Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!!
gamgam2 Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Multiplayer?

Eh, I met, strangly, a gf in a game that I was with for awhile before everything happened and went to hell and now I'm with other girls at my school. But even though I never met her, she's alot nicer/funnier/better than any girl at my school, I can almost gaurentee it.

But there's some nice people in online games, just when your online your true intergrity shows, becuase there isn't much punishment if your a jerk, you won't see those people again.

Sometimes, if you look carefully at a wall for a few minutes, you'll realize you wasted some time.  It's true.
11-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Website Find
Unregistered

I think that the creation of game should fulfill following goals:
1. To get money (not so important - maybe a little :-))
2. To create good game, which would amuse players
3. To create immortal game.
And sorry, but adventure cannot reach the third goal. When you're playing alone, the game cannot become immortal. And this immortality always depends on Multiplayer.
So... I am not telling you to stop developing Penumbra: Overture - and I barely think you would do so. :-) But, after all the games you're preparing, I suggest you to do a horror multiplayer game. I have an idea:
Let's say 6 people would start in one room. 5 of them would have a goal to get out (or in, or somewhere). All anventure components. But, the sixth player would have a different goal. To kill them all, by using some devices, they need to get throught. The problem would be, that they would not know, who is the traitor.
Well, that's my idea. I hope I wrote it a little comprehensibly.
11-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Rowedekhelicon
Unregistered

SiMich Wrote:I think that the creation of game should fulfill following goals:
1. To get money (not so important - maybe a little :-))
2. To create good game, which would amuse players
3. To create immortal game.
And sorry, but adventure cannot reach the third goal. When you're playing alone, the game cannot become immortal. And this immortality always depends on Multiplayer.
I'm sorry, but that's just completely backwards and wrong.

What's immortal about a multiplayer game when in 5 years time few people will even be playing the game anymore? They'll have moved on to bigger and better things. The only way to attain true immortality is to have a strong single player experience. One that stays near and dear to your heart for all time. One that will keep you returning for a sense of nostalgia or just because it was that damned fun. I have many such games.

Multiplayer prolongs the lifetime of a game, but it certainly doesn't make it immortal. It's a short-lived thing (relatively speaking) that almost always dies out at some point after a game's initial release.
11-03-2006, 10:06 PM
gamgam2 Offline

Eh, multiplayer makes a game really good, but some games you can't really have a multiplayer.
Once you played the demo, it wasn't really fun anymore, becuase everything was planned out(I'm not sure how much the game will be like the demo in re-play value>_>)
But most popular online games hold players for awhile, such as ranks+awards(bf2+bf2142) or getting online wealth(diablo and those kind of games)

And with all the games that are coming out, it's hard make a game "immortal"
Those immortal games are like pingpong, simple games.

Sometimes, if you look carefully at a wall for a few minutes, you'll realize you wasted some time.  It's true.
11-03-2006, 10:49 PM
Website Find
Unregistered

Rowedekhelicon Wrote:The only way to attain true immortality is to have a strong single player experience. One that stays near and dear to your heart for all time. One that will keep you returning for a sense of nostalgia or just because it was that damned fun. I have many such games.
Oh yes. Games with brilliant idea. Sometimes when I recall few of these games I tryed to find them somewhere. I often succeeded. I was playing and playing. And then I realized why I was not playing it so long. It was getting tiresome, I was standing before well-known situations and I solved them by well-known solutions. Most in games without any AI script (but even AI couldn't help much - it often didn't surprise).
I'm telling that these immortal games are immortal only in our memories. You can pull them into reality, but they have strong root. When you play one game a lot, when you finish the storyline, when you defeat AI script, there is really nothing intrested in the game anymore. You can remember it, you can prize it. But mostly, you cannot play it.
Multiplayer offers you to play with others, who copleted the game too. And there is coming the challenge, there is coming the fun.

Rowedekhelicon Wrote:Multiplayer prolongs the lifetime of a game, but it certainly doesn't make it immortal. It's a short-lived thing (relatively speaking) that almost always dies out at some point after a game's initial release.
Multiplayer itself certainly doesn't make game immortal. But when you combine brilliant entertaining game with multiplayer, it could come. Multiplayer prolong the lifetime of game. And how much? It depends on players. You can sow a field, grain has to grow by itself.
I know one game which I've played for 5 years and I'm playing it only because of Multiplayer.

By singleplayer adventure, you can offer player the memory immortality. But not the second one. I'm not telling that one is better or worse. But I would be more grateful to see people playing it for long time, than listen them talking about great old game which they don't play anymore.

And one small notice: I'm sorry about the tenses and word order in the sentences. I do not know English very well.
Next notice: The opinion about non-multiplayer games getting tiresome is just outcome of my observations. I think it, because I feel it that way. I'm not sure, if that's how the others think.
11-04-2006, 12:43 AM
gamgam2 Offline

It's not cool to make yourself seem smart when your stupid=(
But it's great to sound smart when your smart=)
Stupid people think they're smart
Smart people think they arn't smart and say they're dumb.
But maybe dumb people know they're dumb!

11-04-2006, 04:57 AM
Website Find
Rowedekhelicon
Unregistered

Re: SiMich

Well stated. And your English is perfectly understandable so it's fine. Smile

But my point is that even though you have been playing that multiplayer game for 5 years, as soon as you get bored of it and stop playing (which WILL happen) that game will have died for you. You'll probably never feel like playing it again. And since you're not actively playing it there will be no reason for you to talk about it either. So that game has longevity, but not immortality. True immortality can only come in the form of memory.

But that's not to say that we don't continue to play those old "immortally memorable" games. If there is something uniquely fun about a game then you will feel like digging it out and playing it from time to time. I'm replaying old games all the time. They're still fun despite their age. And they will remain fun to the end of time. Therefore they are immortal. Smile

Re: GamGam

So.... which are you? o.O
11-04-2006, 05:58 AM
gamgam2 Offline

Idiot.
But that would mean I'm smart.
But dumb people think there smart.
So maybe I'm an idiot.
Go back to the top and keep repeating.

11-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Website Find
Unregistered

Overtune is SP only, and adding an online deathmatch mode would not be that fun. New challange in multiplayer? "ur a n00b lol!!!!!1!1!1!1!111!!"

I find little enjoyment playing with retards.
11-05-2006, 12:55 AM
gamgam2 Offline

Eh, playing with retards can be quite fun.
You can make them believe the silliest things, depending on how stupid they are.

S=I/2 - 20 x .5

S=Story your going to tell
I=IQ of person your going to tell story
x=multiplication sign.

(You need to make a minor guess at what S equals, can't be more than what the IQ is nessicary to understand it's not a joke)
Basicly, S=can't be I of the person your telling them to...

11-05-2006, 01:42 AM
Website Find