Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Help! This game is too sick!
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87
RE: Help! This game is too sick!

Spoiler below!
Don't underestimate the AI of the monsters if they're nearby), if you knock a bottle over, if you drop the book you're carrying, if you jump off of a pile of crates, the monster will more often than not hear you, and walk right over to your position.

Oh damn it has noise detection!!! welcome to 1998 where MGS and games before had that too!

Anyway regarding the monsters try not to make too much noise, because yes they can hear.

04-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

Tip: Don't read tips and walkthroughs

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
04-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

(04-28-2013, 10:55 AM)Dogfood Wrote: Tip: Don't read tips and walkthroughs

I wouldn't say that entirely. If you have tried everything you can then look at a guide to see what to do. Like try to solve it and then take a break if you still don't get it. After that then and only then should you resort to a guide. Sometimes [not always] guides take the fun out of a puzzle and make things too easy (I'm speaking from personal experience now XD).

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2013, 10:58 AM by darkely.)
04-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

You shouldn't need to, most of the puzzles are straightforward.
04-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1

You'd think so, but I've been trained by old adventure games to know that easy solutions don't exist. As such, some of the puzzles in Amnesia gave me a lot of trouble because they had easy solutions that I wouldn't think of.
Spoiler below!
I spent hours trying to figure out what item to use on the cogwheels near Agrippa, and I had to look up where I should get a fuse to set off the explosive in the storage.

Hence, my tip remains: Puzzle? Throw a rock at it.
04-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(04-28-2013, 03:23 PM)Funderbunk Wrote: You'd think so, but I've been trained by old adventure games to know that easy solutions don't exist. As such, some of the puzzles in Amnesia gave me a lot of trouble because they had easy solutions that I wouldn't think of.
Spoiler below!
I spent hours trying to figure out what item to use on the cogwheels near Agrippa, and I had to look up where I should get a fuse to set off the explosive in the storage.

No offense, but the solution to the storage explosive puzzle is spelled out quite clearly in a note found in one of the rooms. It goes something like this:

Note Wrote:On their own, the chemicals are not explosive, but when combined even the slightest disturbance will cause them to explode.

Or something like that. And it's not their fault you have conditioned yourself to think of video game puzzles in a certain way, that's something you brought with you into the game.
04-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

Quote: stop giving him tips dammit! [Image: tongue.gif] i know it sounds rude but we're actually spoiling the game for him. Let him be scared, let him be afraid of the unknown.
Yes.
Quote: Thank you for being the only logic thinker on this forum! Yes I too am
the sickened of american teenage CoD casuals and am wanting hardcore of
the truest difficult games. Amnesia is the only immersive real horror
game left, except for the penumbra maybe. but, think penumbra is better
because it has more logic puzzles. Both games are the perfect work and
frictional games are the only hardcore immersive puzzle developers left
that deliver to the niche german people for the hardcore gothic 2
witcher puzzle guys.

right
I think Kman might have a secret crush on Googol, guiz.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
04-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1

(04-28-2013, 04:46 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(04-28-2013, 03:23 PM)Funderbunk Wrote: You'd think so, but I've been trained by old adventure games to know that easy solutions don't exist. As such, some of the puzzles in Amnesia gave me a lot of trouble because they had easy solutions that I wouldn't think of.
Spoiler below!

No offense, but the solution to the storage explosive puzzle is spelled out quite clearly in a note found in one of the rooms. It goes something like this:

Anyway, all I'm saying is that this game does not always work like other games and what seems straightforward in other games is sometimes complicated here. I remember seeing Markiplier running around trying to find a way to lower the bridge
Note Wrote:On their own, the chemicals are not explosive, but when combined even the slightest disturbance will cause them to explode.

Or something like that. And it's not their fault you have conditioned yourself to think of video game puzzles in a certain way, that's something you brought with you into the game.

Thank you for rocking my world with the revelation that my personal perspective may have colored one, nay, perhaps all of my experiences. Tongue I did not say it was their fault, I did not even say it was a fault.

As for the clear notes, it tells
Spoiler below!
Alexander that his feather-brained servants should handle it with care once it's mixed.
Now that I know the solution, this is obvious. At the time, however, I took it for item fluff text since it was obviously stable enough to stay in my inventory as I ran, jumped and got smacked around.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that what is straightforward in other games is sometimes too complicated for Amnesia. There are no Silent Hill "you gotta put a baby head in the clothes dryer so the door will open" type puzzles. Many LPers I've seen had the same problem, the most notable example is probably
Spoiler below!
lowering the bridge in the Cistern Entrance when the lever doesn't bring it all the way down, in which pretty much everyone goes back to the machine thinking they've done something wrong.
It generally doesn't follow "game logic".

Edit reason: Sounded more negative than I wished to.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2013, 05:39 PM by rtjhbfvsrry.)
04-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

Quote:
Quote:Thank you for being the only logic thinker on this forum! Yes I too am
the sickened of american teenage CoD casuals and am wanting hardcore of
the truest difficult games. Amnesia is the only immersive real horror
game left, except for the penumbra maybe. but, think penumbra is better
because it has more logic puzzles. Both games are the perfect work and
frictional games are the only hardcore immersive puzzle developers left
that deliver to the niche german people for the hardcore gothic 2
witcher puzzle guys.

right
I think Kman might have a secret crush on Googol, guiz.

I need explicit shipping fanart. Nao.

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2013, 05:36 PM by CorinthianMerchant.)
04-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I just dislike your attitude. You seem to arbitrarily connect everything to outdated gaming concepts, which leads me to often question what your point is. Amnesia's puzzles are quite clever, at the very least they offer some suggestions to future developers what can be done with puzzles, and I object to you trivializing them by saying: throw a rock at it.

After edit: Fair enough, but still I had no problems with the puzzles. I found them to be quite fair in most cases. I would also like to apologize for any perceived hostility; it's genetic.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2013, 05:45 PM by Bridge.)
04-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Find