Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to make a monster properly chase you?
serbusfish Offline

Threads: 75
Is it possible to make a monster properly chase you?

From what ive seen you can either make a monster walk along path nodes or run directly towards you. The latter works in straight corridors but if you happen to turn a corner the monster gets stuck on the wall! Is there any way to make a monster chase you are corners?

03-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
RE: Is it possible to make a monster properly chase you?

Put pathnodes without scripting around the level. I think they follow the nodes if you are around a corner.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
03-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Find
VeNoMzTeamHysterical Offline

Threads: 36

(03-14-2013, 03:30 PM)serbusfish Wrote: From what ive seen you can either make a monster walk along path nodes or run directly towards you. The latter works in straight corridors but if you happen to turn a corner the monster gets stuck on the wall! Is there any way to make a monster chase you are corners?

Yes its possible.
There is a script then the monster instant start chasing you hold on i check which one it is.

I think it was this.

ShowEnemyPlayerPosition("Monster_Name");

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-21719.html
Evil Awaking Work In Progress!
Hours Spend 472.
03-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Website Find
serbusfish Offline

(03-14-2013, 03:49 PM)The chaser Wrote: Put pathnodes without scripting around the level. I think they follow the nodes if you are around a corner.

Ok I will try it cheers.

(03-25-2013, 04:51 PM)VeNoMzTeamHysterical Wrote:
(03-14-2013, 03:30 PM)serbusfish Wrote: From what ive seen you can either make a monster walk along path nodes or run directly towards you. The latter works in straight corridors but if you happen to turn a corner the monster gets stuck on the wall! Is there any way to make a monster chase you are corners?

Yes its possible.
There is a script then the monster instant start chasing you hold on i check which one it is.

I think it was this.

ShowEnemyPlayerPosition("Monster_Name");

No this just makes them run directly towards you, regardless of what obstructions might be in the way. So if you run round a corner they will more often than not get stuck on the wall.

03-26-2013, 02:44 AM
Find
tonitoni1998 Offline

Threads: 54

I think you would need an improved chasing system to do it exacly how you want it. You would need an AI. When you set entity info in your debug toolbar on, you can see the path of the enemy. When he sees you he instantly ignores all the other nodes and the player is the only pathnode. That means he will just run in your direction, only focusing on you.

You would have to make a system that calculates the shortest way around an obstacle, and let it put nodes around it. But i dont know how to do it Tongue

When you are looking for someone, to do the scripting for your Custom Story, ask me!
03-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Find
LulleBulle Offline

Threads: 33

What you could do (this is just a guess and only works if there's not multiple options as in crossings etc) is that you make pathnodes the same way as the player walks, put the wait time at each path node to 0 and during this time play the chase music. It would however just make the monster walk so I guess you would need to speed it up slightly.
03-30-2013, 02:10 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Seriously? You guys don't know this? This is how i would do it.
1. Make a pathnode at the corner. Make sure it's a bit far so the monster won't get stuck in it.
2. Make the waiting time to 0.005
3. You're done!

@LulleBulle
You didn't mention the scripting.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2013, 05:25 AM by PutraenusAlivius.)
03-30-2013, 05:25 AM
Find