Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Hypothetical
GiggleBlizzard Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Hypothetical

(06-07-2013, 12:32 AM)Bridge Wrote:
(06-07-2013, 12:19 AM)GiggleBlizzard Wrote:
(06-06-2013, 06:10 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: If you're falling to the core, you'll deccellerate nearing the center since gravity at the other side also pushing you at the same time. This force pushing you down will be overwhelmed by the force propelling you up as you got near the center.

Is this really how it works? I thought gravity only worked in 'one' direction, but... I was gonna use a magnet as an example but then I realised that a magnet follows the rules you just said.

I think gravity does work like that, as you said, in one direction. Hypothetically, if you could pass through the core unscathed, I think it is generally accepted that you would swing back and forth, gradually losing momentum until come to a full stop at the center. If you had absolutely no mass then I suppose it would happen as JAP said, but I don't think earth's gravitational forces are strong enough to bring your momentum down to zero instantly at the center. Could be completely wrong though.

Actually it's not one direction, use 2 magnets. If you take the sides of the magnets that do not pull and put them against eachother, they will push. It's because they pull in -> direction, so if || is the magnet the force would be like this

Pull Magnet push (the push being slightly less powerful)
---> || ->

Just like a vacum cleaner has to push air in the back to suck in air in the front.

But then if a core is round and pulls from all sides, at the exact same power from all sides, then you would basically just stick to the core, and if you could go through the mass surrounding the core you would simply fall into the very center of the core and stay there... Considering how strong the earth's core is though you would probably implode or something.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2013, 12:38 AM by GiggleBlizzard.)
06-07-2013, 12:38 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(06-07-2013, 12:38 AM)GiggleBlizzard Wrote:
(06-07-2013, 12:32 AM)Bridge Wrote:
(06-07-2013, 12:19 AM)GiggleBlizzard Wrote:
(06-06-2013, 06:10 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: If you're falling to the core, you'll deccellerate nearing the center since gravity at the other side also pushing you at the same time. This force pushing you down will be overwhelmed by the force propelling you up as you got near the center.

Is this really how it works? I thought gravity only worked in 'one' direction, but... I was gonna use a magnet as an example but then I realised that a magnet follows the rules you just said.

I think gravity does work like that, as you said, in one direction. Hypothetically, if you could pass through the core unscathed, I think it is generally accepted that you would swing back and forth, gradually losing momentum until come to a full stop at the center. If you had absolutely no mass then I suppose it would happen as JAP said, but I don't think earth's gravitational forces are strong enough to bring your momentum down to zero instantly at the center. Could be completely wrong though.

Actually it's not one direction, use 2 magnets. If you take the sides of the magnets that do not pull and put them against eachother, they will push. It's because they pull in -> direction, so if || is the magnet the force would be like this

Pull Magnet push (the push being slightly less powerful)
---> || ->

Just like a vacum cleaner has to push air in the back to suck in air in the front.

But then if a core is round and pulls from all sides, at the exact same power from all sides, then you would basically just stick to the core, and if you could go through the mass surrounding the core you would simply fall into the very center of the core and stay there... Considering how strong the earth's core is though you would probably implode or something.

Gravitational forces are not the same as magnetic ones. Your example suggests that two planets with equal gravitational force would cancel each other out and that it would be impossible for them to collide, which is clearly ridiculous. Furthermore, I do not see how it is possible for gravitational forces from "the other side" to affect you seeing as they are from the other side. They pull stuff in from their side, and the other side pulls stuff in from their side. If every single point could attract physical bodies from every which direction, then there would be no center.

EDIT: The reason you decelerate is because changing directions causes you to lose momentum. There is absolutely no way to take a literal 180 without losing any momentum, and because your momentum is conserved while going through the core, you still go at the same speed, until you get to "the other side", where gravity is going to pull you down again, et cetera until you stop.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2013, 12:51 AM by Bridge.)
06-07-2013, 12:49 AM
Find
GiggleBlizzard Offline

Threads: 2

I don't know enough science for this shit, you're most likely right in the regard, it makes sense the way you explain it.
06-07-2013, 12:59 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

Quote: Furthermore, I do not see how it is possible for gravitational forces
from "the other side" to affect you seeing as they are from the other side. They pull stuff in from their side, and the other side pulls stuff in from their side.
That's kind of a confusing description, the part of the object with the most density attracts objects from EVERY side. Gravity pulls you towards that center.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
06-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(06-07-2013, 03:30 PM)Aldighieri Wrote:
Quote: Furthermore, I do not see how it is possible for gravitational forces
from "the other side" to affect you seeing as they are from the other side. They pull stuff in from their side, and the other side pulls stuff in from their side.
That's kind of a confusing description, the part of the object with the most density attracts objects from EVERY side. Gravity pulls you towards that center.

Exactly. But I had to use "sides" to keep my rebuttal consistent with the argument at hand.
06-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Find