Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texture, Model & Animation Help Custom made skybox not being found in Textures file, please help!
LowKeeee Offline

Threads: 4
Wink  Custom made skybox not being found in Textures file, please help!

Hey there guys, so here's my predicament... I created a custom UV layer in Blender (and followed a YouTube tutorial so I'm sure it was done correctly) and exported it as a .png to GIMP 2 and made it into the cross pattern that you need to create the skybox. So, I export the file from GIMP 2 into a .dds file (I downloaded a .dds conversion plug-in off of the GIMP site), and when I go to change the level settings>skybox, my custom .dds skybox doesn't show up. Any suggestions?

P.S. There is an error I get as well when I try to export, it says "DDS: It appears your image may be a volume map,
but not all layers are the same type, thus a volume
map cannot be written (Perhaps some layers have
transparency and others do not?)."

Thanks guys!
05-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: Custom made skybox not being found in Textures file, please help!

My knowledge of skyboxes are very sloppy, but as far as I know, they have to be cubemaps in .dds format.
Perhaps this may be of help? http://www.cgtextures.com/content.php?ac...e=cubemaps
Smile

==The NVidia plugin thingy==
I'm sure that that plugin is for Photoshop as well. Dunno if its across a few applications, as I have only used/seen it in PS Smile

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2013, 09:00 AM by Romulator.)
05-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

You didn't create a valid cubemap. Only valid cubemaps show up for the skybox option.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
05-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Website Find
LowKeeee Offline

So, in that case... how would I create it into a valid cubemap? Is there a plug-in I can download that makes it a cubemap for GIMP or something?

EDIT: I'm just going to download a trial of Photoshop and get the texture tool plug-in for it, hopefully that will work.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2013, 10:35 PM by LowKeeee.)
05-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(05-16-2013, 10:32 PM)LowKeeee Wrote: So, in that case... how would I create it into a valid cubemap? Is there a plug-in I can download that makes it a cubemap for GIMP or something?

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-10037.html

05-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Website Find
LowKeeee Offline

I don't understand, I already downloaded this converter. Can you walk this through with me? Like, I don't know how to make it a cubemap when I don't know what selections I need to be clicking lol.

I'm getting so damn frustrated with this, all I want to do is make a skybox and put in my custom story. I have made a skybox in the horizontal cross format, and I just need to convert it into a cubemap. How do I do this with no more problems? I have been stuck on this crap for 2 whole days straight now.

"A dimly lit tunnel cogitates the debris to the heath, one unfortunate man shall discover what is Trapped Beneath."
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2013, 11:37 PM by LowKeeee.)
05-16-2013, 11:10 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(05-16-2013, 11:10 PM)LowKeeee Wrote: I don't understand, I already downloaded this converter. Can you walk this through with me? Like, I don't know how to make it a cubemap when I don't know what selections I need to be clicking lol.

http://www.cgtextures.com/content.php?ac...e=cubemaps

Horizontal Strip (XYZ) for my script is the same as Horizontal Strip (NVidia DDS exporter).

If you're trying to create a cubemap from 6 individual images, then more manual work is required and that is outside the scope of what my script does.

If you want me to convert it for you, i can do so.

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2013, 11:40 PM by Your Computer.)
05-16-2013, 11:39 PM
Website Find
LowKeeee Offline

I would appreciate it so much if you could convert it for me man. Should I send it to you as an .xcs or .png or does it matter? Also what sharing site should I use?

"A dimly lit tunnel cogitates the debris to the heath, one unfortunate man shall discover what is Trapped Beneath."
05-16-2013, 11:42 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(05-16-2013, 11:42 PM)LowKeeee Wrote: I would appreciate it so much if you could convert it for me man. Should I send it to you as an .xcs or .png or does it matter? Also what sharing site should I use?

If the GIMP can read it, doesn't matter what format. I don't care what file host you use, so long as it ain't confusing.

05-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Website Find
LowKeeee Offline

Ok, here is the link. I do have those lines that go across the vertices however, what's the best way to get rid of those?

http://www.4shared.com/file/AkNmdKil/skybox.html

05-16-2013, 11:46 PM
Find