Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lighting in AAMFP
Gilligan's Hell Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 17
Lighting in AAMFP

I've seen hundreds of Screens (Official ones) and in the machine rooms the Lights are on but ingame there's Almost Zero Lighting which can be kinda Irritating in my opinion. Is the lack of lighting deliberate or is there something to turn on the lights?

The International Narcotics Traffic
09-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Find
Gotta Ramble Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Lighting in AAMFP

(09-11-2013, 12:49 PM)jeVonns Wrote: I've seen hundreds of Screens (Official ones) and in the machine rooms the Lights are on but ingame there's Almost Zero Lighting which can be kinda Irritating in my opinion. Is the lack of lighting deliberate or is there something to turn on the lights?
There is nothing to turn on the lights no.

But i really replied to this to say how i like the quote that you have for your signature.
09-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Find
Gilligan's Hell Offline
Posting Freak

(09-11-2013, 01:03 PM)Gotta Ramble Wrote:
(09-11-2013, 12:49 PM)jeVonns Wrote: I've seen hundreds of Screens (Official ones) and in the machine rooms the Lights are on but ingame there's Almost Zero Lighting which can be kinda Irritating in my opinion. Is the lack of lighting deliberate or is there something to turn on the lights?

But i really replied to this to say how i like the quote that you have for your signature.

Ok, maybe the screens and the trailers where from a alpha/beta.

Thanks! The Quote is from The Dark Descent.

09-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Find
Gotta Ramble Offline

Threads: 0

(09-11-2013, 01:05 PM)jeVonns Wrote:

Yeah thats why i liked it. To me it was the most sadisitc and bone chilling of those loading screen quotes.
09-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Find
Gilligan's Hell Offline
Posting Freak

(09-11-2013, 01:08 PM)Gotta Ramble Wrote:
(09-11-2013, 01:05 PM)jeVonns Wrote:

Yeah thats why i liked it. To me it was the most sadisitc and bone chilling of those loading screen quotes.
It's always been my favourite quote, my other is "Hold the hands of a liar. It must be easier. Dreams he fought to conquer, was there ever anything?"

09-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

I haven't played that far yet, but I started thinking about the lighting in AMFP yesterday. As far as I've played there's some sort of fog around all the time. That fog is colored dark blue/dark cyan - I'm assuming to create some sort of 'stylized darkness' different from the darkness achieved by the omission of lights.
Spoiler below!

[Image: MbH3Ram.jpg]

Just look at this printscreen I took yesterday.

So. Already at that point we have more light than the 'non-light' (= darkness = black in Amnesia. In AMFP we have 'stylized darkness' = dark blue/cyan) in the previous game, since anything other than black is actually light.

Other than that the cyan darkness gives a good background and contrast to the orange lights found in the game. The lantern, for example, shines an orange light and a lot of the industrial lights in the game shine an orange light. There's something about the combo of cyan + orange, which in my opinion, make things look good. Take for example a screenshot from the project I'm working on:
Spoiler below!

[Image: ModDBPir3_1.png]

Other than that I noticed that some of the lights inside the house had a purple+dark red hue to them, which also contrasts the 'background dark cyan/blue' well.

On the whole I think that there's plenty of light in AMFP. Plently of light within the frame of what's considered 'a dark and scary environment' so typically associated with a horror-game. I think that they've thought alot about the colors of the lighting and also about how they can do something interesting with the darkness that is ever-present in horror-games.

I'd have to finish the game to comment further :]

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

09-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Find
Gilligan's Hell Offline
Posting Freak

(09-11-2013, 01:50 PM)Acies Wrote: I haven't played that far yet, but I started thinking about the lighting in AMFP yesterday. As far as I've played there's some sort of fog around all the time. That fog is colored dark blue/dark cyan - I'm assuming to create some sort of 'stylized darkness' different from the darkness achieved by the omission of lights.
Spoiler below!

[Image: MbH3Ram.jpg]

Just look at this printscreen I took yesterday.

So. Already at that point we have more light than the 'non-light' (= darkness = black in Amnesia. In AMFP we have 'stylized darkness' = dark blue/cyan) in the previous game, since anything other than black is actually light.

Other than that the cyan darkness gives a good background and contrast to the orange lights found in the game. The lantern, for example, shines an orange light and a lot of the industrial lights in the game shine an orange light. There's something about the combo of cyan + orange, which in my opinion, make things look good. Take for example a screenshot from the project I'm working on:
Spoiler below!

[Image: ModDBPir3_1.png]

Other than that I noticed that some of the lights inside the house had a purple+dark red hue to them, which also contrasts the 'background dark cyan/blue' well.

On the whole I think that there's plenty of light in AMFP. Plently of light within the frame of what's considered 'a dark and scary environment' so typically associated with a horror-game. I think that they've thought alot about the colors of the lighting and also about how they can do something interesting with the darkness that is ever-present in horror-games.

I'd have to finish the game to comment further :]
Thanks and your project looks amazing.

09-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Find
Tesseract Offline

Threads: 7

I too love that ambient colour, it is intriguing because it works just like fog yet you can have it in different areas.

Blue and orange work beautifully together I recently found another two colours that work well together:
Spoiler below!

[Image: ocdkwvi.jpg]

This is a level I have been asked to make for someone and it's still under construction as - I have been making my own assets and texturing them. I find that the almost purple like colour works wonderfully with orange as well.

I look forward to this update to HPL2, not only because it will work well with 3DS Max but because these new fog areas look brilliant! I mentioned before that it's like post processing volumes in the UDK; they work the same way.
09-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Find
Gilligan's Hell Offline
Posting Freak

(09-11-2013, 03:23 PM)Delirium92 Wrote: I too love that ambient colour, it is intriguing because it works just like fog yet you can have it in different areas.

Blue and orange work beautifully together I recently found another two colours that work well together:
Spoiler below!

[Image: ocdkwvi.jpg]

This is a level I have been asked to make for someone and it's still under construction as - I have been making my own assets and texturing them. I find that the almost purple like colour works wonderfully with orange as well.

I look forward to this update to HPL2, not only because it will work well with 3DS Max but because these new fog areas look brilliant! I mentioned before that it's like post processing volumes in the UDK; they work the same way.

This update for HPL2 is going to help me alot. i'm making a FC that relies on the assets of AAMFP. You can check it out on ModDB "Amnesia - Intervene".

That is a great screenshot by the way, like to see that in a mod.

09-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Find