Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Duration Amnesia A Machine For Pigs!
Tillion Magnet Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Duration Amnesia A Machine For Pigs!

If it really is 5-6 hours I can see criticism of the game length being a common thing among reviews of AMFP. Yes, it's good for a game to not go on longer than it needs to, but still. At least on the face of it this seems too short to me. Of course I haven't played the game yet, so maybe I won't mind it in the playing. We'll see.
08-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Find
XDamienDaKillaX Offline

Threads: 2

(08-29-2013, 06:20 PM)bluel0bster Wrote:
(08-29-2013, 07:07 AM)XDamienDaKillaX Wrote: 5-6 Hours is definitely not a short time for a 20$ game. There are 60$ games nowadays that are that length.

Really? Name one. I've never heard of a $60 game that only has 5-6 hours, except for some extremely obvious cash grabs like damn movie-game adaptions.

True. Most of those movie adaptation games are very short. I played Red Faction: Armageddon and beat it in 4:30 on my first playthrough, as an example of a non movie based game.

A lot of people are saying that length doesn't make a game good, which is true. To me, the cost should agree with the length, in terms of games like AMFP. It definitely will be an awesome game, but if I paid 60$ for it (Which, honestly, I would pay that amount just because its Amnesia), I would leave feeling satisfied with the game, but also feel strange due to the fact it is that much money for a 5 or 6 hour game. There is no reason people should really worry about the length, though, since this is the second full Amnesia game, there is almost no doubt that it will be great.
08-29-2013, 08:50 PM
Find
Derxor Offline

Threads: 1

I payed about 50 euros / 60 dollars for CoD WaW the day it came out on a friday and completed it on Sunday morning.... It took me about a month to finish amnesia, and it would have been more if I hadn't played douring the day because I was to afraid to play at night (just douring some scary parts, but that's another topic)

My youtube channel where I do some guitar covers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC84Ttln...muSOA0bFHA
08-29-2013, 08:55 PM
Website Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

At least, with a 5 hour-game, I will feel less depressed when I finish it. I remember that when I finished TDD (9-10 hours) or Far Cry 3 (40 hours with all the quests/exploring/etc), I felt pretty bad Smile
08-29-2013, 11:31 PM
Find
maarten12100 Offline

Threads: 0

(08-29-2013, 07:58 PM)droog Wrote:
(08-29-2013, 07:31 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(08-29-2013, 01:23 PM)Vonicon Wrote: A good horror game can't be very long.

There is a line, which you should not cross, or else, you get "used" to the horror and it looses its effect.

I prefer 5 hours of pure terror more, than 10 hours of bored walking around.

How wrong it is. The Penumbra collection (yes, I see Penumbra as one game) is about 13 hours long. Silent Hill is 11 hours long for each game. Amnesia is 10 hours long. I think 5-6 hours are really too short. You can copmplete it in one single day, and you waited 2 years long!

A good horror game should be longer than 10 hours to get a long experience as possible. They could add more/trickier puzzles to let you take more time. Without enhancing the story or environments!

That's really disappointing to hear.

Why don't you see Amnesia TDD + AMFP now as one game? Now it's about 15 hours long !
They aren't continuation well Requim wasn't much of a continuation but you get my point.

Googlolplex 5-6 hours took 2 years but how much time did the entire penumbra line up take Tongue
08-29-2013, 11:55 PM
Find
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35

(08-29-2013, 06:20 PM)bluel0bster Wrote:
(08-29-2013, 07:07 AM)XDamienDaKillaX Wrote: 5-6 Hours is definitely not a short time for a 20$ game. There are 60$ games nowadays that are that length.

Really? Name one. I've never heard of a $60 game that only has 5-6 hours, except for some extremely obvious cash grabs like damn movie-game adaptions.

Deadpool. It costs $60 on Xbox 360 and PS3 (only $40 on PC for some reason). Only took me a mere 5 hours to beat it.

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2013, 07:04 AM by RawkBandMan.)
08-30-2013, 07:03 AM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(08-29-2013, 07:58 PM)droog Wrote: Why don't you see Amnesia TDD + AMFP now as one game? Now it's about 15 hours long !

Only games with same story can be seen as "one" game.
AAMFP is not the successor of TDD, it's a completely different game and has nothing todo with any other Amnesia game. Penumbra has one story, Black Plague begins where Overture ended and Requiem begins where Black Plague ended. All three episodes are one story.

I just think that 5 hours for a game is too short, it's like you'll play TDD just to the cells. It's only a half game and a shame that a brillant game like this is completed after some little hours. I had expect more rooms/locations, puzzles and brain thinking stuff. OK, I actually don't know how hard the puzzles are, but they can't be really thoughtful when the full game is completed in a short time.

AAMFP should not be shorter than TDD.

(08-29-2013, 08:50 PM)XDamienDaKillaX Wrote: True. Most of those movie adaptation games are very short. I played Red Faction: Armageddon and beat it in 4:30 on my first playthrough, as an example of a non movie based game.

Wrong. You can't compare it to Call of Dity's or Battlefield's singleplayer mode. You also shouldn't compare it to Gothic or Skyrim's duration, because such RPGs are more than 100 hours long!

But I think as longer a game is, as more experience it is. Of course you shouldn't stretch the story, but there should just be more content to make it longer. Justine is about 2 hours long, that's OK for a short expansion, but a full horror game should be at least 10 hours long.

And a long game doesn't automatically mean less impact.

(08-29-2013, 11:55 PM)maarten12100 Wrote: Googlolplex 5-6 hours took 2 years but how much time did the entire penumbra line up take Tongue

6 months for Overture, 9 months for Black Plague, and 4 months for Requiem? And you should know FG were only 4 people at this time.
Well the development of the engine tooks a lot of time and the Tech Demo, but Amnesia is also just a build-up of the Penumbra engine, not something "new".
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2013, 03:12 PM by Googolplex.)
08-30-2013, 02:59 PM
Find
Ossie Offline

Threads: 8

(08-30-2013, 02:59 PM)Googolplex Wrote: And a long game doesn't automatically mean less impact.

Or, for that matter, more impact .........

Not sure why so many people are fixated on the length of the game - I've played a number of games that lasted an hour or two and appreciated them far more than those which have stretched out for 10 hours or more. The same goes for many books, movies, albums and album tracks, etc.

Ultimately it's all down to the quality of the narrative and the emotional experience, not the length.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2013, 03:22 PM by Ossie.)
08-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(08-30-2013, 03:15 PM)Ossie Wrote: Not sure why so many people are fixated on the length of the game - I've played a number of games that lasted an hour or two and appreciated them far more than those which have stretched out for 10 hours or more. The same goes for many books, movies, albums and album tracks, etc.

Ultimately it's all down to the quality of the narrative and the emotional experience, not the length.

Don't think to "stretch" a game. I totally understand, that it is bad for a game to stretch is just to make it longer. But there are some really good games longer than 100 hours without to be stretched!

When people are talking about the length, nobody means a stretched game, we all are about full-time fascination without to get boring.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2013, 03:56 PM by Googolplex.)
08-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Find
Zgroktar Offline

Threads: 1

You can only judge if the game is too long or too short after you have finished it, right now this is nothing more than pointless speculation.
08-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Find