Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 21 Vote(s) - 4.62 Average
Stuttering, Small freezes and framerate Issues
Woopzilla Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 10 Years, 3 Months ago RE: Stuttering, Small freezes and framerate Issues

In an effort to 'record' the problem I've made this video (but in video form it doesn't look as bad as it feels when playing) - And yea, warning, very minor 'spoilers' since its a little into the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m9umlnVEwc

They are basically small jolts/freezes just as the sound starts playing.

I've tried the patches but this problem persists. The only thing that smoothens it out was the 'Stream=True' fix but that of course has some downsides as stated.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 02:53 PM by Woopzilla.)
09-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Find
nebej Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 8
Solved: 10 Years, 3 Months ago RE: Stuttering, Small freezes and framerate Issues

What are your hardware specs, hdd type and operating system Woopzilla?
09-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Find
jdw5000 Offline

(09-12-2013, 02:50 PM)Woopzilla Wrote: In an effort to 'record' the problem I've made this video (but in video form it doesn't look as bad as it feels when playing) - And yea, warning, very minor 'spoilers' since its a little into the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m9umlnVEwc

They are basically small jolts/freezes just as the sound starts playing.

I've tried the patches but this problem persists. The only thing that smoothens it out was the 'Stream=True' fix but that of course has some downsides as stated.

Try making a new profile and starting a new game AFTER you've modified your cfg. file and made sure the files from the 1st patch and newest patch are in your game directory (3 files). Run the game using the aamfp_stutter.exe . That stuttering is identical to what I experienced.
09-12-2013, 03:14 PM
Find
Woopzilla Offline

My setup is:
Intel i5 750
Asus P7P55D-LE
8GB DDR3 1333Mhz Corsair
ATi HD 5850
Windows 7 64-bit Pro

I think my HDD is a Hitachi Deskstar 7200rpm Sata II

I'm using default settings (high quality) and that was recorded with the SDL2.dll and aamfp_stutter.exe applied.

Edit: Yea, I did make a new profile and tried playing a bit but I still experienced stutter every so often.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 03:23 PM by Woopzilla.)
09-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Find
nebej Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 8

Did you start with a New Game when testing as jdw5000 said?
09-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Find
Woopzilla Offline

Yes, I launched the game and made a new profile and started a new game. I was experiencing stutter. Should I also change the settings in main_settings.cfg? I only applied the patch files but left all other settings default.
09-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Find
lovebunny Offline

I've done some more testing of different variations (all with the original *.snd and *.ogg files of course):
  1. Original aamfp.exe, original main_settings.cfg, patched SDL2.dll, new profile, new game: Stutters.
  2. Second aamfp_stutter.exe, original main_settings.cfg, original SDL2.dll, new profile, new game: Slightly better! Some freezes vanished. Don't know why I didn't notice on first test. Still stutteres when walking through doors.
  3. Latest aamfp_stutter.exe, original main_settings.cfg, original SDL2.dll, new profile, loaded game: Same as 2.
  4. Latest aamfp_stutter.exe, original main_settings.cfg, patched SDL2.dll, new profile, new game: Same as 2.
  5. Latest aamfp_stutter.exe, lowered main_settings.cfg (32, 4, 131072), original SDL2.dll, new profile, new game: Much better! No more reproducable stutters! :)
  6. Latest aamfp_stutter.exe, lowered main_settings.cfg, original SDL2.dll, new profile, loaded game: Same as 5.
  7. Latest aamfp_stutter.exe, lowered main_settings.cfg, original SDL2.dll, old profile (created by original aamfp.exe), loaded game: Stutteres!
So as they saied, you definitly have to create a new profile and start a new game using the latest aamfp_stutter.exe, or it won't work! Seems I can finally start playing this awesome game. But not before tonight, with lights of and headphones on. ;)

Win7 64Bit, GeForce GTX 560 Ti, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400, 6GB RAM, OCZ Vertex3 SSD, Steinberg UR22 audio interface.
09-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Find
Woopzilla Offline

Alright, I'll give it a go by also lowering the settings. I should be able to test this a bit later.
09-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Find
lovebunny Offline

(09-12-2013, 02:03 PM)nebej Wrote: lovebunny do you get small frequent stutters or do you get longer ones that are less frequent?
It were longer ones (up to half a second) and obvisiouly/reproducable related to sound events. So "less frequent" when standing still, "frequent" when actually playing the game.

Win7 64Bit, GeForce GTX 560 Ti, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400, 6GB RAM, OCZ Vertex3 SSD, Steinberg UR22 audio interface.
09-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Find
spidernetlabs Offline

Threads: 1

So, I have to start a new game and lose all my progress? That's sad. It would be neat If I can keep my current save. Smile
However, I can't test your patch since I'm on a Mac.

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 03:42 PM by spidernetlabs.)
09-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Website Find