Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What has discovering Amnesia/Frictional Games done for you?
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
What has discovering Amnesia/Frictional Games done for you?

Hey there all, interesting question that popped up in my head a little while back: I can assume without doubt that we are all fans of Amnesia, and the work Frictional Games does be it Penumbra, Amnesia, and what-not. What I want to ask YOU is what discovering FG, and its line of games has done for you?

You can really share with us anything you want. You can say it sparked your interest in the horror genre overall, you can say you discovered a lovely suite of dev tools through which you decided to bring a story long in the workings to life, or you can even go as far to say that FG is the sole reason you now aspire to become a video game dev! Anything can do! Hell, say you discovered Pewdiepie because of them, it works too!

So, for starters as the thread's OP it's only natural that I give the first statement:

Before discovering Amnesia, I was mostly unfamiliar with the horror genre. After finding it I found out what great potentials it hold, be it for story-telling, or otherwise.

Also, at the time, which was around a bit over a year ago, I was looking for a way to try, and practice my skills in making games. It was also around that time that I discovered HPL2, and its ease of accessibility. After finding out so, I started practicing on it in hopes that I could more familiarize myself with how to make a game. It was also around then that I decided to re-model an idea for a story I had into one which could work well with Amnesia's style of play as well as adding my own fresh ideas. It is now known as Hell Awakening, which I recently just announced.

So, that's about it for me, let's hear yours!

EDIT: Oh and almost forgot one of the other most important things Amnesia has done: It let me meet all you retards who take up a good couple hours of my day almost every day since I first joined. I HATE YOU ALL!!! Big Grin

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2013, 06:47 PM by Kreekakon.)
04-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Find
GiggleBlizzard Offline

Threads: 2
RE: What has discovering Amnesia/Frictional Games done for you?

Amnesia: The Dark Descent has changed the way I think of story-telling. It's the first horror game that has managed to immerse me and keep me going through the entire game, loving every single moment of it even though I was so scared I sometimes felt like I was going to die. It did have an impact on my life because when I played it I was in a depression and had little patience or joy in life, but playing Amnesia allowed me to escape from reality into a world of horror and thrills and then actually feeling good when returning to the real world.

It's one of the few games I enjoyed with passion, and it also helped building my interest in the horror genre, not the horror itself but the stories, the mythology and unkown. I wish I could one day meet the team and just sit down and discuss everything from the music and sound-design in the game to the story and what influenced them.
04-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1

Playing Amnesia through to the end has increased the size of my genitalia exponentially and made me into a real man.
04-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Made into a obnoxious nerd who thinks he's funny on a forum.

I warn you newcomers, you'll be sorry!

[Image: luv.gif]
04-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Cold extremities.
04-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

Frictional Games for me got me into more horror games than ever before. I like watching them, playing them, doing LP's of them, etc.

Since then, I learned horror games are not just about jump scares or screamers in your face. Horror games are stories told which rely on surviving the horrors that await you, building tension until the climax of the story.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
04-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

It introduced me to the whole horror genre. The only "horror" i've played before amnesia was FEAR demo and that was long time ago. I have learned the meaning of fear..I'm not joking, i've never been so scared in my life the first time i played the Amnesia demo. I didn't finish the demo, i stopped after seeing the glimpse of the monster for the first time. I just crouched there staring at the ground for like 30 minutes, that's where my sanity went to ... and those sounds ( i remember there was baby crying) started. That's when i closed the game and decided to watch TV instead. I could feel the pressure in my chest for like 10 minutes afterwards.

Also, thanks to Amnesia and FG, i found this awesome forum. Where i meet awesome members everyday Big Grin It's my favourite forum so far. Proof ? I got more than 1000 posts here, the second forum that i visit most frequently i have 400 posts.

I'm not joking, this whole game and community completely changed me and what i do. Because of this community and game i started watching youtubers like Cinnamontoastken and Cry.

I'm not the sugar coating type, or the butt kissing type. But i cant imagine what i would be doing if i didn't buy ATTD. If i didn't, i wouldnt know about this forum. I wouldnt watch youtubers. I wouldnt know anything about horror genre, wouldnt know HP lovecraft.

daaaaamn, i really took this seriously xD

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
04-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Find
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35

Discovering Amnesia introduced me to the horror genre. Before it, I had never been a fan of scary movies, horror games, horror novels, etc. But now, that's pretty much all I play/watch/read (almost). Like Dogfood said, it has also introduced me to wonderful Youtubers like Cry, Jenomorph, and many others.

It has also made me more into a forum person. After discovering Amnesia + the Frictional Games Forums, I started browsing other forum pages, along with this one, much more often.

So all in all, Amnesia has made me more glued to my computer seat... Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it's true nonetheless.

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
04-08-2013, 12:02 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

It gave me great stuff about horror. Before i found Amnesia, i thought L4D2 and FEAR is the greatest horror game ever created. Now i knew, Amnesia is truly the scariest game in the whole world.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
04-08-2013, 01:54 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

It made me Nocturnal.
04-08-2013, 02:02 AM
Find