Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horror Plot
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
Horror Plot

Ok, so I'm about to come up with a plot, but everytime I come up with something that might be good, it's with someone who dies, and it's obvious that they're gonna die in the story!

I just found that in a LOT of horror stories there are people either dying, being tortured and may die from it, disappearing mysteriously and are possibly dead.

Is it really that impossible to write something scary without anyone dying or being threatened?
Isn't there anything that we really are afraid of, that isn't an animal, holes in your hand or violence?

I just feel like everytime i write something, someone has to die... Am I right? Have you guys got any ideas? Any stories that you can tell me about, that is different?

Trying is the first step to success.
04-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16
RE: Horror Plot

Look to the Eldrich for inspiration, brother. Lovecraft can have freaky shit happen without anyone dying. You just gotta play some sense of doom and dread, with thick overtones of despair and madness.
04-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

You could also always go Silent Hill-ish style, where the horror comes from facing your own demons, whether it's literal, or not.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
04-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Find
Posting Freak

"The Eldrich"? Is that a story from Lovecraft?

I'm sorry, I've never read Lovecraft (Please don't hate me), but it sounds like i should.

04-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Threads: 73

Mental Memorial!
The 2 main characters stay alive!
Even better, one of the main characters must be saved\rescued...
One of the very less mods out here that has a plot like that.
NOT SAYING THIS CAUSE IT IS MY MOD!!!
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2013, 06:34 PM by DnALANGE.)
04-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

I agree, there are too many stories where obvious characters die. I think if you change it so less obvious people die (like the main character) or just don't let anyone die at all, it changes your story in the good way. I like stories or movies with an unusual twist
Spoiler below!
bioshock: infinite
, and I think a lot of other people do too.
04-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Find
Posting Freak

(04-01-2013, 06:33 PM)dnalange Wrote: Mental Memorial!
The 2 main characters stay alive!
Even better, one of the main characters must be saved\rescued...
One of the very less mods out here that has a plot like that.
NOT SAYING THIS CAUSE IT IS MY MOD!!!

But from what i've seen
Spoiler below!

Isn't there a dead man in the start?

04-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Actually, when it comes down to it I don't think it's actually a bad thing if there are people who die in your story. People dying is more of a trope than it is a cliche. If you have people dying in your story, and you're able to pull off the plot nicely then why not? No one's going to automatically disregard a story's quality just because thy have tropes in them, or in this case people dying.

Just saying there's no real need to try, and force out a good story without people dying if you equally able to make a good one that does.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2013, 06:39 PM by Kreekakon.)
04-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Find
Posting Freak

(04-01-2013, 06:38 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: Actually, when it comes down to it I don't think it's actually a bad thing if there are people who die in your story. People dying is more of a trope than it is a cliche. If you have people dying in your story, and you're able to pull off the plot nicely then why not? No one's going to automatically disregard a story's quality just because thy have tropes in them, or in this case people dying.

Just saying there's no real need to try, and force out a good story without people dying if you equally able to make a good one that does.

Yes maybe.
Hm, i shall try thinking this through... Thanks...

Keep on coming with opinions if ya got any

04-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

Eldrich is just a peculiar word that Lovecraft used -- that means quite that: peculiar; strange.
04-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Find