Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The moment of nothing
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
The moment of nothing

First of all I want you to watch this video, without reading further down.
Watch it in fullscreen too, please.

Ok.

Now tell me, how did you feel watching this?

What I feel is happening, is that we see how angry the wolf is, and the music goes into high-pitched violins that keep raising one tone at a time, and all this is tricking our brain into thinking something is going to happen, while nothing does...

And when it's all over you sit there with an empty feeling, like you didn't get the fear or shock released as you wanted.

Do you know any videos like this one, with moments of nothing?

I'd really like to recreate this in a game, like Amnesia, so got any tips on that?

What I think is important is:

Something fearful, yet calm. Creature/Object.
Suspending music.
And at last, calm music, to let you know that there was nothing...

Anything else important?

You opinion is valued!

Trying is the first step to success.
04-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1
RE: The moment of nothing

Hrm I can't think of any examples right now, but a scene like this is very effective at raising tension - an actual scare after it would have defused that tension again. Here it sticks with you, carries your feeling of unease over to the next scare. Be careful, however, not to go on too long with tricks like this - constant tension is actually not fun at all.
04-18-2013, 09:59 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

i watched this video with my mouth open... I thought it was gonna bite her face off or something.
Can't remember any videos similiar to this atm but if i do, i'll post em here Smile

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
04-18-2013, 09:59 PM
Find
str4wberrypanic Offline

Threads: 24

I think this is a crucial point in building atmosphere, but it's not always properly explored.
In my cs, i've put a trail of blood and in the end there was a closet. There was nothing in the closet, except for a oil bottle, but people would constantly avoid it in " let's play " videos.

04-18-2013, 10:04 PM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

Damnit, I was waiting for the wolf to start living or something and bite her throat out, just so I could say "Well, I guess she became...Dogfood.". *sigh*
04-18-2013, 10:12 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

(04-18-2013, 10:12 PM)Tiger Wrote: Well, I guess she became...Dogfood.". *sigh*

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
04-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Yes, I was also thinking that the first time. And if you're already in the mood, it's super effective.

The music should be easy to create. The problem is the fearful creature/object...

The blood in the closet is good.. Especially if you HAVE to open the closet, just to find exactly what was supposed to be there, and not a scare.

What we need for it to be in a game is a purpose of what we need to interact with the danger, without knowing what is going to happen, but we know something will happen.

Trying is the first step to success.
04-18-2013, 10:39 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

the object that does it for me is the iron maiden, because lets face it. In like 80% of custom stories, something happens when you approach or interact with the maiden. So, everytime i approach the maiden in a CS i just get all tense and prepared for the scare.

and in good custom stories, after all the preparing for the iron maiden jumpscare, when you finally get there.. nothing happens Smile

04-18-2013, 10:46 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Already seen Cabin in the Woods Sad

I knew it was too early in the film for shit to happen.

[Image: luv.gif]
04-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

That was beautiful.
Th-. . . Thank you.

I'd like to remind everyone that scenes that have a building moment of tension, then pause, then FUCK!! Are not what we should look for. Those are shitty.

I don't have anything like that, but I do have an interesting horror effect.

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2013, 12:56 AM by failedALIAS.)
04-19-2013, 12:53 AM
Find