Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Everybody's Gone To Rapture Announced
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176
RE: Everybody's Gone To Rapture Announced

I have never understood why people rage so much when they can't play a game because they don't own its platform.

[Image: p229xcq]
08-23-2013, 05:41 AM
Find
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2

Quote:So why not do it at some point?

There are a lot of possibilities behind that.

For one. Maybe Sony outright owns the rights to Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, now. We don't know if TCR retains the rights or not. If TCR does still own it, they're probably under contract in which it would be a timed exclusive or Sony just has full publishing rights. Who knows? If it would be timed exclusive, TCR definitely wouldn't be selling that fact this early on. Sony does want this as a marketing push for their system.

I'm bummed out about this, too. But I do think a lot of people are going too far with their hatred. There definitely are many, understandable reasons for TCR to go this route. If they wanted to make the game to the scale they imagined it, without needing to cut back due to lack of resources.

And, Chrono. As for why people would be annoyed. Exclusivity in general is a reasonable annoyance, I think. Hard to really enjoy the games medium with releases so fragmented and locked into first party hardware. Especially when this one was announced for the PC first, before this Sony deal.
08-23-2013, 05:54 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

(08-23-2013, 05:54 AM)Nyarlathotep Wrote: Exclusivity in general is a reasonable annoyance, I think. Hard to really enjoy the games medium with releases so fragmented and locked into first party hardware. Especially when this one was announced for the PC first, before this Sony deal.
Any time I wanted to play a game that was on a platform I didn't own, I would simply wait a few months (or year) and save up enough to buy it. As for those of you who say that you really can't afford the platform, then I honestly think buying games is not your primary concern.

I also think it's a bit naive to assume that developers are loyal, morally upright people who don't lie or go back on their word. When it comes to time and money, people do still have to think of themselves and their immediate family first. The only reason I can imagine for disliking TCR is if they didn't port to PC because they were lazy and not because of time or money restraints.

08-23-2013, 06:28 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(08-23-2013, 06:28 AM)Chronocat Wrote: As for those of you who say that you really can't afford the platform, then I honestly think buying games is not your primary concern.

Are you saying that unless someone can afford to buy an entirely new console for one game they must be living in poverty and thus have greater concerns? There's a subtle, grey area between starvation and being Bill Gates. It's the area in which you'd be out of your mind to spend £400+ on a piece of hardware to gain access to a single game. A game which, up until a few days ago, everyone on the planet assumed would be on the PC.
08-23-2013, 06:47 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

(08-23-2013, 06:47 AM)Paddy Wrote: There's a subtle, grey area between starvation and being Bill Gates. It's the area in which you'd be out of your mind to spend £400+ on a piece of hardware to gain access to a single game.
I get that buying a PS4 just to play one game can make people feel very ripped off. But if you really, really need to play the game, then I'm sure the enjoyment of playing it outweighs the feeling of being ripped off. That has always been my personal experience, and yes, I have bought a console just for one game before (FFX for PS2, back in 2003). Plus, it's not hard to find other good games for a console.

And if you want to play the game but don't really want to play it that much, which is the situation most people are probably in, then why complain? Let the devs do what they want and if they really made a bad decision, it'll show in the sales figures. Whining does not change anything.

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2013, 07:16 AM by Froge.)
08-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

Remember how Dark Souls was originally a console game, but over 90 000 people signed a petition for PC port? And PC version was made. Maybe something similar would work with Rapture?
08-23-2013, 07:29 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(08-23-2013, 07:13 AM)Chronocat Wrote: Whining does not change anything.

Ahhhh, one line fewer could have made your post enjoyable to read instead of needlessly inflammatory.

I think the main qualm I have with this deal is that the decision to scrap the PC version has less to do with practicality and more to do with Sony waving their chequebook in TCR's face saying "you can have the extra cash and support to create the game you want, but in exchange we decide who gets to play it". It's the arbitrariness of it. Disappointment caused by circumstance leaves a less shitty taste in one's mouth than disappointment caused by a marketing circle-jerk.

(08-23-2013, 07:29 AM)Deep One Wrote: Remember how Dark Souls was originally a console game, but over 90 000 people signed a petition for PC port? And PC version was made. Maybe something similar would work with Rapture?

I'd certainly sign it if one were created!
08-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Find
pinkribbonscars Offline

Threads: 0

(08-23-2013, 05:41 AM)Chronocat Wrote: I have never understood why people rage so much when they can't play a game because they don't own its platform.

I agree, but in this case there was no need for it to be exclusive. They didn't even try create a kickstarter campaign. That's what annoys me the most. And I don't plan to buy a PS4 at launch, so why should I have to wait until I buy a PS4 when I could have played it at launch on my PC?
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2013, 08:30 AM by pinkribbonscars.)
08-23-2013, 08:28 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

PS4 Emulator! FTW!!

Hopefully they'll release this.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
08-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

Ya'll motherfuckas need to chillax, you guys are seriously giving up on TCR because they are releasing a ps4 exclusive game you haven't even seen gameplay of(Barely).

You're acting like it's the end of the world

Spoiler below!
See what I did there? Big Grin ahaha. Haha...Ha...*Sigh* :c
08-23-2013, 08:43 AM
Find