Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What if Daniel had dissociative amnesia?
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74
What if Daniel had dissociative amnesia?

For those of you who haven't read psychology. Dissociative amnesia also known has psychogenic amnesia is a memory disorder characterized by sudden retrograde autobiographical memory loss.

What if Daniel got this instead of just memory loss? I know it doesn't add up with the story but what the hell, for the fun of it let's make up stories where Daniel doesn't go and kill Alexander, but instead completely forgets who he is and where he is.

I don't have a story yet, I'll make one up later.

Example: He becomes an australian cattle rustler.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2013, 10:56 PM by i3670.)
07-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Find
TiberiusBond Offline

Threads: 0
RE: What if Daniel had dissociative amnesia?

(07-22-2013, 10:51 PM)i3670 Wrote: Dissociative amnesia also known has psychogenic amnesia is a memory disorder characterized by sudden retrograde autobiographical memory loss.

These words. What.
[Image: GdI1j7f.gif]

[Image: V642RRt.gif]
07-22-2013, 11:17 PM
Find
Diz Offline

Threads: 4

Correct me if I am wrong, but my whole impression of the game is exactly this. Daniel does forget who he is, and he sure has no recollection of where he is. The only reason he still remembers his name and where he lives, from what I have gathered, is because he holds so strongly onto those basic facts, repeating it to himself only moments before collapsing. It may not even be that he knows that his own name is Daniel, but that it is a name he has in his head for some reason. I always felt that his mind perfectly reflects the gameplay, like, when we start the game, we hear him say Daniel, and shortly after, we wake up in the middle of nowhere with no knowledge about anything. Is this not an effect the game was trying to achieve?

Also, regarding hunting down Alexander, I am pretty sure that most of the motivation came from that letter. It may not even be that he wanted to do any harm to Alexander from that very moment, but Alexander was his only lead to, well, anything, and fleeing the castle at that point did not bring much success. For all we know, his true motivation to kill him came back to him after reading up on his own story and re-experiencing some things through flashbacks. ^^

Radidsh is my alternate name. Hungry for horror games? Check out my channel!
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2013, 11:24 PM by Diz.)
07-22-2013, 11:24 PM
Find
cantremember Offline

Threads: 29

Alexander could have given the potion to Daniel himself, and written fake "to self" notes outlining how Alexaznder is a great rock star and must be helped until the end.
07-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Find
AlexCarlson Offline

Threads: 4

(07-23-2013, 09:39 AM)cantremember Wrote: Alexander could have given the potion to Daniel himself, and written fake "to self" notes outlining how Alexaznder is a great rock star and must be helped until the end.

I laughed at the rock star bit.
07-23-2013, 02:52 PM
Website Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

(07-23-2013, 02:52 PM)alexcrlsn Wrote:
(07-23-2013, 09:39 AM)cantremember Wrote: Alexander could have given the potion to Daniel himself, and written fake "to self" notes outlining how Alexaznder is a great rock star and must be helped until the end.

I laughed at the rock star bit.

That would have been a nice plot twist.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
07-24-2013, 12:29 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

He was too busy being a floating, naked man.

[Image: p229xcq]
07-24-2013, 12:38 AM
Find
Sampyli Offline

Threads: 2

(07-24-2013, 12:38 AM)Chronocat Wrote:

Or maybe he was a big Red Hot Chili Peppers fan.
07-24-2013, 01:26 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(07-24-2013, 12:38 AM)Chronocat Wrote:

He's living the dream.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
07-24-2013, 09:25 PM
Find
Zixalf Offline

Threads: 2

I'm not sure if everyone is aware of this, but Daniel erased his own memory on purpose. So before drinking a potion to erase his memory (I think that's what the story tells you) he writes notes and instructions for himself to instruct him what he's supposed to do.
So if he had the kind of amnesia as described in this thread, his memory loss would have come unexpectedly and he wouldn't have written the notes which means he doesn't know who he is, doesn't know where he is and he has no clue what he's supposed to do. This would probably end up being his death and thus the end of the entire story (assuming deaths caused by the player in the actual game are pot twists that didn't happen in the actual story)
That is my point of view regarding this topic Smile

Hey, I am on YouTube! Please tell me what you think of my videos!
08-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Website Find