Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Story Preference:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Developed Story
62.75%
32 62.75%
Jumpscares
3.92%
2 3.92%
Balanced Mix
33.33%
17 33.33%
Total 51 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What kind of custom story do you prefer?
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Threads: 73
RE: What kind of custom story do you prefer?

Voted : Balanced.
Why? : Cause the game MUST have some immerce \ story and HAS to creep the player out!
Like F.E.A.R the immerce was the best EVER seen! Then jumpscares here and there!
That let's the player ALWAYS on the edge of their chairs..
When does something show up, when will something pop around the corner, etcetc!!
---
On the other hands i LOVE story's as well!
Like Resident Evil , Silent Hill , F.e.a.r , Final Fantasy , Amnesia! etc etc..
They give you a story adn pull the players into it.
That is another feel \ scare of gameplay that i love!
---
So overall, i think those 2 combined = MASTERPIECE!
Lange
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2013, 01:01 PM by DnALANGE.)
07-19-2013, 01:00 PM
Find
Glue Factory Offline

Threads: 0

Stories that build up the atmosphere so well that I think there's a horrible monster behind every door and also one's that creep the player out by forcing him to go through creepy and eery places. One's that make the player feel out of his/her comfort zone. There's not too many of these stories though unfortunately.

I do like the occasional jump scare story but I really love the atmospheric ones. A good story is nice as well.
07-24-2013, 03:55 AM
Find
hsweezy Offline

Threads: 1

(07-12-2013, 03:02 AM)Alex Ros Wrote: Well-developed story with space, architecture, matching the mood of the story. Ideally, if the story and genre allows that, if details of the story can be understood by just looking around, without notes. Proper buid up of the story, not too fast, not slow boring. No Amnesia puzzles similarities, just got tired of the same combinatins of the crowbar, acid, hummer, etc. And no Silent Hill stylistic similarities around! But last two recommendations are personal, subjective.
You've spilled the words right outta my mouth. Of course I prefer a Well developed story. I also like to see creative new puzzles like the ones in penumbra and the original amnesia. I can't stand jumpscares though
08-05-2013, 07:04 AM
Find
LHudson Offline

Threads: 9

Personally it depends on wether they are heading for an atmospheric experience or a stylish experience, since that overall vision will affects the establishment, item placement, level design, monsters, and atmosphere.

So long as the walls and entities are well placed and there isn't any glaring visual problems.

[Image: sigpic401029_1.gif]
08-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Find
Strembitsky Offline

Threads: 37

I definitely prefer custom stories that whilst playing you're constantly thinking about how unique it is, until something happens in the story that yet again blows your mind. You are constantly thinking how incredible what you're playing is and it never lets you down. The type of story that keeps you asking for more. Simply incredible.

However, I do like stories that surprise you in such a way that you don't expect much, but it really impresses you and once finished the player stays thinking about it afterwards. Stories that stick with you are astonishing in my eyes.

(Side note: Hi, my name is Strembitsky and you may remember me as the guy that thought of a great custom story that impressed many people just by the announcement post, and then disappointed them all because I stopped making it. Yeah, that's me. I'm back on these forums after about a year long hiatus because I'm a lazy prick and I lost motivation. Anyways, I just pre-ordered Machine for Pigs on Steam and I'm excited. Oh boy.)

The Nightmares v1.0 - Dreadful Fires WIP
08-18-2013, 11:51 PM
Find
AmnesiaFreak Offline

Threads: 3

I would say mixed...

Good story, good jumpscares Big Grin
08-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Find
Area 72 Offline

Threads: 1

Anything with a good story, good design, good scares, and not a total conversion mod.
08-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

[Image: 2ppbfoo.jpg]

You can't just say either story, or jumpscares, or both.
IMO, that's not how it works.

First you create your story. There's no reason to think: "Story? Nah that doesn't matter", because it does in any storylined game.

Then you will think of the technic part. The scares. And you bring up jumpscares first? Bad idea.
Tensions is the first think you want to build. And you must work with this. Then you'd want to release the tension. Now, you can do that with a jumpscare. But this jumpscare should be defined as a minor jumpscare. A little one. Then you build tensions again and release it. Don't use jumpscare now, because you used it last time.
Always variate!

And for the big scare? Do NOT use a jumpscare here! This should be something where you keep being scared for a minute, fx a monster hunting you.

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2013, 11:08 AM by FlawlessHappiness.)
08-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Find
ThoseRandomGuyz Offline

Threads: 2

Based off of my personal preference, I said mixed. HOWEVER, I will always lean toward a greater story rather than jumpscares. Why? Because a story is what makes a game scary, while jumpscares merely add adrenaline.

Perfect example: I am not scared of scary movies. However, most have jumpscares, and I do flinch (I do not see a way in which one would not), but I am not scared. I'm just startled.

That's why you have to have a compelling and terrifying story with build-up and suspense. That is what makes a game scary. Jumpscares should be used for fillers, to keep players at the edge of their seat. However, they must be used very carefully. A lot of stories nowadays have these scares in abundance, which is incorrect in execution. Instead, they should be used very rarely, and serving the purpose of keeping the player's heart beating quickly. They should be used to keep the players interest in long build-ups. That's it. Story=scary, jumpscare=keeping attention. I think that sums up my opinion fairly well.

I will review all of your custom stories (when I find time!)!
08-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Find