Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
Less Interactivity than before?
samueljustice00 Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 2
RE: Less Interactivity than before?

(09-03-2013, 09:26 PM)TwiK999 Wrote:
(09-03-2013, 05:54 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(09-03-2013, 05:08 PM)TwiK999 Wrote: Hear Hear. I trust FG, therefore I trust TCR. I think it's good that they brought TCR into the Amnesia world, it brings fresh new ideas. We don't want a new game that is too much like TDD, but then again, not one thats completely different, we want a mix of both. I trust that we will have the Amnesia we all know and love, but with differences for the better.

In my long experience of gaming I noticed that "new ideas" often ended up to "bad ideas". Instead to keep the good way on, developers often wanted to create some "fresh" and that annoyed the fans of the franchise.

Good games are good, because they are as they are. I don't see any sense to change the concept.

Less puzzles, less interaction, short duration - where are the new ideas? This more looks like they rip off all good ideas. A game can have an excellent story and good at horror, but for an experience I need more than just a good story. I want puzzles and other work to do.

I agree with you. An example of fresh ideas that didn't work is Bioshock 2. The first game was fantastic, then 2k marin took on the sequel instead of Irrational and it didn't turn out so well.

Fresh ideas can be good or bad and I guess we will have to wait till the game is out to judge.
I must admit that I am still a little disappointed that there will be no inventory in AMFP, which was a key aspect of TDD and without it in AMFP I'm not quite sure how it will differ.
I very much disagree with you there. Bioshock 2 was a much better game than the first. The gunplay was vastly improved, the story had many more layers and the world was much more realized as it was using a lot of assets that were cut from the original due to time. Also they had no stupid bosses.

The problem with BS2 was the way it was marketed and also the fact that one trip to Rapture was more than enough.

Audio Lead - Frictional Games
09-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Find
DavidS Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 4

(09-03-2013, 09:57 PM)samueljustice00 Wrote: I very much disagree with you there. Bioshock 2 was a much better game than the first. The gunplay was vastly improved, the story had many more layers and the world was much more realized as it was using a lot of assets that were cut from the original due to time. Also they had no stupid bosses.

The problem with BS2 was the way it was marketed and also the fact that one trip to Rapture was more than enough.

And I thought I was the only one favoring the second Bioshock. Smile

/////////////////////////////////////
09-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Website Find
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2

I definitely don't subscribe to "New=Bad". That's just close minded thinking. I love Penumbra, but in no way do I find it to be the better overall experience. And I would not be surprised to find myself enjoying Pigs over The Dark Descent - based on what I've heard and seen of it.

As for BioShock 2. I definitely agree on its world being a bit more interesting. And the story is painfully over-hated, though I'm not sure I'd place it above the original. Minerva's Den, on the other hand..

Though, as a counter to this. I still honestly prefer System Shock 2 over any of the BioShocks. I'd hate to sound like a purist, considering I actually played it after the first BioShock. But something about it, just, felt like it handled storytelling and setting better all around. The increased amount of arcadey shooter elements in the BioShock series kind of chips away on that, for me.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2013, 10:30 PM by Nyarlathotep.)
09-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Find
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15

I couldn't relate to Bioshock 2's character at all and didn't like it, so I quickly lost interest. Otherwise good game though.

09-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Find
TwiK999 Offline

Threads: 5

I'm not saying that Bioshock 2 was bad, I'm just saying that it didn't live up to its predecessor.

The things I didn't like about BS2 were:

-I felt Sofia Lamb wasn't a very good antagonist, compared to Ryan or Fontaine I mean.

-I personally felt that the combat was repetitive. Bioshock had a more of a less predictable feel to the combat. The "Boss" fights I didn't really mind, because they weren't terribly hard to defeat. For example, you can electro bolt, then shotgun Dr Steinman and he dies straight away. I rather enjoyed the boss fight at the end aswell.

- I disliked the brute splicers and felt they were OP, even on easy difficulty.

Bioshock 2 is a good game, don't get me wrong, but it just didn't live up to the first game in my opinion.
I loved Minerva's Den and had great fun with the Multiplayer when it had its day.
In Bioshock, the darkness and atmosphere made you feel alone and really immersed well, I felt it just didn't do it as well in the 2nd.

Steam ID: Yazite

Xbox Gamertag: Yazite
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2013, 09:46 AM by TwiK999.)
09-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Find
Lewk Offline

Threads: 6

(09-03-2013, 06:56 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(09-03-2013, 06:14 PM)Zgroktar Wrote: and there isn't anything particularly intelligent about it if you examine it closely, just a bunch of very primitive gameplay mechanics.

This is why I want harder puzzles.

well, why don't you go play the custom stories then? If you like puzzles that are more retardedly difficult than usual, or if you prefer things in general to be more retarded. Why don't you download the amnesia guns mod? I'm sure that would satisfy your tastes without ruining the important games for everyone else. I'm sure you'd like Outlast, why don't you go play that?

also, I think what you're looking for is the AAA game franchises. You'd enjoy Call of Duty, they never change anything!
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2013, 07:19 PM by Lewk.)
09-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Telling Googol he'd like Outlast? And that a gun mod in a horror game might suit him? How often do you come on here? lol
09-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Find
Lewk Offline

Threads: 6

(09-05-2013, 07:19 PM)Statyk Wrote: Telling Googol he'd like Outlast? And that a gun mod in a horror game might suit him? How often do you come on here? lol

I don't know, it just seems like he would be quirky enough to like that STUFF, you know?
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2013, 07:21 PM by Lewk.)
09-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(09-05-2013, 07:20 PM)Lewk Wrote: I don't know, it just seems like he would be quirky enough to like that STUFF, you know?

No.Tongue
09-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

Fear of change is annoying. Will say that much and leave it there.

And the inventory systems in Frictional Games haven't been that important to me.

Think about it. You usually had a few items on your person at all times that were only useful at specific times and then the oil and health replenishing items.

When I read that A:AMFP had no inventory my reaction was one of the weakest and laziest shrug i've ever done in my life. It's like ''whoop de do, ok?"

I am interested to see how they deal with (if at all) the puzzles that require multiple items and the combination of specific items.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2013, 08:13 PM by Cuyir.)
09-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Find