Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Do you like the idea of playable monsters and do you think its possible?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, I like it, and it should indeed be possible. Smile
26.32%
5 26.32%
No, I dont like it, but it should indeed be possible. :/
15.79%
3 15.79%
Yes, I really like this idea, but im afraid its not possible. Sad
21.05%
4 21.05%
No, I dont like it, and I think its impossible to achieve. Tongue
36.84%
7 36.84%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Play as an npc in amnesia the dark decent
Erik The Born Offline

Threads: 7
RE: Play as an npc in amnesia the dark decent

I know its meant to strike fear and so on... But I already finished the game. So now I want to take the experience to the next level. Could this be pssible. Spawn an npc. lets say a grunt. Then we add the camera stuck on to his head. so wherever he goes the camera goes. Then you just have to tell the game to move the monster when i press forward. for example. and to turn around depending on the way i look withthe camera. Then to attack with lets say left mouse button. and right mouse button to hold objects and interact. For destoying doors etc. should be able to be done with just attacking them right? And sprinting with left shift key. Then we have to add that grunt to exception so we dont loose sanity or get weird music playing with him around. Then its accomplished. Could someone who knows make this possible?
03-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(03-16-2013, 03:09 PM)Erik The Born Wrote: I know its meant to strike fear and so on... But I already finished the game. So now I want to take the experience to the next level. Could this be pssible. Spawn an npc. lets say a grunt. Then we add the camera stuck on to his head. so wherever he goes the camera goes. Then you just have to tell the game to move the monster when i press forward. for example. and to turn around depending on the way i look withthe camera. Then to attack with lets say left mouse button. and right mouse button to hold objects and interact. For destoying doors etc. should be able to be done with just attacking them right? And sprinting with left shift key. Then we have to add that grunt to exception so we dont loose sanity or get weird music playing with him around. Then its accomplished. Could someone who knows make this possible?

It is not possible and WILL ruin the game.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

(03-16-2013, 12:16 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Sorry, but i have to say no. Amnesia is meant to in strike fear. Playing as an NPC or a Monster ruins it.

But hes not trying to make Amnesia, he's trying to make a mod of Amnesia. The very spirit of modding is in customizing and changing a game to change or create whole new experiences that the author imagines. Stop trying to stop people from exploring ideas.

Erik The Born - The problem is as Martinnord said on the previous page. You don't have access to the source code so you are extremely limited in what you have control over. If you look through the whole of the engine scripts wiki page, you will find pretty much everything that is possible in there.

Much of what your talking about is possible, but you could only make it look like the player is controlling a grunt - you can't just add extra camera's to a grunts body, or make it do things like attack stuff with the left mouse button. You can replace the lantern with a model of a grunts hands to make it look like your a grunt, and have doors get damaged when the player tries to interact with them. It would all need to be first person though.

03-16-2013, 04:45 PM
Find
Erik The Born Offline

(03-16-2013, 04:45 PM)Adrianis Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 12:16 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Sorry, but i have to say no. Amnesia is meant to in strike fear. Playing as an NPC or a Monster ruins it.

But hes not trying to make Amnesia, he's trying to make a mod of Amnesia. The very spirit of modding is in customizing and changing a game to change or create whole new experiences that the author imagines. Stop trying to stop people from exploring ideas.

Thank you for making that clear. Ok good idea about the lantern i shall try that. But the important part now. How do I make the doors get damaged by interacting with them? And would it also be possible to damage and kill enemies? And would it be able to add animations? so that it looks like the grunt is attacking and walking?
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2013, 05:11 PM by Erik The Born.)
03-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

You misunderstand - You cannot give direct commands to a grunt, so you can't have a grunt as the 'player model', so...
Quote:And would it be able to add animations? so that it looks like the grunt is attacking and walking?
That is not going to work. That's why I said the only option is to convince the player that they are a grunt by using it's hand to replace the lantern. I can't tell you how to do that because I don't know how myself, I would suggest that if you don't know where to start then don't bother going ahead with the idea because it's going to be very difficult to pull off.

For the damage, as I said you need to look through the list of functions to know what you can do.
http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn..._functions
Look under entities & props and see if you can find it

03-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Find
Erik The Born Offline

Indeed im a noob at scripts. But i do know a little. Hard to pull off. Thats my middle name. So. Could you atleast give me an example for a custom story cfg? Wich allows you to smash stuffs like enemys does. Thats all im asking for right now. But ofcourse not being stuck to smash stuffs. if I want to open a door normaly or pick an item without smashing it would be good. Maybe bind the right mouse button for smashing? That would help alot. I just need a cfg with the abillity to smash stuff with right mouse button. (if this is cfg i dont know but you get the idea). In any case thank you for showing your care for this. Smile
03-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Look, i'm sorry, but this cannot happen. As the engine doesn't have all the scripts that AngelScript has. Even if it is possible, you need a full conversion.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-17-2013, 02:07 AM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

You could do something like this, but replace the lantern with a monster hand, and make it do a slash animation when pulling away the lantern. You would also have to replace the sound with a slash sound.
another detail that would be good would be to constantly force the player to use the lantern with the function "setlanternactive"(just looked it up). I dunno if you will be able to remove the light though. you will also have to make sure the player never runs out of oil, maybe using a constantly looping timer that gives the player oil all the time, but I would not know this since im no scripter.

EDIT: YAY 200 post! Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2013, 02:31 AM by WALP.)
03-17-2013, 02:29 AM
Find
Erik The Born Offline

(03-17-2013, 02:29 AM)martinnord Wrote:

You could do something like this, but replace the lantern with a monster hand, and make it do a slash animation when pulling away the lantern. You would also have to replace the sound with a slash sound.
another detail that would be good would be to constantly force the player to use the lantern with the function "setlanternactive"(just looked it up). I dunno if you will be able to remove the light though. you will also have to make sure the player never runs out of oil, maybe using a constantly looping timer that gives the player oil all the time, but I would not know this since im no scripter.

SWEET MAN. you made this video? Or did you just show it? Cause that idea with the lantern is good. But do you think i can make it do sound? like door smashes sound. it wold be cool. Anyways this idea looks pretty good. Do you think you can shaere this?
03-17-2013, 08:19 AM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(03-17-2013, 08:19 AM)Erik The Born Wrote:
(03-17-2013, 02:29 AM)martinnord Wrote:

SWEET MAN. you made this video? Or did you just show it? Cause that idea with the lantern is good. But do you think i can make it do sound? like door smashes sound. it wold be cool. Anyways this idea looks pretty good. Do you think you can shaere this?

Did you even read my post, it litterally says "im no scripter" right at the end, no I did not make this. it was made by a guy named yourcomputer who does some pretty badass stuff.
03-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Find