Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where is the effort overall when releasing CS or FC?
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 64
Where is the effort overall when releasing CS or FC?

Hello community again humi here talking some serious stuff...

I think this topic is repetive and sawed before, but anyways i want to give my opinion and then hear yours..

I mean I just played couple released mods on ModdB and what I sawed and played on gameplay it's just bland and overused thing again and again. Okay I get it it's old to use amnesia assets walls, textures same old stuff, but when you use it why players don't make any effort on it..

and my biggest problems is now why there is so many bland, empty maps? I mean where is the detailing on the maps, furniture, entitys, scripts, everything what amnesia maps should be and refreshing ideas to use those things to make things clever and never-seened before?

It's not that hard to make decent maps now because amnesia is getting old, but you should learn from your mistakes, but still there is so many boring, repetitive mods, repeating same stuff and putting no effort at all and I just don't mean Pewdiepie maps and all those kind of fan-maps. It's just frustrating to me and I think I have to stop playing those mods and focused only and PLAY only: "Mods with included custom stuff, unique and using originality, new stuff, never-seened before etc."

I want everyones opinion in here what you think about all this?
And don't answer stupidly like "Don't you get it? There are just retarded and don't want to make decent maps for this community.. blah blah..." all kind of these questions, just leave it.

Sorry again my crap english. Big Grin

Thanks to all. - Humi.

“Life is a game, play it”
08-14-2013, 03:57 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: Where is the effort overall when releasing CS or FC?

I think you're just looking into the wrong ones. Well-developed custom stories take much longer to create compared to the quick, less detailed ones, which is why you see less of the "good stuff". I suggest looking up Subconscious Trials by Kman. I've helped a bit on it and saw the quality of map design and it was pretty damn good. Don't average out the community based on some of the lower tier stories. There are plenty of great ones out there.
08-14-2013, 06:53 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

My opinion:

Short, and half facetious answer:

Replace GoAnimate with the custom story tools.

Longer answer:

The reason that I think there are so many "low quality" custom stories is largely owing to the fact that the custom story tools are incredibly easy to use, and produce working levels with. When someone picks it up they'll tinker around for a bit, and very quickly be able to make a working(?) level.

Most people, particularly ones who haven't fumbled around in video game development related tasks before, will at this moment be very excited that they created their own "video game". They'll feel very good about themselves running around in their very own level when in reality they've only scratched the surface of what making a good custom story demands. After this they'll be itching to take their "skills", and try to crank out whatever spontaneous idea they probably came up with, and show it to everyone as fast as they can because they're very excited to show off what they can do.

I'll be honest, I think the "excitement" phase is something that almost everyone who just learned how to use the tools will experience. The wise thing to do here though is to calm down, not be over-eager, and realize that there's much more to making a custom story than just randomly slapping together whatever you think looks nice.

As for my additional thoughts after this...refer to Statyk's post because he pretty much nailed t.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
08-14-2013, 08:23 AM
Find
LHudson Offline

Threads: 9

In comparison to late 2011, the scene has improved drastically. I remember the times when these fan maps were being pumped out by the 5's each day, to the point where I just stopped playing and making Amnesia content. Now that the scene has died down and left to those who want to make something terrifying (mostly).

It's going to be impossible to create something completely original given the tools most of us has access to, but if The Conjuring has taught me anything, it's that you can take a formulaic device and make it effective. Recently I played Death by Fear and A Slaves Masquerade, and I must say, there are some great stories coming over the horizon.

[Image: sigpic401029_1.gif]
08-14-2013, 10:21 AM
Find
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 64

Thanks guys for response, yeah Statyk and Kreekakon are right. Yeah I know Statyk Kman's WIP mod and it's looking really good so far, I mean that level design is something awesomeness so far and yeah I know these popular mods too and I love playing those, but I been playing over 400 custom stories I mean everyone almost, but now it's pointless.. even I just want to play those and help people where you have to improve, but I think that's pointless aswell because there are not listening and weeek after "BAM" here's the sequel i added couple things, nothing amazing but better than first one... I mean I heard this on ModdB comment forums too much the number is just ridicilous how many comments like these are there and really bad sequels..

Okay what I most liked are, Followed By Death chapters, Mental Memorial, Bitterwood Peak, White Night, Deterioration, Slave's masquade, Dark Case, The Dark Treasure - Credel Castle's Untold Story, The Call From Other Dimension, The Great Works and so on.. and there so many etc. good ones of course. But still I just want more of these, heh Smile

“Life is a game, play it”
08-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Find