Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.13 Average
Rose marry hill and Haunted house comes togheter in a indie game!
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87
RE: Rose marry hill and Haunted house comes togheter in a indie game!

I find it interesting that Friction Games just forked over the engine files on a whim. If I wanted to make a game with the HPL2 engine all I have to do is ask? it sounds way too easy.

As for the project/game itself I'm almost positive it's going to be a flop. I could be wrong though - lets hope I am.

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2013, 08:19 PM by darkely.)
04-30-2013, 08:04 PM
Find
immaturegames Offline

Threads: 1

(04-30-2013, 08:04 PM)darkely Wrote: I find it interesting that Friction Games just forked over the engine files on a whim. If I wanted to make a game with the HPL2 engine all I have to do is ask? it sounds way too easy.

As for the project/game itself I'm almost positive it's going to be a flop. I could be wrong though - lets hope I am.
Why do you think it will be a flop Smile
04-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Like I said I could be wrong, but to me it looks like you're biting off way more than you can chew.

04-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

You can't just... make a game. It's not that simple.

I'm not sure why you're so dead set on this being an indie game rather than just a full conversion. What are you planning to utilize the HPL2 engine for that Amnesia doesn't already offer, and that you can't simply do with a few .cfg edits within a full conversion?

Why are you being so ambitious when it seems to me like there really isn't a need to be? It seems like you're making mountains out of molehills.

[Image: signature-2.png]
04-30-2013, 09:44 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

(04-30-2013, 09:44 PM)Streetboat Wrote: You can't just... make a game. It's not that simple.

I'm not sure why you're so dead set on this being an indie game rather than just a full conversion. What are you planning to utilize the HPL2 engine for that Amnesia doesn't already offer, and that you can't simply do with a few .cfg edits within a full conversion?

Why are you being so ambitious when it seems to me like there really isn't a need to be? It seems like you're making mountains out of molehills.

I'm not sure why either. Maybe it is simply to make money? even if the majority of it goes to Frictional Games I'm sure they'll still have a small slice. I mean really why would you go out of your way to make a separate game when you can do what you want by just making a custom story?

I've never heard of anyone using Custom Stories to make money (well excluding asking for donations which is rare in itself here). This whole thing seems fishy to me.

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2013, 08:18 AM by darkely.)
05-01-2013, 08:15 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I'm gonna be completely honest having looked at the screenshots, summaries, etc for this project and your other projects you guys have a long long long way to go before you even start making your first custom story. Not to mention that from what I've seen there's really no reason to make it an indie game, or even a full conversion really, other than the fact that calling it an indie game looks more flashy and professional.

Sorry if I came off like a dick, but I'm sick of all these mods throwing in useless features just to look more flashy even though they don't really benefit it in any way. You're not going to come in with a month or two of experience with the engine and make some massive mind blowing project. Sorry, but you're just not. It takes many many months of experience with the engine before you're really good with it, and you really shouldn't be taking on such ambitious projects when you're just learning how to use it.

Also this has been gone over before in other threads but since we don't have access to the source code and FG aren't willing to give it out making a project that's completely independent from amnesia is impossible

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2013, 08:24 AM by Kman.)
05-01-2013, 08:22 AM
Website Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

(05-01-2013, 08:22 AM)Kman Wrote: I'm gonna be completely honest having looked at the screenshots, summaries, etc for this project and your other projects you guys have a long long long way to go before you even start making your first custom story. Not to mention that from what I've seen there's really no reason to make it an indie game, or even a full conversion really, other than the fact that calling it an indie game looks more flashy and professional.

Sorry if I came off like a dick, but I'm sick of all these mods throwing in useless features just to look more flashy even though they don't really benefit it in any way. You're not going to come in with a month or two of experience with the engine and make some massive mind blowing project. Sorry, but you're just not. It takes many many months of experience with the engine before you're really good with it, and you really shouldn't be taking on such ambitious projects when you're just learning how to use it.

Also this has been gone over before in other threads but since we don't have access to the source code and FG aren't willing to give it out making a project that's completely independent from amnesia is impossible

I'm more curious as to why or how they got FG to give them the "engine files". Are there specific files needed to make a stand alone game with the engine?

Also if they are unwilling to give out these file(s) wouldn't the the quotes below be false? (or lies?).

Context:
(04-30-2013, 10:28 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Isn't this supposed to be a full conversion? If you're really making an indie game with HPL2, does FG allows it?

(04-30-2013, 11:19 AM)immaturegames Wrote:
(04-30-2013, 10:28 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Isn't this supposed to be a full conversion? If you're really making an indie game with HPL2, does FG allows it?
Of course I did Smile

Note: I'm not trying to call anybody names here I am just a bit confused (as usual Wink).

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2013, 08:32 AM by darkely.)
05-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

The source code is basically the foundation that the engine and the game itself are built on. I don't really know how to describe it better than that, but since we don't have access to it it's impossible to change certain key aspects of the game even with full conversions and also why it's impossible to make a stand alone game with HPL2

Posting Freak
05-01-2013, 08:34 AM
Website Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

(05-01-2013, 08:34 AM)Kman Wrote: The source code is basically the foundation that the engine and the game itself are built on. I don't really know how to describe it better than that, but since we don't have access to it it's impossible to change certain key aspects of the game even with full conversions and also why it's impossible to make a stand alone game with HPL2

So basically in order for them to make any substantial changes (that couldn't otherwise be done by just making a CS) they would need the source code. I highly doubt these two (or this group I should say) have the source code. It doesn't seem like something they would fork over to just anyone.

The person wanting to create this is claiming that they have they have "engine files" (as he says right here) seems highly unlikely to me. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure I'm not too far off the mark.

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2013, 06:21 PM by darkely.)
05-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

I think they don't have any files. They don't have any experience with custom stories or anything else. So why would FG just give them the engine? If it was a collab between dnalange, acies and many more awesome map builders, yes. I would believe it. But this? No. And even if you got the files, you probably wouldn't even know how to use them. I've looked into epicguy's script and it was copied and pasted from tutorials. So how would he know how to script?

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it's true
05-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Find