Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I make compounds in the level editor?
Neelke Offline

Threads: 82
How do I make compounds in the level editor?

Yea, the title says it all, how do you make compounds in the level editor?
05-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: How do I make compounds in the level editor?

Hold Shift and click all of the objects in the editor you want to make into one compound, then simply press B Smile

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2013, 01:17 PM by Romulator.)
05-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Find
Neelke Offline

Threads: 82

Thanks man Big Grin
05-13-2013, 01:52 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Welcome Smile
Ask more questions when needed. At least 4/5 of us do our best to help Big Grin

05-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Threads: 73

Yes, we are here to help!
HINT :
When you have pressed b -> BE CAREFULL with connecting new walls\etc.
It is a bit weird but then sometimes the next walls you place and attach to the compund"s" don't fit anymore.
AWNSER :
When you have selected for example 1 room with B,
Then when you have placed the compound, RE-PRESS B and move your { Un-compounded} room a little bit farward and backwards.. -> you will see the walls change a little bit of their position. <- THAT is how it must be!
If you do not do that, there is a possiblility tat you next walls\ etc, won't be placed how you want.
-
Try out what i just wrote here above, maybe you see what i mean.
It's VERY annoying when you have made a map and the hights and axes don't attach!
You don't want to MANUALLY have to replace the halfh map cause due the COMPOUND.
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2013, 05:57 PM by DnALANGE.)
05-13-2013, 05:54 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(05-13-2013, 05:54 PM)dnalange Wrote: When you have selected for example 1 room with B,
Then when you have placed the compound, RE-PRESS B and move your { Un-compounded} room a little bit farward and backwards.. -> you will see the walls change a little bit of their position. <- THAT is how it must be!
If you do not do that, there is a possiblility tat you next walls\ etc, won't be placed how you want.

This is because your compound contains translations of objects on the X, Y, Z that are not grid snapped. Let's say you compound two walls.

Grid Snap: On - 0.25

Wall A: 0 0 2
Wall B: 0 0 6
+ When compounded, they will remain in their proper positions when moved about the grid. No gaps between the two after moving them.

Wall B: 0 0 6.1
+ When compounded, Wall B will round down the Z axis and will snap back onto the grid, lining up the walls like above. No gaps between the two after moving them, even though there was one before moving them.

Grid Snap: Off
+ When compounded, Wall B and A will retain the most accurate number along the Z axis as possible, leaving the gap you had between the two. Fallback = no proper grid snap without lowering the grid snap to 0.1.
So when moved along the Z axis 4 units:
Wall A: 0 0 6
Wall B: 0 0 10.1

Understand? It's not "a bit weird sometimes", you just don't understand why you're doing something wrong =P

So basically, if you create a compound containing an object NOT following the grid snap, don't have gridsnap on when moving it, or don't add it to the compound.
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2013, 11:53 PM by Statyk.)
05-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Or in simple terms, if you realise you did something wrong with moving that compound, press Ctrl+Z then turn off the Grid Snap by using the magnet in the bottom left corner of the editor Smile

05-14-2013, 07:11 AM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Threads: 73

(05-13-2013, 11:48 PM)Statyk Wrote:
(05-13-2013, 05:54 PM)dnalange Wrote: When you have selected for example 1 room with B,

This is because your compound contains translations of objects on the X, Y, Z that are not grid snapped. Let's say you compound two walls.

Wall B: 0 0 6
+ When compounded, they will remain in their proper positions when moved about the grid. No gaps between the two after moving them.

+ When compounded, Wall B will round down the Z axis and will snap back onto the grid, lining up the walls like above. No gaps between the two after moving them, even though there was one before moving them.

Grid Snap: Off
+ When compounded, Wall B and A will retain the most accurate number along the Z axis as possible, leaving the gap you had between the two. Fallback = no proper grid snap without lowering the grid snap to 0.1.
So when moved along the Z axis 4 units:
Wall A: 0 0 6
Wall B: 0 0 10.1

Understand? It's not "a bit weird sometimes", you just don't understand why you're doing something wrong =P

So basically, if you create a compound containing an object NOT following the grid snap, don't have gridsnap on when moving it, or don't add it to the compound.

You are definetly right here!
But this was just to let this new guy understand IF he was doing stuff with the compounds, he should be a little bit carefull if he was using manet\NON magnet.
NOW he understood what or why the walls\rooms didn't attach properly.
FOR redo = control z indeed what below here.
Well. for other questions be free to ask.
I trys to help here Static.. he understood i guess!
Thanks for the extra info tho!
05-14-2013, 07:36 PM
Find