Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Model exporting
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Model exporting

I'm just gonna leave that to 3D Modeling Experts.

Does it appear in game?

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
04-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: Okay, I just put some textures from gimp in .dds format on my model. If Ichange the camera weird shit happens (See pictures) Is this normal, or did I do something wrong?
The texture stretching? That's usually caused by your uv map being weird. It shouldn't have anything to do with the position of your camera and neither with the format of your image files. Smile Select the nasty looking polygons and open your uv editor - they should look kinda garbled there.
To edit them hold...eeh...Ctl I think and right-click and hold. (Yeah, maya's controls are weird ^^) Select "To UV" and it will convert your polygon selection to uvs. (Maya needs this to be able to move them around in the uv editor. It's kinda stupid compared to other 3D programs in that respect.) You can then cut them off from the rest of the UVs, relax them and position them correctly on the texture again.

If your uv's are being really strange and your texture moves when you move the object or weird stuff like that, try deleting the objects history. (edit > delete by type > history)
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2013, 10:45 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
04-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

I dunno about stretching but I have once encountered a bug that would display different textures on my wall assets depending on were I was and were I was looking.
The problem turned out to have been an incorrectly named file that caused amnesia to use other textures from the map instead.
04-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

No, I'm not talking about the stretching. I'm talking about the gap that randomly appears when I move my camera. I'm still working on the textures, so they're not right yet

(04-05-2013, 10:30 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: I'm just gonna leave that to 3D Modeling Experts.

Does it appear in game?

I don't know yet. I'm not done finishing the textures
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2013, 12:03 PM by OriginalUsername.)
04-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: No, I'm not talking about the stretching. I'm talking about the gap that randomly appears when I move my camera.
Gap? Oh you mean that upper element becoming see-through on one of the pictures? I didn't even notice that because I was so focussed on the textures ^^ That kinda looks to me like what happens if a model isn't properly triangulated. Maybe you shouldn't leave triangulating to the exporter but do it beforehand: select mesh in Maya, go to Mesh> Triangulate and see if that helps.

If that doesn't fix it, you can also make a mesh cleanup to see if you have non-manifold geometry (Edges with more than two adjacent Polygons and the like) or other nasty stuff in there: Go to Mesh> Cleanup and make sure you have "select matching polygons" checked, not "cleanup matching polygons" (Otherwise Maya will try to fix stuff on its own which might be desastrous!). Then check everything you want Maya to search for and apply. The tool will select everything that's odd, showing you errors in your mesh.

Another idea would be to check your normals. First, go to shading > Backface Culling, right above your viewport. See any holes in your mesh now? That's reversed normals. They can be flipped by selecting the affected polygons and clicking normals> reverse.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2013, 12:39 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
04-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

I've done all that, and It's still there. They're both taken from the front, one is just with the camera tilted a bit. If I move the camera down, the gap appears and when I move it back up, it's fine again. I'll see if it's in game too. I'll have to finish the textures first.

Edit: nevermind, I just noticed all the other textures are see-trough. I can see the wall coming trough the upper wooden thingey. Is this normal?

2nd edit: How do I have to call the files? I've tried wall_wall.dds and wall_wall1.dds but modelview gives me an error: failed to create .mat for wall_wall1.dds

Attached Files
.jpg   Untitled.jpg (Size: 33.18 KB / Downloads: 120)
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2013, 03:28 PM by OriginalUsername.)
04-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(04-05-2013, 12:45 PM)Smoke Wrote: I've done all that, and It's still there. They're both taken from the front, one is just with the camera tilted a bit. If I move the camera down, the gap appears and when I move it back up, it's fine again. I'll see if it's in game too. I'll have to finish the textures first.

Edit: nevermind, I just noticed all the other textures are see-trough. I can see the wall coming trough the upper wooden thingey. Is this normal?

2nd edit: How do I have to call the files? I've tried wall_wall.dds and wall_wall1.dds but modelview gives me an error: failed to create .mat for wall_wall1.dds

.mat file is created by the Material Editor and some parts of your wall looked a bit too stretched in the Y-Axis.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
04-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: Edit: nevermind, I just noticed all the other textures are see-trough. I can see the wall coming trough the upper wooden thingey. Is this normal?

Yeah, like JustAnotherPlayer said (and Traggey, a page earlier Wink ), make a .mat file with the material editor and apply that. You can't simply apply a texture to a mesh - what people mean when they say they're applying a texture to a mesh is actually always applying a material with the texture in it.

Also make sure your material is a soliddiffuse, not translucent or decal or whatever other options the material editor gives you.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2013, 03:58 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
04-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

(04-05-2013, 03:58 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: Edit: nevermind, I just noticed all the other textures are see-trough. I can see the wall coming trough the upper wooden thingey. Is this normal?

Yeah, like JustAnotherPlayer said (and Traggey, a page earlier Wink ), make a .mat file with the material editor and apply that. You can't simply apply a texture to a mesh - what people mean when they say they're applying a texture to a mesh is actually always applying a material with the texture in it.

Also make sure your material is a soliddiffuse, not translucent or decal or whatever other options the material editor gives you.

Oh wow, okay thanks again! I was adding the .dds files to the model... lol

Edit: or was I supposed to do that? I'm not really sure anymore Tongue
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2013, 08:59 AM by OriginalUsername.)
04-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Okay nevermind all my last questions, I might finish this model today!
04-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Find