from opening wide as I played TDD.

Same here, man. I just shouted a little "Ah!" once after a grunt surprised me, but I did not jump or scream...
Well, i just let out a small gasp. For you, it sounds like i'm not scared. But actually, my mind was crazy.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2013, 03:28 PM by PutraenusAlivius.)
03-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Find
No Author Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

My first reaction when I saw the grunt, save the game, quit, play Left 4 Dead for an hour, quit L4D, play ATDD again. Ah good times... good times.

[Image: the-cabin-in-the-woods-masked-people.jpg]
03-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

(03-08-2013, 03:29 PM)No Author Wrote: My first reaction when I saw the grunt, save the game, quit, play Left 4 Dead for an hour, quit L4D, play ATDD again. Ah good times... good times.

My first reaction when i do is that i just sit in a corner, watch the wall and say "I'm happy, I'm happy, I'm happy!" in my mind.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
03-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Find
jiersk Offline

Threads: 12

(03-08-2013, 03:27 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote:

Thanks.

Well, i just let out a small gasp. For you, it sounds like i'm not scared. But actually, my mind was crazy.

You're really 11? I think you shouldn't play games like Amnesia. The torture things were pretty brutal, and when you're this young you get influenced pretty easy. These torture scenes will become normal for you if you keep playing things like this and you won't realise it's not acceptable to do things like that IRL. ( Just my opinion )

Life is a joke made by someone with a bad sense of humor.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2013, 03:35 PM by jiersk.)
Find
Diz Offline

Threads: 4

At certain parts, you see silhouettes and whatnot stagger and move in the foreground. Later on, it closes in, and I realized that this thing actually looks physical. Then a little later, I was unlucky and it found me and caught me off-guard while looking for some important items, staggered toward me, and I froze up entirely. Let go of my keyboard and mouse. Screamed a lot on the inside, but frozen up so much that I did not even manage to move in real-life.

Grabbed mouse and keyboard the instant it launched at me to strike, right infront of me. Barely dodged it, fled the scene without ever looking back. It felt like 30 seconds, but in reality it all happened in about four or five seconds. Everything froze up for me, and the whole situation appeared all slow motion-like. The power of this game is not to be underestimated. =D

Radidsh is my alternate name. Hungry for horror games? Check out my channel!
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2013, 03:34 PM by Diz.)
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

(03-08-2013, 03:33 PM)jiersk Wrote:
(03-08-2013, 03:27 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote:

Thanks.

You're really 11? I think you shouldn't play games like Amnesia. The torture things were pretty brutal, and when you're this young you get influenced pretty easy. These torture scenes will become normal for you if you keep playing things like this and you won't realise it's not acceptable to do things like that IRL. ( Just my opinion )

Actually, it's okay. Since the torture method is pretty old, i assume that is does not exist now. So, it's okay.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
03-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Find
jiersk Offline

Threads: 12

(03-08-2013, 03:33 PM)Diz Wrote: At certain parts, you see silhouettes and whatnot stagger and move in the foreground. Later on, it closes in, and I realized that this thing actually looks physical. Then a little later, I was unlucky and it found me and caught me off-guard while looking for some important items, staggered toward me, and I froze up entirely. Let go of my keyboard and mouse. Screamed a lot on the inside, but frozen up so much that I did not even manage to move in real-life.

Grabbed mouse and keyboard the instant it launched at me to strike, right infront of me. Barely dodged it, fled the scene without ever looking back. It felt like 30 seconds, but in reality it all happened in about four or five seconds. Everything froze up for me, and the whole situation appeared all slow motion-like. The power of this game is not to be underestimated. =D

I have had a moment like that aswell. In the sewers where you have to distract the brute and run trough the two doors to the ladder. It felt like it took me a minute, but really it was like 10 seconds.

Life is a joke made by someone with a bad sense of humor.
03-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

It's okay.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2013, 03:42 PM by PutraenusAlivius.)
03-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Find