Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

New computer.
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
New computer.

I just got paid, my monthly pay.

Now, I'm sitting here with 13.000 danish crowns. (That's our coin)

1 dollar is 5.73 danish crowns.
1 euro is 7.46 danish crowns.

So, my computer barely runs Amnesia the Dark Descent on medium graphics, so I clearly want a new computer.

I'm thinking about getting myself a stationary computer, instead of my laptop.
This is primary going to be a gaming computer.

Now, did I make this thread only to tell you this? No.
I'd like to know if you know any computer that is pretty good at gaming, and when i say pretty good, i mean, most games, (Like Skyrim), on highest settings.

Also, what am I supposed to focus on when buying a computer.

I'm aware that my graphic card needs to be high, but how do you define a high graphic card?
There's also something about CPU that I need to upgrade. But I'm not really any good in the experience of computers. Teach me, masters!

Also, I'm thinking about waiting another month, which means I'll probably end up with about 18.000 crowns.

I hope you can help me!

Oh, I'm also going to need a new monitor. Something with good graphics, but not gigantic. I can do with a normal size.

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2013, 08:48 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
05-31-2013, 08:45 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: New computer.

First, I recommend educating yourself. This article is pretty solid, it teaches you everything you need to know about computers. The next and probably most difficult and time consuming stuff step is searching for parts online (I don't like pre-built PCs but I suppose there are good deals out there if you can find them). Visit all of the computer stores' websites you can find (or order from Amazon or something if you want). Go through all of the essential parts one by one and via a process of elimination find the part that best suits your needs (one you can afford and isn't excessive). It will take a while but there are sites out there that offer comparisons on CPUs, GPUs, motherboards and everything you can think of. There are especially a lot of sites that compare GPUs, that often test the newest games and report the average and high/low FPS for each GPU. It's actually quite a lot of fun though, so take your time and don't rush into anything. Here are some general guidelines that you should probably follow when looking at parts:

CPU (processor): For gaming you probably want a quad-core but if you have money to spend you can buy more insane CPUs but most of them are too excessive for gaming purposes. Check the clock rate that's listed; above 3.0 is fairly solid, anything below 2.0 is usually not going to cut it for modern games.

RAM (memory): I don't recommend anything below 4 GB. 8 GB is fairly solid, and only go for 16 and above if you're into hardcore modeling or sound design/mixing/whatever.

Motherboard: Just make sure it's compatible with everything else you buy. If you purchase the parts at a retail store someone there can help you out. As I said, educate yourself and you will know whether the motherboard suits your purposes.

GPU (graphics card): If you can afford it, buy the latest model from whatever company you prefer. These things become outdatedreally fast, but just make sure it works well with the games you're going to be playing. It will certainly last but if you are big on playing the newest games when they come out prepare to upgrade often, and you may possibly need to buy an extra one (not usually necessary).

PSU (power supply): 500W is solid, and 700W and above is only necessary if you're going to build a crazy rig (dual GPUs and such). Whatever you do, don't cheap out on the PSU. While there are safeguards on most modern motherboards that protect against power failure if the PSU goes out with a bang it very well may take everything else down with it. It's just not worth the money you save. Buy a good one.

Hard drive: You probably know how important it is to have a lot of space. Anything under 500 GB nowadays is probably not a good idea. If you have an external place to store your stuff, you may want to consider buying a small SDD. I have one that is around 120 GB and it works beautifully. The system boots in literally 3 seconds and SDDs carry with them a bunch of cool features. There are articles online that explain how awesome they are, but they are not really necessary as they are quite expensive as of now.

Everything else like peripherals and such is up to you. I don't really know any good screens. Just buy whatever has good reviews and supports the resolution you want.

P.S. Probably some of my info is old. I don't really keep up with the newest trends that much so depending on your preferences you may want to go much higher than what I recommended. As I said, read up on it yourself and make educated assessments when searching online.
05-31-2013, 09:17 PM
Find
Posting Freak

It sounds great. You've already educated me a bit with what you wrote there. Thanks!
I'm gonna read the article some day soon.

So, i guess you recommend i build my own computer. It sounds really cool, and a nice thing to do! I'll see if my dad can help me too.

05-31-2013, 09:38 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

I recommend the following computer:

Intel Core i5-4670 (3,40 GHz "Haswell" Quad-Core)
8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz CL9
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, SATA-III

+ The Rest: Buy a good motherboard, PSU, CPU-Cooler and all what you need. Makes around 7.500 danish crowns.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2013, 04:20 PM by Googolplex.)
06-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

If I understood correctly you now have just a laptop so you basically need a new computer with all peripherals for 1740€. That means:

Computer (psu, cpu, gpu, ram, mobo, hdd/ssd, cpu fan, case, dvd rom)
Peripherals (monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers/headphones)

Alright, it's fairly possible. It depends on what you intend to do with your computer (gaming, facebooking, video editing etc...). Tell me if the list of things above is what we are looking for (for example you may already have a keyboard or mouse) and what is your intended use. From there, I will start suggesting according to your needs.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2013, 07:44 PM by plutomaniac.)
06-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

EDIT: 13k Danish Crowns is £1.4k. HOLY SHIT you could totally go to town on your build if you want. Best rule to stick to is, buy what you need, some people will buy the best for the sake of it being the best when it does award winning shit that you would never need personally.

I built a computer for around £1000 maybe a little over.

The following runs Amnesia on max without any problems. Haven't tried more demanding games like Skyrim or Battlefield on max etc.

I got:

Processor: Intel Quad Core i5-2500 @ 3.30Ghz (not overclocked)

GPU: I think I got ripped off here through bad advice from an outdated computer builder my dad knew. I bought an ATI Radeon HD 4870 for way too much. Only thing I regret. It runs fine but I know I could have bought better for the money I spent.

Motherboard: ASUS P8H67-M. No complaints, mean't to be really good for updating hardware in the future.

RAM: 4GB, can't remember brand but its enough for what I need. 8GB would be a future upgrade if needed.

PSU/Chassis: The chassis I bought came with its own PSU I think. The case is a sturdy and spacious Antec, the PSU is normally quiet. But when playing Amnesia or some other game it can get pretty loud. Would like a quieter one if I could.

Hard Drive: Was given a 500GB one by the guy helping me, split into 250GB for a back up. In a year and half I barely used up a fraction of the first 250GB. At the time Western Digital HDD's were priced ridiculously high, but I hear they're the best.

DVD drives: Bought two plextor drives, only needed one but my dad insisted I bought two for some reason at the time.

Peripherals

24" Samsung 1080p monitor. LOVE IT.
Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard bundle. Cost quite a lot but totally worth it.
Cheap logitech speakers. Barely use them but they do the job.
£20 headset, great sound and comfort but the mic is shit.

So I could have saved money on some places, and prices have gone down since the time I built it.

[Image: luv.gif]
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2013, 08:52 PM by Wooderson.)
06-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

Does anyone know or have a custom PC set-up that's worth somewhere around $1000? I'm planning on buying a PC(Custom built), but I don't really know what specs to get.
06-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

bought mine here: http://t***.**/default.asp?status=noaccess
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2013, 10:19 PM by plutomaniac.)
06-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

Guys, let's try not to "advertise" places here. Also, first the OP must be helped.

And yes, as I said, it depends on what you do with your computer. Let me know: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...#pid236534
06-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Find
Posting Freak

Ok guys. You're maybe a little late, but thanks i really appreciate the help Smile
I've already ordered my stuff, and first part has already arrived.
[Image: 1sfh1e.jpg]
Now, here is what I've bought:

Cooler:
Arctic Cooling Freezer
XTREME Rev.2 - 120mm

RAM:
Kingston HyperX blu - 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 CL9

Harddrive:
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 - 3.5″ SATA-600 2TB

Anti-static bracelet:
ESD Armbånd til afledning af statisk el

Case:
Thermaltake Commander MS-I - ATX Black

CPU:
Intel Core i7 3770K / 3.5 GHz Processor - LGA1155

Graphic card:
eVGA GeForce GTX 670 graphic card - 2GB

System software:
Windows 8 - 64bit Licens and media 1 PC Danish

DVD-drive:
Samsung SH-224BB - SATA Intern DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM Black

PSU:
XFX ProSeries P1-750X-XXB9 XXX Edition Semi Modular (Bronze) - 750W 135 mm fan

Keyboard:
Acer KB.USB03.229

SSD:
Samsung 840 Series MZ-7TD120 - 2.5″ SATA-600 120GB

Motherboard:
MSI Z77A-G45 GAMING - ATX LGA1155

I also bought a monitor, but I don't have the specs right here... It has 2ms in response-time.

TOTAL: 11.000 DKK

(06-07-2013, 07:42 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: If I understood correctly you now have just a laptop so you basically need a new computer with all peripherals for 1740€. That means:

Computer (psu, cpu, gpu, ram, mobo, hdd/ssd, cpu fan, case, dvd rom)
Peripherals (monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers/headphones)

Alright, it's fairly possible. It depends on what you intend to do with your computer (gaming, facebooking, video editing etc...). Tell me if the list of things above is what we are looking for (for example you may already have a keyboard or mouse) and what is your intended use. From there, I will start suggesting according to your needs.

Yes, I have, right at the moment, just a laptop. Which mostly runs Amnesia on medium-low settings. As you see, it was possible (If you, by that, are ok with what I bought).
I did not buy headphones/Speakers, since I already have some. Mouse, I had too.

Well, mostly I was looking for a computer that could run games on highest settings. My laptop cannot. I think I've gotten some stuff that should be able to do that for me.

I had a friend of mine (Who had build a game computer himself) help me with the parts. I was also chatting with a guy on a website where they sold the stuff.

(This post was last modified: 06-08-2013, 01:21 AM by FlawlessHappiness.)
06-08-2013, 01:03 AM
Find