Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Bitterwood Peak (RELEASE)
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
RE: Bitterwood Peak (RELEASE)

I haven't played this CS far, but I did some "optimizations". I'm sure it can be optimized further but I have kind of a "shitty computer" and it can run it fine - I'd like to see your "full system specs" Darkely. As for what was optimized - I mainly redid .dds textures with too large of a texture size. This mod can be optimized further if someone were to convert all the .pngs and .jpegs etc. to a .dds format - but I believe that would mainly optimize loading times, as I belive no mip-maps would have to be created "on the fly".

As for "other possible optimizations" (to improve FPS) I would suggest more "level splits" and a caution towards particles, spotlights and large areas. I don't have the patience to "make that" though.

:]

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

04-30-2013, 03:08 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Instead of ripping an idea from his story why don't you try to expand on it, incorporate your own ideas into it, etc. The whole reason it's impressive now is because its never been done before and if everyone starts copying it then the ideas are going to become stale and boring, losing all of what made them interesting in the first place. Like I said it's perfectly fine if you want to fuse ideas or use stuff from other stories as inspiration, I've done this with plenty of my maps in fact, but ripping entire ideas is just boring and uncreative.

Posting Freak
05-01-2013, 01:20 AM
Website Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

(04-30-2013, 08:03 AM)Streetboat Wrote: i don't own rights to the idea of sunroofs, but I just like how almost everyone's reaction to this story has been 'I WANT TO USE EVERYTHING HERE IN MY STORY' rather than just an appreciation of the unique style I tried to accomplish. Yano, things become less impressive the more redone they become. Can't something just exist by itself without being copied ad nauseum?

From what little I've been able to play things looks good, but the designs of like the first main area (the cabin/house) have been done (in real life). I still like it though.

(04-30-2013, 03:08 PM)Acies Wrote: I haven't played this CS far, but I did some "optimizations". I'm sure it can be optimized further but I have kind of a "shitty computer" and it can run it fine - I'd like to see your "full system specs" Darkely. As for what was optimized - I mainly redid .dds textures with too large of a texture size. This mod can be optimized further if someone were to convert all the .pngs and .jpegs etc. to a .dds format - but I believe that would mainly optimize loading times, as I belive no mip-maps would have to be created "on the fly".
Here you go. My computer is not high end, but not "shitty" well except the GPU anyway. I'm happy I can play with any AA however if I keep it turned all the way then I'll get lag when being chased or when the horrendous amount of special effects are all used at once.

05-01-2013, 01:35 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(05-01-2013, 01:35 AM)darkely Wrote: Here you go. My computer is not high end, but not "shitty" well except the GPU anyway. I'm happy I can play with any AA however if I keep it turned all the way then I'll get lag when being chased or when the horrendous amount of special effects are all used at once.
It's your GPU :[

(Not saying it's "your fault", but the reason to why you lag)

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2013, 07:51 PM by Acies.)
05-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Find
Tiero Offline

Threads: 13

Awesome story, so many new things I saw here, very-very good Big Grin

[Image: 111.jpg]
05-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Website Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Threads: 73

Didn't finish the story..
Was too lame for me.. no action nothing....
So i watched it on youtube..
The story was good offcourse..
mapping was very nicely done!
but the gameplay was not so good, and the "puzzles" with search here search there, was getting very bored after a while.
Those dogs "wolves" weren't scary at all, more annoying to me!
-
Liniear gameplay
good mapping
good scriptings
-
Overall 7½\10

Good Story.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2013, 05:23 PM by DnALANGE.)
05-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(05-02-2013, 04:08 PM)dnalange Wrote: Didn't finish the story..
Was too lame for me.. no action nothing....
So i watched it on youtube..
The story was good offcourse..
mapping was very nicely done!
but the gameplay was not so good, and the "puzzles" with search here search there, was getting very bored after a while.
Those dogs "wolves" weren't scary at all, more annoying to me!
-
Liniear gameplay
good mapping
good scriptings
-
Overall 7½\10

Good Story.

I think it might be best if you didn't give out of review of a game based off of your experiences with it on a Youtube video when compared to experiencing it yourself as certain aspects can be very different when watching them through video.

Even if you are just giving out an "impression" based off of the video, it's best to give people a double heads up to take it with a grain of salt that it is an "impression" based off a Youtube video, and not a final review.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2013, 06:44 PM by Kreekakon.)
05-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

I am free to say whatever i want to say am i?
ANd here is our friend ROBO again!!!
Where i write something he comes around to tell what i must NOT say or debat about what i have to say!!!
I played it until 70% +-
Then i was tired of searching..
and YES it i liniear gameplay, at least there are some raelly small parts where you need to go outsite for about 10 meters.. and get back in the house again..
well..
I have said that the mapping was VERY good.. overall 7½\10 is very good!
WHAT is the problem now?
people may NOT give any opinions anymore.. damn! this site is really getting worse!
It was so good...
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2013, 07:24 PM by DnALANGE.)
05-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

(05-02-2013, 07:24 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(05-02-2013, 07:21 PM)dnalange Wrote: I am free to whatever i want to say am i?
ANd here is our friend ROBO again!!!
Where i write something he comes around to tell what i must NOT say or debat about what i have to say!!!
I played it until 70% +-
Then i was tired of searching..
and YES it i liniear gameplay, at least there are some raelly small parts where you need to go outsie for about 10 meters.. and get back in the house again..
well..
I have said that the mapping was VERY good.. overall 7½\10 is very good!
WHAT is the problem now?
people may NOT give any opinions anymore.. damn! this site is really getting worse!
It was so good...
You are free to say what you want, to an extent, but you should also not say stuff that is blatantly untrue, it is not linear, it is arguably the -least- linear mod on these forums because everything is based around non linearity, you exploring, finding your own solutions and not following a set path. The original game was far more linear than this was, so I have no idea why you are saying something blatantly untrue.

-
Ok moderators here we go again!....
It is like this, you NEED to go from point a ->b->c->d...... it's not like i go find some stuff here and there adn go where ever i want???
SO.. LINIEAR gameplay!
Even tho there are 2 parts where you have to get outside to look for a key and something ünder a rock?
Anyway Robo,
It was VERY well designed and beautiful, with awesome scripts!
Just did not really felt like builded well or scary!
THIS is my opinion!
Overall this is VERY good and everyone must play this for sure!
But, again... people may NOT give their opinions agin and again and again............
i did NOT say bad things here, did i??
05-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Find
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 64

Okay this is getting again out of hands. Stop arguing right now and let it go. Thank you. x_x

“Life is a game, play it”
05-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Find