Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Work in progress Forgiven a full conversion [DISCONTINUED]
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Forgiven a full conversion [screenshots]

(05-15-2013, 11:48 PM)Grumpyrog Wrote: Why wouldn't it? He has barerly used anything from the original game.

That's not reasonable justification for a full conversion.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
05-16-2013, 12:00 AM
Website Find
Solarflaire Offline

Threads: 3

(05-16-2013, 12:00 AM)Your Computer Wrote:
(05-15-2013, 11:48 PM)Grumpyrog Wrote: Why wouldn't it? He has barerly used anything from the original game.

That's not reasonable justification for a full conversion.

Alright I must've gotten it wrong. What is a full conversion?

I mean this mod is using custom entities/monsters/lantern/launcher/menu/save system/night vision etc

So I did some research and I found your thread YC and from what I've seen and played it should be classified as a full conversion or atleast a Partial conversion.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2013, 12:19 AM by Solarflaire.)
05-16-2013, 12:02 AM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Robo, I'm assuming since this doesn't take place in an old castle, and instead is more modern, then there won't be oil lanterns as a light source.

Grumpyrog, there's no such thing as a partial conversion. It's either a custom story or a full conversion, the difference being that full conversions allow you to change more things within the game, such as the handheld lamp, or the sanity effects and main menu.

[Image: signature-2.png]
05-16-2013, 12:27 AM
Find
Solarflaire Offline

(05-16-2013, 12:27 AM)Streetboat Wrote: Robo, I'm assuming since this doesn't take place in an old castle, and instead is more modern, then there won't be oil lanterns as a light source.

Grumpyrog, there's no such thing as a partial conversion. It's either a custom story or a full conversion, the difference being that full conversions allow you to change more things within the game, such as the handheld lamp, or the sanity effects and main menu.

Damn I'm confused... Well It's to early to judge it so yeah...

"Mods that add new content to the underlying game are often called partial conversions"

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_(video_gaming)
05-16-2013, 12:35 AM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Right, but in this particular case, the only applicable terms are custom story and full conversion. Going by broader terms, yes, it is a partial conversion, but no one really uses that term for Amnesia.

[Image: signature-2.png]
05-16-2013, 12:51 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(05-16-2013, 12:02 AM)Grumpyrog Wrote: Alright I must've gotten it wrong. What is a full conversion?

I mean this mod is using custom entities/monsters/lantern/launcher/menu/save system etc

So I did some research and I found your thread YC and from what I've seen and played it should be classified as a full conversion or atleast a Partial conversion.

The difference between a full conversion and a regular custom story is that a full conversion allows you to make modifications wherever the game allows. I don't consider custom environment objects or monsters as modifications (since you're not really modifying anything). Since a custom lantern and main-menu background requires configuration modifications you could consider them modifications, but out of the two only the lantern would have any real significance for the player. However, i haven't seen any screenshots or mention of a custom lantern for this full conversion (though, i don't expect there to be lots of power outages in 1968 and onward). Save system and launcher settings, only the location of the save files can be changed (but who'd make a full conversion for this?) and i doubt launcher settings were changed.

Which thread of mine? The one on how to make full conversions or the full conversion i released? (Both have a download.) The one i released has sanity drain removal from both darkness and monsters, and it also had removed sanity gain from light sources and sanity reset from having the sanity too low for too long. Some people have had trouble running that full conversion. I don't recall people having issues running regular custom stories (except perhaps for the installation part), so i recommend sticking to regular custom stories unless your story depends on full conversion modifications.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
05-16-2013, 12:53 AM
Website Find
Solarflaire Offline

Alright, Yeah I personally wanted it to be a custom story, due to the fact that people tend to enjoy those more, without having to deal with installation etc. Although will the night vision config still work in a custom story?

Also I read the thread when you showed how to set one up Smile

(05-16-2013, 12:51 AM)Streetboat Wrote: Right, but in this particular case, the only applicable terms are custom story and full conversion. Going by broader terms, yes, it is a partial conversion, but no one really uses that term for Amnesia.

Alright, thanks for the clarification Smile
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2013, 01:07 AM by Solarflaire.)
05-16-2013, 12:58 AM
Find
Artyom Offline

Threads: 27

Wow guys, this will be a full conversion. Although It's in such early progress so I can't guarantee it.

Anyways why would you seem so pissed about it?

- Inactive account -
05-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

Quote:I mean this mod is using custom entities/monsters/lantern/launcher/menu/save system/night vision etc
Custom lantern and changing the way night vision works - both of these things cannot be changed in a custom story, so if Zandorio wants them, it has to be a full conversion. It's his/her call to make

Quote:So I did some research and I found your thread YC and from what I've
seen and played it should be classified as a full conversion or atleast a
Partial conversion.
What more could you ask for? It's an informed decision that has been made, respect it.

On another more positive note, sounds great Zandorio, personally I look forward to seeing what you do with the idea!

05-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Find
Artyom Offline

Threads: 27

Quote:What more could you ask for? It's an informed decision that has been made, respect it.

On another more positive note, sounds great Zandorio, personally I look forward to seeing what you do with the idea!

Now that's a mature and open minded comment, thanks Smile

- Inactive account -
05-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Find