Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
External HPL 2 use?
4WalledKid Offline

Threads: 23
Question  External HPL 2 use?

Hello! I was just wondering if I could use the HPL 2 engine without Amnesia. I want to make a game but I dont want it to be a custom story. Is it possible to create an exe to play the game created with the hpl2 engine? How can I do this?

Thanks! Smile

[Image: 4walledkidbanner_zps1514b7f6.png]
04-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Website Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
RE: External HPL 2 use?

It's possible. Full Conversions are, in fact, a different game running in the HPL2 engine.

The HPL2 engine is a FG property, so if you decide to make a game out of it, a good part of the benefits should go to FG.

Hope your doubts are cleared now Wink

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2013, 04:11 PM by The chaser.)
04-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Quote:It's possible. Full Conversions are, in fact, a different game running in the HPL2 engine.

Not exactly, because it's still using things related to Amnesia. A Full Conversion is simply a more customizable custom story.

Quote:The HPL2 engine is a FG property, so if you decide to make a game out of it, a good part of the benefits should go to FG.

Hope your doubts are cleared now Wink

First off, he'd need written and direct permission from Frictional to do such a thing and the only people to do this so far has been The Chinese Room. I wouldn't encourage selling anything a member makes. If you are REALLY REALLY determined, I would suggest asking for permission by Frictional before even setting anything up, but even still, I doubt they will say yes. I would just stick to making custom stories/full conversions.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2013, 04:17 PM by Statyk.)
04-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: Hello! I was just wondering if I could use the HPL 2 engine without Amnesia. I want to make a game but I dont want it to be a custom story. Is it possible to create an exe to play the game created with the hpl2 engine? How can I do this?

Thanks! [Image: smile.gif]
I don't think it's possible with the mod tools provided. Guess you'd need a special version of the engine from Frictional, like the one thechineseroom are working with.... But what do I know? Wink

I'm also wondering - If you want to make an entirely different game instead of an Amnesia Mod, what can hpl do for you that another engine like, say, Unreal can't? The Unreal Development Kit (UDK) is a free download, has great documentation and a big community. Same goes for example for Unity. And both are probably way easier to handle than hpl...
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2013, 04:25 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
04-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Find
4WalledKid Offline

Threads: 23

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I think I'll try with UDK or Unity. I still think hpl2 would be easier cause I already know the language. And this is just for fun, Im not thinking on making money or anything related to this. I dont even want Author Rights for it. All credits go to FC and thats clear.

[Image: 4walledkidbanner_zps1514b7f6.png]
04-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Website Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

Well, you could always try digging up HPL1, that's open source now. It's just...... a little more.... difficult to work with. If you look through the documentation for it on the wiki you'll see what I mean. There's a very good reason they made huge changes to it for Amnesia....

04-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Find