Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
A:AMFP [Soundtrack Preorder]
TuBBe Offline

Threads: 0
RE: A:AMFP [Soundtrack Preorder]

Any idea why the composer was changed from TDD? Mikko Tarmia really outdid himself with TDD, as everyone knows. It was awesome, and i still listen some of the songs every now and then. Seems just so risky to go with new composer...Seems like they are changing the game too much to my taste, no inventory etc.
09-05-2013, 09:54 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

I'm not exactly sure why, but AMFP wasn't made by Frictional Games, only published. Maybe TCR wanted to hire someone different for their music.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2013, 10:20 PM by Statyk.)
09-05-2013, 10:20 PM
Find
Potato Offline

Threads: 10

(09-05-2013, 09:54 PM)TuBBe Wrote: Any idea why the composer was changed from TDD? Mikko Tarmia really outdid himself with TDD, as everyone knows. It was awesome, and i still listen some of the songs every now and then.
I think the reason they went with Jessica was that she was perfectly capable of creating a soundtrack for the game, and it makes sense they went with her, than reaching out to Tarnia, who they probably aren't acquainted with.

(09-05-2013, 09:54 PM)TuBBe Wrote: Seems just so risky to go with new composer...Seems like they are changing the game too much to my taste, no inventory etc.
I wouldn't start complaining about the composer yet, the game isn't even publicly released. It seems like this is just complaining for the sake of complaining, it's different from their choices with the inventory and object interaction.

[Image: o8JPTkt.jpg]
upsilon floorbot is a qt pa2t
09-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Find
Ossie Offline

Threads: 8

(09-05-2013, 10:20 PM)Statyk Wrote: I'm not exactly sure why, but AMFP wasn't made by Frictional Games, only published. Maybe TCR wanted to hire someone different for their music.

Jessica is an excellent composer and a great choice - you won't be disappointed. Jessica works for The Chinese Room and composed the music for Dear Esther (for which her music won quite a number of awards). Smile

Frictional wanted to move onto their next game and after some meetings with Dan Pinchbeck of TCR it was decided that AAMFP was to be developed by The Chinese Room with a good exchange of ideas with Frictional Games (who also oversaw the project and advised as required - there's plenty of interviews around which delve into this in far greater detail).
09-05-2013, 10:37 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

Personally, I like that A Machine For Pigs differentiates itself stylistically from its predecessor. Sequels should seek to improve on prior entries rather than imitate them.

I wonder if the "Alert" theme is part of the soundtrack, or if we'd have to dig into the game folders to extract that...
09-06-2013, 02:19 AM
Find
summit Offline

Threads: 20

Oh My GOD!

Listen these ones (by Jessica Curry):
Mandus
A Machine for Pigs

09-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Find
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2

(09-05-2013, 10:20 PM)Statyk Wrote: I'm not exactly sure why, but AMFP wasn't made by Frictional Games, only published. Maybe TCR wanted to hire someone different for their music.

Yeah as it's already been pointed out - Jessica Curry is already part of The Chinese Room. Both co-director/founder and composer. Only makes sense for her to do the music for this game.

And I'm glad that's the case. I do enjoy the music from the first Amnesia. But her work stands out to me, much more. Still a huge fan of the soundtracks from Dear Esther and the mod, Korsakovia.
09-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Find
pinkribbonscars Offline

Dear Esthers soundtrack is awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y74SDuejOoE

So many chills while walking up that hill area ^^

(09-06-2013, 08:41 AM)Arbies Wrote: Oh My GOD!

Listen these ones (by Jessica Curry):
Mandus
A Machine for Pigs

"This world is a machine, a machine for pigs! Fit only for the slaughtering of pigs!"

The writing, oh god the writing, and the voice acting, and the music, it's going to be so amazing ; -;
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2013, 10:09 AM by pinkribbonscars.)
09-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Find
BigBoss Offline

(09-04-2013, 10:50 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(09-04-2013, 10:05 PM)Alardem Wrote:
(09-04-2013, 09:30 PM)Bridge Wrote: I don't mean to be a debbie downer here since everyone seems to be loving it so much but I just feel that it is poor all around. Even if there are some interesting ideas the tracks are so monotone that any effect that might be attained is lost. I find the textures to be uninteresting, no interesting rhythmic ideas, harmony you can see coming from a mile away, you name it. Although I do appreciate the use of glass harmonica which is a rare occurrence in scores, especially video games scores, the orchestration in general I find to be boring. Also, I'm not sure if Jessica intended for the pedal to be used in such a violent way in Mandus but it sounds ridiculous to anyone who knows what good pedaling sounds like. Even if it was intentional, it is of such poor effect I have to call her judgement into question.

Pretty extreme to call her work boring/uninteresting/ridiculous/monotone/questionable/poor, innit? Just because it doesn't fit your taste doesn't make it terrible.

Would you have preferred it if I had strewn about IMOs and I thinks to feign tact? Of course everything I said is just my opinion and you are free to disregard it, but I am allowed to express my opinion in a more elaborate way than "I like it" or "I don't like it". I told you what I dislike about it, now either come up with a rebuttal or take a moment to quietly reflect.

(09-04-2013, 10:47 PM)XDamienDaKillaX Wrote:
(09-04-2013, 09:30 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(09-04-2013, 08:29 PM)Paddy Wrote: @Bridge: what do you think it was about the soundtrack that didn't appeal to you?

I don't mean to be a debbie downer here since everyone seems to be loving it so much but I just feel that it is poor all around. Even if there are some interesting ideas the tracks are so monotone that any effect that might be attained is lost. I find the textures to be uninteresting, no interesting rhythmic ideas, harmony you can see coming from a mile away, you name it. Although I do appreciate the use of glass harmonica which is a rare occurrence in scores, especially video games scores, the orchestration in general I find to be boring. Also, I'm not sure if Jessica intended for the pedal to be used in such a violent way in Mandus but it sounds ridiculous to anyone who knows what good pedaling sounds like. Even if it was intentional, it is of such poor effect I have to call her judgement into question.
You have to realize this is a soundtrack for a horror game. It is meant to fit into the atmosphere, and I can agree that some tracks do sound boring listening to it simply staring at a monitor, but I bet that in-game the tracks will have a much different effect on you.

That has nothing to do with it. While I don't think the score to Amnesia is great, that has a lot of very interesting things going on in it.
Bridge, I totally agree with your opinion.
But lets not be to fast with judging.
I think the most of us know how disappointing previews can be, and even I got disappointed from this 4-5 pieces, because i loved the arrangements from Mikko Tarmia, they just fit perfect to the Penumbra games and Amnesia.
The atmosphere was just perfect, you're right with the missing rhythms but lets wait maybe we will get a total surprise who knows.
I became sad when i first read that Mikko Tarmia wasn't going to be involved in this game, so i have my doubts since then.
We didnt hear even 1/4 from the soundtrack, so lets just be excited until then, i'll just hope that there will be some kind of chasemusic which will rip your a.. off.
Just take this masterexample of chase music from Mikko Tarmia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndwRvLnpphw
Isn't that genius ? ....btw sorry im german if my english sucks a little bit but i try to manage Big Grin

In addition i wish the best for Jessica Curry and i hope she did a good job.
But i nearly laughed when i heard "Mandus" andits so paradox because i watched yesterday The Truman Show (genius) and the harmonies were nearly identical to this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjvspeLgeww
and i was just like wtf..... but just a dumb coincidence.....
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2013, 02:35 PM by BigBoss.)
09-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Find
The Raining Brains Offline

It doesn't sound quite as dark or as hauntingly brooding as I was hoping, but I think that may just be because that aspect of the soundtrack corresponds to parts of the game they do not want to ruin for us. They're just sticking with the safe ones for now.

I can understand Bridge's disappointment but I think it would be wiser to reserve judgement until we've heard more of it. In context too.

I do love "Lifting the Veil". I look forward to hearing more along those sort of lines.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2013, 03:01 PM by The Raining Brains.)
09-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Find