Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Model Viewer crashes
Nuclearbones Offline

Threads: 19
Model Viewer crashes

I made a landscape in blender, I have it textured with the UV editor all set up and everything. But for some reason it keeps on crashing the model viewer. (I'm using this landscape to create a VERY large map)
I even read this article here just so you know, before anybody links me to it:
http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/thi...[]=blender

Is it because my model is too big? I mean, it IS 16 x 16 blender units.
I'll post screenshots below, but they'll be in .zip files. Too much of a hassle to put them all on deviantart.

And if anybody wants to look at either the .blend file or the .dae file, it'll also be in there.

EDIT: Updated the Zip to show that I do have textures and materials.

I know I also said that I'm dropping the project. Not now, no. I'll drop it when either the two months are up or until I finish up doing all I can do.

Attached Files
.zip   Broken Blender Files.zip (Size: 765.31 KB / Downloads: 107)
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2013, 09:10 AM by Nuclearbones.)
03-17-2013, 08:09 AM
Find
NaxEla Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Model Viewer crashes

I can open the model in both the model editor, and the level editor (though it was invisible because it has no material) without it crashing, although it also crashes for me in the model viewer. It might be because it has no materials, but I'm not 100% sure.

In Ruins [WIP]
03-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Find
Nuclearbones Offline

(03-17-2013, 08:41 AM)NaxEla Wrote: I can open the model in both the model editor, and the level editor (though it was invisible because it has no material) without it crashing, although it also crashes for me in the model viewer. It might be because it has no materials, but I'm not 100% sure.

No materials? You're joking. I have to do an hours worth work of texturing this stupid thing again ?
Bawww.

EDIT: No wait!All the texture are there. But maybe they're the wrong texture files. The article says to not use the .mat files. I'll check what file I have.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2013, 08:58 AM by Nuclearbones.)
03-17-2013, 08:48 AM
Find
NaxEla Offline

Threads: 5

(03-17-2013, 08:48 AM)Nuclearbones Wrote:
(03-17-2013, 08:41 AM)NaxEla Wrote: I can open the model in both the model editor, and the level editor (though it was invisible because it has no material) without it crashing, although it also crashes for me in the model viewer. It might be because it has no materials, but I'm not 100% sure.

No materials? You're joking. I have to do an hours worth work of texturing this stupid thing again ?
Bawww.

EDIT: No wait!All the texture are there. But maybe they're the wrong texture files. The article says to not use the .mat files. I'll check what file I have.

You just need to open the material editor, and select your diffuse map, specular map, etc.. then save. It will save it as a .mat file.

In Ruins [WIP]
03-17-2013, 09:07 AM
Find
Nuclearbones Offline

(03-17-2013, 09:07 AM)NaxEla Wrote:

Bawww.

You just need to open the material editor, and select your diffuse map, specular map, etc.. then save. It will save it as a .mat file.

Select my diffuse map? What? Is there a tutorial for this thing?
03-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(03-17-2013, 09:20 AM)Nuclearbones Wrote:

Bawww.

Make sure the texture is stored in the same folder as the model and that its inside the amnesia folder, and apply the texture to the model in blender.
exporting it like this will make the model viewer create a .mat with the same name as your texture automatically. You can then edit the mat if you wish to add further detail with normal maps and such.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2013, 09:45 AM by WALP.)
03-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Find
Nuclearbones Offline

(03-17-2013, 09:45 AM)martinnord Wrote:
(03-17-2013, 09:20 AM)Nuclearbones Wrote:

Bawww.

Make sure the texture is stored in the same folder as the model and that its inside the amnesia folder, and apply the texture to the model in blender.
exporting it like this will make the model viewer create a .mat with the same name as your texture automatically. You can then edit the mat if you wish to add further detail with normal maps and such.

But shouldn't the texture already be a part of the model if I use the Blender texture compositor?
And would I put the .blend file in my own custom story file, or do I have to put into the Amnesia: The Dark Descent folder?
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2013, 10:25 AM by Nuclearbones.)
03-17-2013, 10:22 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

The size of the model doesn't matter. Follow this:

-Make the material in Blender and assign the texture, as you probabily did. In the texture menu, go to Image or Video and open your diffuse texture.
-Then, open the Material Editor (in the redist folder) and make a soliddifuse with:
-Diffuse: This is the normal texture (eg sand texture)
-Nrm Map: This is optional, but I'm sure you have it. It shows like some pink/purple color with som yellow edges.
-Specular (spec) map: This determinates how it shines. I don't mind about this.

Put all your textures inside the folder of your Landscape, just like this:

Redist/Static_objects/Your_landscape

With:

Land.dds
Land_nrm.dds
Land_spec.dds
Land.mat (The file created with the material editor)
Land.dae (the landscape model)

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
03-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Find