Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia keeps crashing when I try to load my custom story
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Amnesia keeps crashing when I try to load my custom story

Ok so, firstly, I don't get the same error that you do. Not sure why, you might want to try using a default profile to load the CS, and if that doesn't work, copy your CS folder to a backup location, then un-install & re-install Amnesia

Even if you weren't getting that error, you still need to change the name of the start pos like i mentioned before, you called it ScriptArea_1 but that area type is not a script area, its a PlayerStart area. Either you used the wrong type of area, or you misnamed it. To make things easier, you can leave the name blank (using just "" in the relevant field of the .cfg) and it will default to the first placed PlayerStart area

The far more pressing issue you have though, is the size of the map, it's way way too big. It's so big, that in order to finish loading I left the room for 10 minutes, came back, and I could see the level but the game had crashed - the engine simply can't support the number of objects you had in it.

You're going to need to separate it out into separate .map files - you can do that (hopefully) fairly easily, by selecting all objects in a certain area that you want to move, then go to File > Export selection.
That will create a .expobj file which contains the objects you had selected, then on a new .map file you can go to File > Import Objects, select the .expobj file, and your previous selection will get imported. Luckily you've kept the areas pretty separated so it shouldn't be hard to export the right areas.

I hope that helps, and good luck fixing it.
Let me know if you didn't understand anything I've written

(This post was last modified: 05-31-2013, 07:39 PM by Adrianis.)
05-31-2013, 07:30 PM
Find
Kullin Offline

Threads: 23

Okey, i looked it over, and I have no idea why it crashed, my sugestion is to reinstall the game redo your custom story, thats the tip I can give sorry
05-31-2013, 10:07 PM
Find
thaniels Offline

Threads: 4

Well i have tried everything you have said in the post, i have reinstalled twice, (apparently you can leave the files like custom story and the amnesia settings folder where they are, as the new instal works there as well.) but i still keep getting the same error i have shown before, i have about 6 to 7 separate maps containing the different parts of the level, i have adjusted the settings in the .cfg files (including the user_setting and the main setting in the amnesia folder outside of steam) yet, still the error occurs.

ill add my hpl.log to this reply, hopefully you will be able to figure out what is going on. I really appreciate all the time you guys are spending on my problem Smile

(06-01-2013, 01:07 PM)thaniels Wrote: Well i have tried everything you have said in the post, i have reinstalled twice, (apparently you can leave the files like custom story and the amnesia settings folder where they are, as the new instal works there as well.) but i still keep getting the same error i have shown before, i have about 6 to 7 separate maps containing the different parts of the level, i have adjusted the settings in the .cfg files (including the user_setting and the main setting in the amnesia folder outside of steam) yet, still the error occurs.

ill add my hpl.log to this reply, hopefully you will be able to figure out what is going on. I really appreciate all the time you guys are spending on my problem Smile

(with, "the new instal works there as well", i mean that the level editor files and all the other folders that belong to the amnesia instal could all remain in the amnesia the dark decent folder as the game just installed itself in the same folder again) please if there is a different way to reinstall amnesia, that might help with against the crashes then please, tell me Smile

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 3.25 KB / Downloads: 137)
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2013, 01:11 PM by thaniels.)
06-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

It says it cannot find the files.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
06-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

(06-01-2013, 01:07 PM)thaniels Wrote:
Spoiler below!

Well i have tried everything you have said in the post, i have reinstalled twice, (apparently you can leave the files like custom story and the amnesia settings folder where they are, as the new instal works there as well.) but i still keep getting the same error i have shown before, i have about 6 to 7 separate maps containing the different parts of the level, i have adjusted the settings in the .cfg files (including the user_setting and the main setting in the amnesia folder outside of steam) yet, still the error occurs.

(06-01-2013, 01:07 PM)thaniels Wrote: Well i have tried everything you have said in the post, i have reinstalled twice, (apparently you can leave the files like custom story and the amnesia settings folder where they are, as the new instal works there as well.) but i still keep getting the same error i have shown before, i have about 6 to 7 separate maps containing the different parts of the level, i have adjusted the settings in the .cfg files (including the user_setting and the main setting in the amnesia folder outside of steam) yet, still the error occurs.

(with, "the new instal works there as well", i mean that the level editor files and all the other folders that belong to the amnesia instal could all remain in the amnesia the dark decent folder as the game just installed itself in the same folder again) please if there is a different way to reinstall amnesia, that might help with against the crashes then please, tell me Smile

It says your still using a dev profile - try loading it with a default profile in case there is something in there causing the issue.

If it's still not good, post up you're latest CS folder an I'll give it another go to see if i can replicate the issue

06-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Find
thaniels Offline

(06-01-2013, 11:33 PM)Adrianis Wrote:
(06-01-2013, 01:07 PM)thaniels Wrote:
Spoiler below!

It says your still using a dev profile - try loading it with a default profile in case there is something in there causing the issue.

If it's still not good, post up you're latest CS folder an I'll give it another go to see if i can replicate the issue

so in the main_setting.cfg instead of dev_user just type default

Big Grin ok your last suggestion of using default as a profile did launch the normal game so it does seem to find the regular game. so at least that one works, but it did not load the custom file, so ill .rar my CS folder and send it with this post and for extra measure ill add my hlp.log as well Wink

Attached Files
.rar   custom_stories.rar (Size: 136.75 KB / Downloads: 118)
.log   hpl.log (Size: 6.02 KB / Downloads: 131)
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2013, 01:30 PM by thaniels.)
06-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Your custom_story_settings.cfg is configured wrong.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
06-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Find
thaniels Offline

(06-02-2013, 01:42 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Your custom_story_settings.cfg is configured wrong.

HOLY CRAP! IT WORKS, my dear god Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHH! awesome.

(06-02-2013, 01:57 PM)thaniels Wrote:
(06-02-2013, 01:42 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Your custom_story_settings.cfg is configured wrong.

HOLY CRAP! IT WORKS, my dear god Big Grin YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHH! awesome.

thank you guys soooooooo much, i can finally continue working Big Grin finally it has been solved Big Grin I will post the complete story for you when it is done so you can try it out, I hope i can get the programming done in 3 weeks as i'm still sort of getting the hang of it.

and again, thank you guys Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2013, 02:00 PM by thaniels.)
06-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Find