Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Improve the game?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hell yeah!
20.83%
20 20.83%
Nah lets forget about the game..
29.17%
28 29.17%
No, it's fine the way it is! (added by pluto)
50.00%
48 50.00%
Total 96 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 52 Vote(s) - 2.46 Average
Disappointed with AAMFP
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17
RE: Amnesia: AMFP is underwhelming (minor spoilers)

I'd like to see this speedrun...
09-12-2013, 09:28 AM
Find
cantremember Offline

Threads: 29

I wonder how long the speedrun will be, I'm guessing 20 minutes, maybe 30.
09-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-12-2013, 09:31 AM)cantremember Wrote: I wonder how long the speedrun will be, I'm guessing 20 minutes, maybe 30.

Dear Esther in 19:44 minutes.
09-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Find
Tesseract Offline

Threads: 7

It seems the complaints about this game revolve around the most extraneous and diminutive aspects that have been removed or changed since TDD.

TCR told us what they had removed a long time before the game was released and everyone seems to have this attitude as though they have only just realized the small changes that were made.

If I remember correctly TDD wasn't about throwing inanimate objects around or having an inventory. It was a game that allowed the player to create their own fear, other than that it's completely story driven too, the story is the biggest part of this game, the fear is induced by the story and atmosphere. Picking up objects and going into your inventory was a completely different part of the game, I thought it was quite obvious why it was removed and in Bluelobster's post he goes over that.

If the game is bad based on the premise that it doesn't as much interactivity and you can't fill your lantern (which from memory the game explains why,) or you have no inventory then I think you have missed the point. Concerning yourself over what is missing or what you're used to and then convincing yourself that it's a bad game because it's different will probably make the game less scary because you're too busy comparing two completely different games and not paying attention to the thought provoking story and terrifying atmosphere.
09-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Find
The Raining Brains Offline

Threads: 0

Not all of us are basing our complaints on that.
09-12-2013, 10:09 AM
Find
cantremember Offline

Threads: 29

(09-12-2013, 09:56 AM)Delirium92 Wrote: It seems the complaints about this game revolve around the most extraneous and diminutive aspects that have been removed or changed since TDD.

(09-12-2013, 09:56 AM)Delirium92 Wrote: If I remember correctly TDD wasn't about throwing inanimate objects around or having an inventory.

Searching for tinderboxes in the dark and using the physics engine to move the boxes or closer doors was part of the gameplay, aswell as solving puzzles. Since you don't kill monsters and for a large portion of the game there are no monsters I wouldn't call this "extraneous and diminuitive".

Without these, the gameplay now just consists of walking around and pulling handles to open passageways. Without inventory the puzzles have become very simple too.
Now it's only about being scared to meet a monster, gameplay-wise. The story is very good but the gameplay is very much lacking and unoriginal. (what's original about a mansion and pulling handles and replacing broken fuse).

But yes, the game is good if you don't compare it to its predecessor. It does have a good story. It does have some scary moments, but it's not as good as Amnesia. Without the physics or anything to touch, the game seems a lot more primitive and outdated too.
09-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Find
SurvivalHorror Offline

Threads: 0

The game seemed to be created in order to put the story forward in the most simplistic way possible, evidenced by the linearity of the game. This was done to little effect as there was no shocking revelation which really surprised anyone.linear gameplay linear story. It seemed to fear implementing anything resembling a thought provoking puzzle for fear the player would not progress. Basically, it was a dumbed down interactive novel which lent the reputation from the first to sell itself.The fact that it pretended to be something it wasn't noncommittally and half heartedly was disappointing. Dear Esther 2 or A machine for pigs would have been more apt. It's affiliation with amnesia was exploitative and has tarnished the great work of the first game. Which revolutionized the survival horror genre. But I could see it as a success if TCR had published it without the affiliation with amnesia in a different genre which it really belonged to.n
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 12:58 PM by SurvivalHorror.)
09-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Find
Tesseract Offline

Threads: 7

(09-12-2013, 10:21 AM)cantremember Wrote: Without these, the gameplay now just consists of walking around and pulling handles to open passageways.

That's basically what TDD was, you only need these physics when it's necessary to solve puzzles. Why do we need tinderboxes when everything is pretty much running on electricity?

Quote:Without inventory the puzzles have become very simple too.
Now it's only about being scared to meet a monster, gameplay-wise. The story is very good but the gameplay is very much lacking and unoriginal. (what's original about a mansion and pulling handles and replacing broken fuse).

Prior to release TCR mentioned that it isn't puzzle driven, it's driven by its story. In TDD the monsters were to be feared, in this the monsters are to be feared but in between encounters you create your own fear much like TDD. You're going over extraneous points: "what's original about a mansion and pulling handles and replacing broken fuse" that's not the point, you're only replacing fuses to continue with the story, I don't understand why a mansion is unoriginal, it's the players house, did you not find it at all disturbing the secret walls leading to blood stained engine rooms? I certainly felt uneasy in that mansion.

Quote:But it's not as good as Amnesia. Without the physics or anything to touch, the game seems a lot more primitive and outdated too.

No it's not as 'good' as TDD it's different. They're different games with similarities. If you had never played TDD and first played AMFP you wouldn't be considering the whole collecting of tinderboxes that you hardly use or having to refill your lantern or interacting with all of the inanimate objects in the game. You also wouldn't be saying it seems outdated, all of these complaints are based on what you're used to.

Personally I play games to be immersed and to enjoy the story; to escape reality and take one the role of the protagonist and I think AMFP was very well executed. Tinderboxes, puzzles, lantern refills, interaction and what not was not the point of the game.
09-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Find
Darkchef Offline

Threads: 8

For people saying it's story based please don't lie to yourselves, it wasn't scary... end of story. Sure the story was interesting enough but I expected this to be horror and TCR said it was horror but it really wasn't horror at all...
09-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Website Find
JarrodTheBobo Offline

Threads: 2

(09-12-2013, 12:29 PM)Darkchef Wrote: For people saying it's story based please don't lie to yourselves, it wasn't scary... end of story. Sure the story was interesting enough but I expected this to be horror and TCR said it was horror but it really wasn't horror at all...

^Agreed.

There seriously wasn't a single moment when ah felt unnerved or scared in AMFP. It was just a giant interactive novel (and a not so great one at that), which was a dumbed down version of TDD. It was a waste of 3 years.
09-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Find