Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The writing, oh the writing ........
Ossie Offline

Threads: 8
The writing, oh the writing ........

Just have to say how much I love the writing in this game - Dan has done a really tremendous job with the dialogue and the notes. Really outstanding. Big Grin
09-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Find
Tesseract Offline

Threads: 7
RE: The writing, oh the writing ........

Finally positive thoughts! I agree completely every note I found leading up to the first monster encounter made me more and more nervous.
09-10-2013, 11:14 PM
Find
gruzz Offline

Threads: 24

Before i say my opinion, i must say that i loved the game, perfectly scary for me! Smile

It just feels like the notes where kind of long, and also there where many complicated words that i did not quite understand, but i should probably have read them all!

Overall i honestly feel like i need to play the game again as i didn't really understood all of the story Tongue
09-10-2013, 11:19 PM
Find
lllDash Offline

Threads: 12

(09-10-2013, 11:19 PM)gruzzniotre Wrote: It just feels like the notes where kind of long...Overall i honestly feel like i need to play the game again as i didn't really understood all of the story Tongue

Same here, I thought there was too much that the player had to read. It wasn't as much of a chore in tDD because someone was reading it to you. But i did try to read every note I found and I still found the story to be confusing.

My Custom Story: KEY TO FREEDOM: http://www.moddb.com/mods/key-to-freedom
09-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Find
Ossie Offline

Can't say as I had a problem with the amount to read or the content, I loved it all. Smile
09-10-2013, 11:57 PM
Find
LarryV Offline

Threads: 1

I thought reading the notes was one of the game's strongest points; note were very well written and left a great revolting aftertaste in your mouth and brain.
09-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Find
Ossie Offline

I still can't get the writing (or voice acting) out of my head - both were perfect and complimented the game so very well.

If Dan ever writes a novel I'll be first in line to buy it. Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 06:28 PM by Ossie.)
09-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Find
aabbcc Offline

Threads: 1

(09-10-2013, 10:45 PM)Ossie Wrote: Dan has done a really tremendous job with the dialogue and the notes. Really outstanding. Big Grin

Agree.
Shame the plot was horrible, characters were flat and generic and there was no character development to speak of.

The way the story is presented is so at odds with itself its crazy.
At one hand you have this boring and predictable story of his kids and those pigs, and on the other hand you have a more interesting backstory.

A real shame all exposition is done through those notes instead of recordings, its slows down the game play unnecessarily and made me start skipping the notes just to get it on with the story at hand.

It started to piss me off eventually since i liked how they were written, but i just couldnt care enough about stuff you could predict a hour in advance. Also the redundant foreshadowing of him killing his kids was really pointless.
Yeah we get it, we got it 1h in, stop explaining the same thing 10x in different ways.
09-11-2013, 08:04 PM
Find
Lightice Offline

Threads: 0

(09-10-2013, 10:45 PM)Ossie Wrote: Just have to say how much I love the writing in this game - Dan has done a really tremendous job with the dialogue and the notes. Really outstanding. Big Grin

Very much agreed. The first Amnesia was clearly built with the game mechanics in mind, the plot added in relatively late to the production, built out of gothic horror tropes and Lovecraft references. A great game, to be sure, but not a terribly original story. A Machine for Pigs on the other hand was built with existing game mechanics, so the developers could wholly focus on the storytelling, and it shows. Thechineseroom managed to produce true existential horror with this game.
09-11-2013, 08:04 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

The writing is a huge improvement compared to TDD.
The diaries are very interesting to read - it's very similar to Penumbra's writing.

Only the "hints" which you can disable, are bad written like it was in TDD, but here I will re-create the texts again.

I haven't played the game through, but when I did, I will post a review.
I can just say - thes did a nice job and it's a fantastic game at all.
09-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Find