Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Model exporting
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: Model exporting

Hm, that depends. If you're using several diffuse (=color) textures on one model, that won't work. hpl doesn't support multiple materials per mesh as far as I know, you can only have one texture map of every kind. (So, you couldn't for example use one jpg. for one half of the model and another one for the other half.)

If you mean that you have a diffuse, a specular and a normal map, however, they simply go all in the same folder. When you create your .mat file, you'll have the option of adding the normal and spec map to your material there.

Also CGPersia is a very useful page. But be careful that you don't download anything illegal by accident! *coughcough* Wink

A free alternative to photoshop would also be GIMP. I think it has a dds plugin, too.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013, 05:28 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
04-03-2013, 05:23 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(04-03-2013, 05:23 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Hm, that depends. If you're using several diffuse (=color) textures on one model, that won't work. hpl doesn't support multiple materials per mesh as far as I know, you can only have one texture map of every kind. (So, you couldn't for example use one jpg. for one half of the model and another one for the other half.)

If you mean that you have a diffuse, a specular and a normal map, however, they simply go all in the same folder. When you create your .mat file, you'll have the option of adding the normal and spec map to your material there.
It does support multiple materials per model and it has been done many time in original amnesia, fx servant_grunt and zimmerman_ground.
I dont know exacly how it works in maya but I know that to do it in blender you have to seperate the materials between different objects before exporting. HPL2 will then recognise them as submeshes, which are also important when wanting do to a lot of things in the model editor.
04-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Yeah on separate meshes in one .dae it works. But hpl doesn't know material IDs on one mesh, like UDK for example. And if the border between your materials is inside a continuous mesh, cutting it up might not exactly be what you want to do... Smile
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013, 05:32 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
04-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

Well thank you, but I already said I'm going to stop this >.> I'll just wait until my English gets better (So I can actually understand what you guys are saying) and until I actually understand the programs I'm using. Thanks anyway Wink

200 posts, woohoo
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013, 09:17 PM by OriginalUsername.)
04-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Okay guys, I'm sorry for my self pity. I'm finally to a point where I think I'm doing everything right... (thanks acies) But I'm to a point where the model viewer doesn't create any .mat files but it creates a .msh file. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
04-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-20345.html This thread is more accurate :] The old one probably has some errors in execution (which the new one most likely also has)!

To answer your question. Let's say you make a wall. The wall has one texture (image) called "MyWall.dds" where the color information is stored. In order for modelview to create your .mat file the material (of your model) in Maya has to have "MyWall.dds" assigned to the color slot. "MyWall.dds" should also be placed within the folder of the .dae (the exported model).

In case something has gone wrong, delete everything except the .dae and the .dds.

Edit: Also make sure you have triangulated the model. "Mesh --> Triangulate" while having it selected (in maya).

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2013, 05:05 PM by Acies.)
04-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

THe model viewer is only supposed to create a .msh file ( It's a collision file ) the .mat files are created using materialeditor.exe

Load that up, smack in your textures and then save the .mat file under the same name as your diffuse and under the same directory.
04-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

(04-04-2013, 05:01 PM)Acies Wrote: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-20345.html This thread is more accurate :] The old one probably has some errors in execution (which the new one most likely also has)!

To answer your question. Let's say you make a wall. The wall has one texture (image) called "MyWall.dds" where the color information is stored. In order for modelview to create your .mat file the material (of your model) in Maya has to have "MyWall.dds" assigned to the color slot. "MyWall.dds" should also be placed within the folder of the .dae (the exported model).

In case something has gone wrong, delete everything except the .dae and the .dds.

Edit: Also make sure you have triangulated the model. "Mesh --> Triangulate" while having it selected (in maya).

Oh thank you, I'll look into that one. And if I want multiple textures? How do I name them? (I noticed you did this: wall.dea, wall_test.dds, wall_thingey.dds. Is that right?)

(04-04-2013, 05:01 PM)Traggey Wrote: THe model viewer is only supposed to create a .msh file ( It's a collision file ) the .mat files are created using materialeditor.exe

Load that up, smack in your textures and then save the .mat file under the same name as your diffuse and under the same directory.

OH WOW. I'm so stupid! xD I finally understand, thank you so much!

Here, have a silly puppy:
Spoiler below!
[Image: cuty_dog_smile.jpg]

EDIT: I'm sorry: thank everyone of you! You've been so helpful and patient!
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2013, 05:10 PM by OriginalUsername.)
04-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

That's what the forums are for! Don't worry, you're not stupid, this whole 3D stuff is really a pain to learn, especially with complex tools like Maya and finicky engines like hpl...it can drive 'ya nuts sometimes! Wink
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2013, 09:38 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
04-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Okay, I just put some textures from gimp in .dds format on my model. If I change the camera weird shit happens (See pictures) Is this normal, or did I do something wrong?

Attached Files
.jpg   Untitled.jpg (Size: 40.28 KB / Downloads: 117)
.jpg   Untitled1.jpg (Size: 42.98 KB / Downloads: 112)
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2013, 10:03 AM by OriginalUsername.)
04-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Find