Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

H.P Lovecraft
Coldine Offline

Threads: 7
H.P Lovecraft

I've heard alot about H.P Lovecraft possibly being an inspiration for this game. and i had looked at some of his books and i was interested in reading of of his story's or books. Could any one suggest one of his best ones

Thanks

Coldine
06-17-2008, 05:24 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184
RE: H.P Lovecraft

There are many good ones!

I would suggest:
"The call of Cthulhu"
"The Colour Out of Space"
"The Hound"
to start with, as these are fairly short and gives a good taste what Lovecraft is about. It is hard to say which ones are best mainly because there are so many good ones Smile

Lovecraft can be a bit hard to read at first with many strange words and long descriptions, but I think it only adds to the mood, even if one does not understand every single word Smile

You can find all of his work online here:
http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/

But I would suggest getting a book and reading it under a lamp in an otherwise dark room late at night for the best feel.
06-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Find
Guyra Offline

Threads: 2

I became interested in Lovecraft a long time ago, but didn't get around to buying any books with his work until about six months ago. Only about 1/6th done with reading through all his works, as I don't read that often, though.

When I started playing Penumbra, I didn't know it was Lovecraft inspired. However, I was pretty sure already in the intro of Overture that it had been inspired by him, because of the storytelling style.

And it was fun finding a copy of Necronomicon in the library in the game! xD Oh, and the names of the protagonist(Philip) and his father(Howard). (Lovecraft's first name is Howard, his second/middle name is Phillips.) xD

I think there was more, but I can't recall it right now. Oh yeah, that "invisible" guy in Black Plague reminded me of Rats in the Walls - a story by Lovecraft I recommend. Smile

Anyway, I also suggest getting the books. You can get all of his works in books for just about nothing, so cost shouldn't really be a problem, for anyone. Wink
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2008, 12:19 PM by morris.)
06-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Find
Coldine Offline

Yes, Thank you both fro your replys i might stop by a book store later to look Smile
06-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Find
jamhaw Offline

Threads: 30

The head in Black PLague really made me think of reanimator.
06-17-2008, 11:52 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

I have heard the deep one (Or whatever title it is) is one of his best. Is that true? Or is it just a question of taste?

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
06-18-2008, 12:27 AM
Find
jamhaw Offline

Threads: 30

Well I don't even remember reading a story entitled the deep one. My favourite are the walls of Eris, Shadows over Innsmouth, Polaris the rats in the walls and the music of Erich Zahn. It's like someone mentioned above their are just so many good ones out there.
06-18-2008, 01:37 AM
Find
Coldine Offline

I went to the book store and bought a collection of his story's and read rats in the walls, I will definitely keep reading them. It creeped me out a bit and it did remind me of the penumbra writing style.
06-18-2008, 06:14 AM
Find
Coldine Offline

I also have a question about rats in the walls, at the end it talks about the police or watch finding him over the half eaten body and his cat attacking him. He was the only one to hear the rats so was he the rats, as in killing his friends in all thats why the cat was attacking him or were the rats separate beings?

Thanks

Coldine
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2008, 06:46 AM by mrpallman.)
06-18-2008, 06:46 AM
Find
ZaRboN
Unregistered

Is there any book about Penumbra or related to?
06-21-2008, 07:45 AM