Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Should these opinion/disscussion scenario talks be kept in one thread, or each have a thread of their own?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Keep in one thread to prevent cluttering up the forums
0%
0 0%
Have new thread for each one to provide a more focused disscussion
100.00%
5 100.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How do you Voice Criticism Differently if it's Directly at the Creator?
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
How do you Voice Criticism Differently if it's Directly at the Creator?

Hey there all. Time for another little opinion sharing session. This time we'll be talking about something that I personally am interested in how you guys feel about:

How do you voice criticism differently if it's directed directly at the content's creator?

So we basically criticize things all the time. We say our thoughts about movies, games, and so forth. We decide if we like them, or don't like them. And sometimes we even go into massive rage mode tearing the whole thing apart, and calling it a worthless piece of cash-in junk. That's how we normally do criticism among ourselves AKA consumer base.

Here's the question today though: If you were faced with the creator(s) of the thing in particular how would you change the way you voiced your feedback on the product to him/her? Would you be more polite, or would you tear it all into pieces all the same?

As an example, say you hate Call of Duty a lot, and think it has a ton of problems which you voice quite honestly in most situations. If however one day you were faced with a Call of Duty game's level designer, and he asked your opinion, how would you voice it differently from the usual angry way you say it, if at all?

Keep in mind there is no correct answer, and I'm interested to hear all your thoughts!

PS: I'm also going to use this chance to gather a public opinion. I may very likely create more of these little "discussion/opinion scenarios", and I would like to ask you all if you think it'd be better to make a new thread for each one to keep each topic more focused, or to keep it all in one thread to keep from cluttering up the forums? Keep in mind though that they won't come SUPER often, and at very most once a week.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2013, 07:00 PM by Kreekakon.)
04-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: How do you Voice Criticism Differently if it's Directly at the Creator?

I generally try to keep my criticism somewhat constructive and levelheaded, no matter who I speak to. I usually focus on what certain aspects of the movie/game/whatever felt like to me and why I, personally, found them good or bad. If it's a topic I have a certain amount of "professional" knowledge of, I may also try and give more factual criticism that's not grounded in mere "opinion". I'll rarely go into full-on ragemode and just fling insults around Wink

That being said, of course it sounds very different when I'm talking to my friends about a game we all played, compared to what it'd sound like if I gave criticism to, say, Richard Garriott himself. But really, isn't that always the case, no matter the topic of the conversation?
I mean, one's tone and choice of words always depends on this complex social ranking of how well one knows the other person, what kind of status or "power" they have compared to oneself, what reaction one might expect from them...
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2013, 07:07 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
04-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1

I'd probably begin by asking why they made those choices. Perhaps their reasoning is a way of looking at it I hadn't realized. If not, I'd ask them "wouldn't it be better if..." etc. and see how they react. Then I'd take it from there.
04-27-2013, 08:19 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Honestly and in a forthright way, just like one should always do. However I am guilty of having occasionally lied, in a manner of speaking, if the conditions weren't optimal. For example, if I really do not want to engage in a long conversation or it was really not possible to talk. Like I heard this awful performance at a concert one time and later on ended up sitting next to the guy who gave it backstage, I just smiled and congratulated him on the performance. Under those circumstances, criticism is usually not welcomed by many. Although I would personally encourage it, you really can't be too sure and I try to always respect people's wishes. However, if someone asks me directly for my opinion, I generally do not lie. Even if it's a question where people expect to get a dishonest response.

EDIT: Also, what Funderbunk says. The artist may have a very good reason for his choices, especially if it's something highly subjective. For example, I find the cinematography in most movies to be awful, but it is part of a director's style. I may have certain standards for what constitutes good cinematography but ultimately I have no right to call incompetence without having all of the facts.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2013, 08:43 PM by Bridge.)
04-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

I'd never change about the criticism. But this time, I use the reasons to back me up.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
04-28-2013, 12:07 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

I'll give my honest opinion whenever.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
04-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Find