Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thief
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
RE: Thief

(01-30-2014, 09:56 PM)Deep One Wrote: hallenging and rewarding gameplay, no hand-holding, no "points" (well maybe souls count as points idk) nor "quests", it forces player to explore things on one's own (you can't just check the map ), no pausing etc. Kinda more "HC" than most of games. But if story and dialogue is your thing, this game is not for you

Yeah, story and dialogues are my thing. The gameplay looks like some kind of a hack n slay MMORPG where there are stupid boss-enemies to kill. Every monster looks like to be a "killing-object". The HUD ruins the immersion and there are too many magical effects. The hero also does have big fantasy like armors/weapons. Not my thing.
But thanks for the hint.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2014, 10:25 PM by Googolplex.)
01-30-2014, 10:24 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(01-30-2014, 10:24 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(01-30-2014, 09:56 PM)Deep One Wrote: hallenging and rewarding gameplay, no hand-holding, no "points" (well maybe souls count as points idk) nor "quests", it forces player to explore things on one's own (you can't just check the map ), no pausing etc. Kinda more "HC" than most of games. But if story and dialogue is your thing, this game is not for you

Yeah, story and dialogues are my thing. The gameplay looks like some kind of a hack n slay MMORPG where there are stupid boss-enemies to kill. Every monster looks like to be a "killing-object". The HUD ruins the immersion and there are too many magical effects. The hero also does have big fantasy like armors/weapons. Not my thing.
But thanks for the hint.

It's not even close to a hack 'n slash or MMORPG, every monster is not a "killing-object" and you can naturally choose what you wear... but yeah just forget it
01-30-2014, 10:32 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(01-30-2014, 08:36 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(01-30-2014, 08:10 PM)Deep One Wrote: Just asking, have you played Dark Souls? You might like it

No, the only RPGs I played are Gothic, Risen and The Witcher. The complete series.
In future I will play Skyrim and Oblivion. But I watched some letsplays of Dark Souls and disliked it absolutely.
It's not that what I expect from a good RPG.

Why do you think I would like it?

Seriously, you are alone in the cold with that one.

It's the exact kind of hardcore experience that you keep yammering on about.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
01-30-2014, 10:47 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

Dark Souls is unforgiving but not as hard as people say.

It will kill you a lot of times but not because of bad controls or unfairness (with the exception of a very specific boss fight) but because it's a game where intelligence, tact and SAFE experimentation and exploration are the name of the game.

If you run through every single area of the game or play it while not at a 100 percent (say...drunk) you WILL die. It intends for the players to understand how the game and rpg systems work.
01-30-2014, 10:57 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Googol if you haven't played the Infinity Engine games, then you've missed out on some majorly amazing games. I recommend that you look them up.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
01-31-2014, 12:55 AM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

(01-30-2014, 07:40 PM)Googolplex Wrote: I hate to read words like "points" or "quests", because that always reminds me to play a game and totally breaks down immersion. These things only takes place in games, so there is no believable feeling when you read it there. The game formally presents itself as a game and not a serious experience. We should forget all thoughts to play a computer game and try to take it seriously. A game like this NEVER should be about points or something. What is a point? Who gives you a point? Points when you successfully steal something? That just feels like a bad designed game that fails to be immersing in any ways...

Formally I do agree with you totally. Yes, quests and points are ruining immersion. Points exceptionally in particular. But practically I believe that mementos at Amnesia series are quests too. Supposedly (maybe "hopefully" is a better word) quests at Thief will be exactly the same as mementos, just a bunch of diary alike notes in order not to forget to do something. For me personally that's fine. At least if quests themselves are good, interesting and carefully implemented into the story and imagery world of the game...

...By the way, you mentioned the Elder Scrolls, I do recommend to give that series a try, because quests there are similar to mementos, diary notes "not to forget". Extremely immersive game in general and in details. Well, that's my opinion, I do not insist I am right. Just recommending to give the Elder Scrolls series a try...

Back on a theme. Oh this fucking points. I suppose I just would eat that shitty gameplay element. It's not so critical for me personally. I would prefer if there were no points, just money, but... oookey.

As for me personally cutscenes are rather immersive breaking element. I do not like it now and surely I won't like it ingame. For me personally those tiny 3rd person movies-cutscenes are a lot more immersion ruining element than quests and points. Even in the very first Thief series games the Dark Project and the Metal Age I hated those comics in between missions when I had to become an observer. Well, I had to eat that and go on. Because the Thief game is bigger and better than quests, points and cutscenes. It's a story, characters and universe like nowhere else. Outstanding.

P.S. And do not make a mistake that I am kinda obsessed fan. Nope. I am fan of nothing. If that 2014 iteration of the Thief would be shitty I would throw it away without a single doubt. Similar to Silent Hill series which is stopped for me on the 4th iteration. Similar to many franchise (for another example I did love a lot and I still do love 1st and 2nd Call of Duty installments WWII oriented) which were nice until some point. So nope I am not a Thief series fan if you might think so, I do not want you to think that way 'bout my millions-of-words person.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2014, 01:16 AM by Alex Ros.)
01-31-2014, 01:08 AM
Website Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

Last post about Dark Souls:

I haven't played the game, but I watched a lot of videos and pictures and everything what I saw is not that kind of game I like.

The problem is that after I had played Gothic, which is the perfect designed game in my opinion, I always have to compare everything with it. And it seems like no other game can hold a candle there.

When you have always drank the best wine, everything else no longer tastes good.

It is probably wrong to compare your favorite game with everything else, but I have my expectations. And not everyone would be able to understand that.

(01-31-2014, 01:08 AM)Alex Ros Wrote: Formally I do agree with you totally. Yes, quests and points are ruining immersion. Points exceptionally in particular. But practically I believe that mementos at Amnesia series are quests too. Supposedly (maybe "hopefully" is a better word) quests at Thief will be exactly the same as mementos, just a bunch of diary alike notes in order not to forget to do something. For me personally that's fine. At least if quests themselves are good, interesting and carefully implemented into the story and imagery world of the game...

I don't have anything about quests, it's what RPGs are about. But I simply hate it to read this word in a game. We can call it "quests" out of the game, but never in-game!!! Because when you help someone in real life, is it a quest for you? No. I have no problem with "mementos" (when they are real mementos by the player and not like hints).

(01-31-2014, 01:08 AM)Alex Ros Wrote: ...By the way, you mentioned the Elder Scrolls, I do recommend to give that series a try, because quests there are similar to mementos, diary notes "not to forget". Extremely immersive game in general and in details. Well, that's my opinion, I do not insist I am right. Just recommending to give the Elder Scrolls series a try...

Yeah, I will play them soon. In german, and I don't know which word they're used for quests. In Gothic they called it "Aufträge" what means in english something like a job (to-do entry in a diary). But there are also other things I dislike in most games.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2014, 06:34 PM by Googolplex.)
01-31-2014, 06:21 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Semantics can hardly be the reason to dislike a game, can it? Isn't that being a bit picky? I mean, really now..

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2014, 09:00 PM by eliasfrost.)
01-31-2014, 09:00 PM
Find