Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Grayscale Custom Story?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Affirmative
77.78%
7 77.78%
Negative
22.22%
2 22.22%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grayscale Custom Story
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
Brick  Grayscale Custom Story

I'm considering making a Full Conversion Custom Story in Black and White (grayscale) in order to give the assumption the main character is color blind.

Anybody got any positives and negatives about this approach? I'm all ears and I haven't fully started in depth of the development Smile

You can also drop some ideas below which I will be more than happy to include if I feel they are beneficial.

And also please suggest some general tactics to scare people. I want to make this (Full Conversion) CS to be JUMP SCARE FREE! unless I implement something like an explosion at the end of the corridor which results in a portrait falling down or something :o
(This means no teleporting statues or extremely loud noises triggered by walking through a tunnel).

The way I have begun is quite simple. It's late at night and there is a car crash with a fallen tree. The character then simply awakes wounded badly from the crash (health is 10 and sanity is 10), looks at the car (because he ended up through the windscreen, no airbags Tongue ) then looks along a path which will lead to a mansion like structure which becomes the main setting of the mod (but will go on further).

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2013, 08:37 AM by Romulator.)
04-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: Grayscale Custom Story

Sounds very cool! Is there a particular reason as for why the character is colorblind? I'm just asking, because as far as I know, that kind of colorblindness is pretty rare (Unlike Red-Green blindness which is more common), so it would maybe make sense if it had some connection to the story.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing more from this!
04-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Find
Unearthlybrutal Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 12

Interesting! Smile

When Life No Longer Exists
Full-conversion mod
04-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Website Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

(04-11-2013, 10:20 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Sounds very cool! Is there a particular reason as for why the character is colorblind? I'm just asking, because as far as I know, that kind of colorblindness is pretty rare (Unlike Red-Green blindness which is more common), so it would maybe make sense if it had some connection to the story.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing more from this!
Well, this is how I plan to develop it:
1. Concepts and ideas
2. Layouts
3. Storyline and Map Development
4. Map Development and Script Implementation
5. Go back over the early maps and remake if need be (because you learn as you go Big Grin )
6. Implement further scare tactics
7. Give away for private bug testing
8. Bug Removal
9. Public Beta (which I will release and promote on here Wink )
10. Final re-preparations and patching up
11. Full release Smile

At this time, I'm at Step 2 & 3. I have developed a small storyline that will kick in later, but the first map is quite simply just outside in a not so dense forest.
I do know that this form of color blindness is extremely rare, but it does give a reason to experiment. Amnesia itself is not the most realistic, but does have a lot of interesting things which make it very clever. I believe color blindness will allow the player to think a bit more in terms of their surroundings and implement better means of solving puzzles and navigation. It also allows me to screw around a little and change things so if someone is unfamiliar with the concept of full color blindness, they may not even notice that the Lantern's color given off is Violet for example Smile

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2013, 02:04 PM by Romulator.)
04-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

I now have a concept in mind of why the character is color blind. I will not reveal anything about it though Smile That's for me to know and for you guys to find out when I have made it Wink

04-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Find