Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Luis, 2008-07-31, "HPL Level Editor Milestone 2: (Static) Objects in Space"
Luis Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 19
Luis, 2008-07-31, "HPL Level Editor Milestone 2: (Static) Objects in Space"

Hi all. Did you miss me? Tongue I've been quite busy lately, so I haven't been that able to drop by, but here I am again to show some progress on the Level Editor.

The biggest change is that now you can add static objects (ie, stuff that isn't supposed to move around in the game, like walls, floors and so on).

It works like this: you pick a set from the selector, now pick an object from the list, and then place it on the grid.

Current features:
- Static object placement: can adjust scale, rotation and offset before placing. Also generates thumbnails of objects on loading the set.
- Grid system, you can choose between a XY, XZ and YZ grid plane, and modify height and snap separation.
- Wireframe and shaded rendering modes.
- Orthographic projection mode.
- Orbiting, panning and zooming camera.
- Undo/Redo system with configurable undo stack size.
- 4 fixed viewports layout, with viewport enlargement option.

They say "everybody loves screenshots", so here they come Smile
By the way, I only have boxes to play around at the moment. Nicer models will come in next updates I promise Tongue

Creating a box... (the one at the center was there from the beginning)
[Image: HPLLevelEditor20080609-1.png]

Creating some more boxes
[Image: HPLLevelEditor20080609-2.png]

New look for viewports (more eye friendly I must say)
[Image: HPLLevelEditor20080613.png]

That's it for now. More updates coming Smile

EOF
07-31-2008, 07:32 AM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70
RE: Luis, 2008-07-31, "HPL Level Editor Milestone 2: (Static) Objects in Space"

Lovely update; and what's that avatar from? Looks like a 70s show or something!

And now, your friendly neighborhood questions;
1: How varied will the wall selection be? Will it allow us to create unique styled rooms; or will any mods that strictly use the level editor to have the same style of geometry?
2:
Quote:he biggest change is that now you can add static objects (ie, stuff that isn't supposed to move around in the game, like walls, floors and so on).
How will floors work exactly? Will they be similar to walls (pick from a pre-determined selection) or will they be automated? Same goes for ceiling
3: Will there be vertices's/face manipulation? Will there be an option to increase the polies for each static object?
4: If you allow #4, will you include basic shapes? Square, cylinder, ect? With varying variables that control the polygons on each side, ect
5: What is the crowd this level editor is aimed at? Users who have rarely/never used a model editor, or users who are familiar with using one?
6: What will be the experience slope on this? Will there be options that newbies find useless, but experienced users find useful?
7: Will there be any cost-savers? Mainly with math equation (placement and duplication of objects, ect)

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
07-31-2008, 09:03 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Mmm, Cool. This similar to Valve Hammer Editor right? At least it sounds like it. Smile

Great Job Luis!

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
07-31-2008, 08:18 PM
Find
Luis Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 19

Hehe, thanks for the comments. Now for the answers.

@WindexGlow:
0. My avatar: Some spanish cartoon named Enjuto Mojamuto. Not really 70s Tongue.

1. Well, there will be some sets, cannot tell how many and how varied at this point, but they should be varied enough to keep any map from becoming boring. Of course you can add your own wall sets if you feel like getting your hands dirty.

2. They will be similar to walls.

3. Don't think so, the aim is to keep the editor as simple as possible.

4. Same as 3.

5. I'd say users who have rarely/never used a model editor, I mean, it should be quite simple to create a map.

6. Can't really tell at the moment, as there is no such thing as a complete feature list right now.

7. Right now there is some entity cloning tool, which can duplicate single entities and groups. This fits more in the next update, so I will not go into much detail now Smile As for the math equation thingy, I don't think I really got you, so if you please.. Smile

@nackidno: I haven't used Valve Hammer Editor, just checked it a bit, and I don't think it's gonna be that similar. I know these screenshots aren't really showing much, so I will aim to post some videos in future updates.

EOF
08-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Oh, I just assumed. Let's see how this turns out in the end then! Wink

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
08-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26

hmmm, wat game are these designs for?

Not an image
08-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

The editor will use HPL2 (penumbra uses plain ol hpl1)
The first game that will presumably use hpl2, is codenamed Lux Tenebras

Please -REP me.
08-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Some more suggestions;
-Allow objects to be grouped by either 'Destination Folder' or by 'Custom Folder' (a special pre-text in the model/texture file)
-Allow all models/textures/sounds used to be exported to a certain folder (this is great when modding, so we don't include textures we didn't use ourselves)
-Make portals very easy to use. This is one of the main hurdles I still have trouble with in my levels
-Perhaps an option that will 'mass-add' imports (dae) should you create a custom model type ('hplm' (HPL+M(model))as an example)
-A side-box that displays a selected model in 3-d form.
-Parmimiters that control a lights flicker freqeuncy (instead of having to make it as a custom entity)
-Simple check-boxes that control certain boolean properties of a model (casts shadow, collision, ect)
-4:
Quote: If you allow #4, will you include basic shapes? Square, cylinder, ect? With varying variables that control the polygons on each side, ect
Quote:3. Don't think so, the aim is to keep the editor as simple as possible.
4. Same as 3.
How will we do "Sounds" or "entry boxes" or even "collsion Boxes" than?

5:7:
Quote:Will there be any cost-savers? Mainly with math equation (placement and duplication of objects, ect)
Quote:As for the math equation thingy, I don't think I really got you, so if you please..
[hidden][Image: deletemedk5.jpg][/hidden]
The bars are supposed to look equal distance.
That is an example of a sewer I was making before my computer died. An example of the wire-holders (not the wire) might be;
Duplicate 5 times
I = duplication # + 1
X offset = 0
Y offset = (I x 10) x 3
Z Offset = (I x 10) x 2
That would be a really big time-saver on my part.
5: Ability to spawn anywhere, at anytime in the level. This would be purely for testing out puzzles that dont' relay on previous scripts to work.
6: A more flexable scripting process, or at least a better way to debug scripts.

Please -REP me.
09-21-2008, 05:27 AM
Find