Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HD Planes / Textures
Linus Ågren Offline

Threads: 58
HD Planes / Textures

General Information:
Texture Size: 512x512. (Original Size is Above 2048x2048 and I can make and upload higher res ones if you want it.)
Image & Texture formats: .png and .mat.
Camera Used: The camera on my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone. (13 Megapixels, but remember, textures are scaled down.)
Tileable: Yes.
Texture Types: 1x Dirt, 3x Grass, 4x Gravel, 2x Rough Gravel, 1x Sand.

Texture Images:
Spoiler below!

Downloads: (Click text to download your desired size)
Spoiler below!
512x512
1024x1024 [Will be made if the interest is high enough.]
2048x2048 [Lol does anybody really need this high res for Amnesia? Either way, same as above.]

No credit needed unless you want and yes, I take requests! :)

Creator of The Dark Treasure.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2013, 10:47 PM by Linus Ågren.)
07-09-2013, 10:46 PM
Website Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
RE: HD Planes / Textures

This might be useful for you:

http://www.cgtextures.com/content.php?ac...ngtextures

Other than that, they're quite nice, knowing they came from a mobile! However, in some textures the tiling is way too evident. With the link I provided you should be able to make your photos a lot better Wink

Avoid noticeable things, like the [bush in pic 7 (or 4th, if you count vertically)] or the [sand deformations, in the last pic]. That'll make the tiling evident, and,when you make the normal map, it will look horrible.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
07-10-2013, 01:21 AM
Find
Linus Ågren Offline

True that. I will try to blend some textures together in future ones to filter away the easily spotted repetative spots.
And also try to take my camera further away from certain terrains! I need to stop thinking "easily covered up with some foilage"-wise. Takes away the quality indeed.

Thanks for the criticism!

07-10-2013, 01:35 AM
Website Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

It's better to upload complete pack of textures. I mean not only diffuse, but also normal, specular and height maps. Diffuse alone is nice but... you know, it's something that is not ready for usage.

And preferably upload at least diffuse 1024x1024, 512x512 is too lowres even for Amnesia.

As for textures themselves mr.Chaser is right that tiling is not nicely made. How exactly you made them tileable? Crazybump I guess or some other generator.

And finally some applause. The fact that you made photos by yourself, not just downloaded, makes your work priceless. I mean seriously. I really like exclusive things, that's always priceless.
07-10-2013, 03:57 AM
Website Find
jssjr90 Offline

Threads: 39

You rock junkfood2121! Credited as always on my custom story "The Hands Resist Him" This is just what I was looking for!
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2013, 05:08 AM by jssjr90.)
07-10-2013, 04:57 AM
Find
Linus Ågren Offline

(07-10-2013, 03:57 AM)Alex Ros Wrote: It's better to upload complete pack of textures. I mean not only diffuse, but also normal, specular and height maps. Diffuse alone is nice but... you know, it's something that is not ready for usage.

And preferably upload at least diffuse 1024x1024, 512x512 is too lowres even for Amnesia.

As for textures themselves mr.Chaser is right that tiling is not nicely made. How exactly you made them tileable? Crazybump I guess or some other generator.

And finally some applause. The fact that you made photos by yourself, not just downloaded, makes your work priceless. I mean seriously. I really like exclusive things, that's always priceless.

I found that the grass textures did not really need the norm & specular maps. Bumping certain grass-type plains looks corny to me. I could try giving it a shot on my next attempt just to see the result!
I feel that the specular is not really nessisary on the others either.
I tend only to use specular maps on metalish objects. The shine is not nessisary on grass, stone or sand!

I'm using PixPlant2 for the tiling-gen. It is very customizable so I will definitely try to improve the tilings! The only thing holding me back is that I am not very experienced with the program yet. Tongue

Thanks! Yeah, I find it much more interesting and fun to work with textures you took yourself rather than just taking something from the internet. It takes away a lot of the fun.

07-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Website Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Also, one thing I forgot to mention: Try to make the textures tileable since the moment you make the photo. I'm even making some photographs to stuff to improve my skills.

If I was you, I'd try first to make photographs of artificial things (a wall of your house, or the street floor, some building bricks, etc) so you get practice with more-or-less easy textures. Nature is a real challenge to make in a game, so try first with something simplier (like the bricks) and, when you have the experience, photograph nature.

Making the pics excellent already with the camera will save a lot of time, as you won't have to be bitching in programs. (It isn't bad, it just consumes time).

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
07-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Find
Linus Ågren Offline

(07-10-2013, 10:38 AM)The chaser Wrote: Also, one thing I forgot to mention: Try to make the textures tileable since the moment you make the photo. I'm even making some photographs to stuff to improve my skills.

If I was you, I'd try first to make photographs of artificial things (a wall of your house, or the street floor, some building bricks, etc) so you get practice with more-or-less easy textures. Nature is a real challenge to make in a game, so try first with something simplier (like the bricks) and, when you have the experience, photograph nature.

Making the pics excellent already with the camera will save a lot of time, as you won't have to be bitching in programs. (It isn't bad, it just consumes time).

Practice makes perfect, eh? Although it does not take that much time to tile it in PixPlant, having a great photo at start is certainly better. I'll see what I can do. Will be trying a lot of different textures aswell as different positions with my camera for the best possible texture.

07-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Website Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

(07-10-2013, 09:24 AM)junkfood2121 Wrote:
(07-10-2013, 03:57 AM)Alex Ros Wrote: It's better to upload complete pack of textures. I mean not only diffuse, but also normal, specular and height maps. Diffuse alone is nice but... you know, it's something that is not ready for usage...
I found that the grass textures did not really need the norm & specular maps. Bumping certain grass-type plains looks corny to me. I could try giving it a shot on my next attempt just to see the result! I feel that the specular is not really nessisary on the others either. I tend only to use specular maps on metalish objects. The shine is not nessisary on grass, stone or sand!
You're absolutely right bout not trying to make normals for grass, that would be useless. But the ground itself do need some curvings, bumpings, you know. As for specular some might need specs for rainy weather and wet effects, no less, no more.

(07-10-2013, 09:24 AM)junkfood2121 Wrote: I'm using PixPlant2 for the tiling-gen. It is very customizable so I will definitely try to improve the tilings! The only thing holding me back is that I am not very experienced with the program yet. Tongue
That's cool, because that's the most pro generator. Of course, nothing in comparison to baking normals, but among generators PixPlant is the best. With PixPlant you could surely make a much better tiling.
07-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Website Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

These all tile a ton, you should head into photoshop and get rid of any obvious tiling elements in the texture, otherwise it'll simply look wierd looking at them in-game.
07-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Find